News Yow Yeh returns to rugby league

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
By Wayne Heming

BRISBANE, April 28 AAP - His Brisbane teammates, coach and the club's staff were all in the crowd cheering on as Broncos winger Jharal Yow Yeh returned to rugby league on Sunday afternoon.

Some 13 months after suffering a horrendous ankle injury, Yow Yeh turned out in the forwards for the Norths Devils in a Queensland Cup game at Brisbane's Bishop Park.

He had two stints, playing more than 30 minutes, and was so enthusiastic he almost knocked himself out making a tackle which quickly reminded him of how tough the game can be.

"It was a real thrill," said Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin, who along with the club's medical staff targeted Yow Yeh's comeback game a month ago.

"I was so nervous for him. The whole team was there, the players, the medical staff, some of our staff.

"He put his body on the line and nearly knocked himself out at one point."

Griffin said Yow Yeh, who is still a long way short of making an NRL comeback, had been an inspiration to his teammates since suffering his career-threatening ankle injury playing against South Sydney in Perth early in 2012.

"It's been a long 13 months, he's come through an awful lot and fought a lot of tough battles along the way," said Griffin.

"He was a long way short of a gallop but he made it back and it was sensational to see him out playing again.

"I can tell you everyone was holding their breath for him today."

Griffin said the club's doctors and physios would assess how Yow Yeh had come through his first game before deciding on their next move.

Fanrrior

Jul 26, 2012
Great to see he's coming back! He is Australia's best genuine winger in my opinion.

morkel

Graphics Guru
Apr 4, 2013
Various South East Queensland
Here's how I've seen it. Right from the start the doc's said that he'll never have the same flexibility. Early days, the Broncos were saying that he'll need to move in closer to the middle. Not that long ago I heard that there are certain movements, like pointing his toes up, that he has lost completely.

Today, he was played in the back row. I don't think today's game was about match fitness or testing out his range of movement. I suspect that today was for him to see if he could picture himself in the forwards. His limp sounds permanent. It's not like anything that happens in a match situation will force extra movement of flexibility above any of the countless drills & tests that he would have gone through.

If that is the case it would be a shame as he could have been an elite player. If it turns out that he is mentally prepared to take on the challenge of not only working around limitations that no one has ever overcome, but also changing positions, it will be huge if he can pull it off.

Reactions: Fanrrior

Fanrrior

Jul 26, 2012
Here's how I've seen it. Right from the start the doc's said that he'll never have the same flexibility. Early days, the Broncos were saying that he'll need to move in closer to the middle. Not that long ago I heard that there are certain movements, like pointing his toes up, that he has lost completely.

Today, he was played in the back row. I don't think today's game was about match fitness or testing out his range of movement. I suspect that today was for him to see if he could picture himself in the forwards. His limp sounds permanent. It's not like anything that happens in a match situation will force extra movement of flexibility above any of the countless drills & tests that he would have gone through.

If that is the case it would be a shame as he could have been an elite player. If it turns out that he is mentally prepared to take on the challenge of not only working around limitations that no one has ever overcome, but also changing positions, it will be huge if he can pull it off.
I'm sad to hear that. I hate seeing a player's career suffering because of an injury.

If Yow Yeh does end up in the forwards before his due, do you think he will have it in him to get into the Broncos 17?

morkel

Graphics Guru
Apr 4, 2013
Various South East Queensland
I'm sad to hear that. I hate seeing a player's career suffering because of an injury.

If Yow Yeh does end up in the forwards before his due, do you think he will have it in him to get into the Broncos 17?
I honestly don't know. He's a big kid, and it won't be a stretch for him to put on the bulk required. But even if the injury hadn't occurred, I think the attributes that made him an awesome winger are not necessarily transferrable to the back-row, in which case he may just be average at the role. His aerial game would be moot of course, as would his finishing ability out wide. Unfortunately the other things that made him a good winger, like speed off the mark & elusive footwork, are likely to never be as effective - and when you lose even 5% of that ability, you're way back amongst the also-rans.

Mr Chook

Apr 8, 2013
Sydney
I just can't see Yow Yeh getting a back row gig for the Broncos - too many quality players ahead of him.

The Red V

Apr 24, 2013
Good to see him back but I feel sorry for the fella because I cannot see him being any more then a park player from now on. Sad Story! You gotta feel sorry for him.

WhiteLineFever

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2013
I wish him all the best but I do also believe that he will not make it back to the NRL. Its a crying shame considering pre-injury he was almost, if not the best, winger Australia had to offer.

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
I wish him all the best. It will be a hard road if he is to make it back to the top grade. He has already had to overcome some horrendous bad luck and I for one couldn't be happier to see him playing again.

Reactions: H

H

Mod Squad
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
Brisbane
thenzwarriorsonline.com
Norths' Andrew Wynyard says he would welcome former Test winger Jharal Yow Yeh into the Devils' Intrust Super Cup side

• by: Brent O'Neill, Northside Chronicle
  • May 01, 2013 12:00AM

Jharal Yow Yeh made his comeback to rugby league in Sunday's FOGS Cup clash with Ipswich. Picture: Adam Smith. Source: The Courier-Mail
Former Test winger Jharal Yow Yeh's bid for a long-awaited NRL return has received another boost, with Norths coach Andrew Wynyard admitting he would welcome the Broncos star into the Devils' Intrust Super Cup side.
More than a year after suffering a horrific compound fracture of his right leg, Yow Yeh returned to the field on Sunday to help Norths overcome Ipswich in the FOGS Cup.
The 23-year-old was a late inclusion for the Devils after taking part in their final training session last week, and remains a week-two-week proposition as Brisbane medical staff monitor his progress.
While he will likely have to force his way back into the NRL via the Intrust Super Cup, Yow Yeh has received a major vote of confidence from Wynyard.
The Norths mentor said he was not sure whether Yow Yeh would back up this weekend, but believes a promotion to the Devils' top side is not far away.
"We all know that he can play NRL and has been at the highest level. When the Broncos say he's ready to play (Intrust Super) Cup, he will play cup," Wynyard said.

"It's probably up to (the Broncos) and his progress. One of the hardest things getting back from an injury is the confidence.
"Last week's game was more about getting him back on the paddock. It was seeing how his foot reacts to a game of football.
"It's the start of a long process. He's going to probably be in and out a lot while the foot is still healing."

Norths coach Andrew Wynyard says he will do all he can to help Jharal Yow Yeh. Picture: Russell Brown. Source: Quest Newspapers