Opinion Which unheralded player have you seen in the WC who you reckon is worth a punt at senior level?

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
As above. Talking about guys from the English Championship, Queensland Cup, etc, etc

TerryG

Voider of Warranties
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
thenzwarriorsonline.com
Kieran Foran isn't exactly unheralded, but in terms of a punt at senior level, I'd make him permanent captain of the Kiwis rather than stand-in captain when Mannering isn't about.

Captaining a team from the halves is ideal given these positions are the “helm” in attack. The list of notable halves captains reads like a who's who of RL legends: (in no particular order) J.T, Stacey Jones, John Sutton, Kevin Sinfield, Todd Carney, Jamie Lyon, Scott Prince, Darren Lockyer, Brett Hodgson, Robbie Paul, Peter Sterling, Jarrod Mullen, Kurt Gidley, Terry Campese etc.

Even Benji Marshall back in the day when he could be bothered getting his jersey muddy.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller

:)

It's amazing who might shine - when surrounded by a few top blokes. That Eng winger with the white hair night be ok.

You could probably put a few in the Aussie team and they might go better.

Amazing how some lift too - eg Clint Newton.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
Some of those Scot players have really shined. Some might say that Brough is unheralded but i remember the 08 WC and he was braining them then as well. Along with Lee Briers they are the two best play making and tactical stand off's in the world. It's a shame that the Aussies tend to look no further than the end of there noses when stating this player or that player is "the best player in state of origin" and thus by default the best player in the world. With the NZ Aussie infatuation for 6 foot + 100kg players in all positions world class footballers get ignored.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Yes, it's hard to imagine any NRL coach going for a half of Brough's size. He is tiny. But the likes of him and Briers do make for some great entertainment in Superleague.

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
Kieran Foran isn't exactly unheralded, but in terms of a punt at senior level, I'd make him permanent captain of the Kiwis rather than stand-in captain when Mannering isn't about.

Captaining a team from the halves is ideal given these positions are the “helm” in attack. The list of notable halves captains reads like a who's who of RL legends: (in no particular order) J.T, Stacey Jones, John Sutton, Kevin Sinfield, Todd Carney, Jamie Lyon, Scott Prince, Darren Lockyer, Brett Hodgson, Robbie Paul, Peter Sterling, Jarrod Mullen, Kurt Gidley, Terry Campese etc.

Even Benji Marshall back in the day when he could be bothered getting his jersey muddy.

Please no. Can't believe how overrated this guy is. The way that Gus Gould dribbles on about him makes me sick. He's average at best.

TerryG

Voider of Warranties
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
thenzwarriorsonline.com
Please no. Can't believe how overrated this guy is. The way that Gus Gould dribbles on about him makes me sick. He's average at best.

:eek:!

I can understand half of that...but,

1) It's not Foran's fault that Gus hasn't yet ;)d to death on his last pie. I NEVER watch those imbeciles from channel 9. They will rot your brain. But I am aware and am very sorry about how much Nine are spoiling the show for everyone including good footy folk like yourself Muppet.

2) Thomas James Leuluai's career started in 2003 and he's showing signs of wear and tear, that is, he's no longer playing in the World Cup. The Kiwi campaign would be poked without Foran in the halves, unless you can suggest someone better from the current squad?

SBW has played 5/8th for the Roosters, but that would mean not using SBW elsewhere,

3) Manly make a reasonably consistent showing in the NRL play-offs which is due more to Foran's presence in the halves than to DCE being there IMHO.

4) While Simon Mannering occasionally has his uses, he also has a mute button preferring to think everybody knows their job and will do it and that he doesn't need to fine tune the game plan. This is true in the Kiwis team, but it's not the case at the disappointing Warriors.

I'll go on the record now. Mannering's attitude makes him dysfunctional as an on-field leader. Frankly, ten Mannerings wouldn't add up to a Captain's ass-hole. I don't have the same problem with Foran as leader. But maybe someone else can chime in with their thoughts and enlighten me to different view.

There are some things we can agree on and smile about.

At least it's not Benji Marshall "leading" the squad.

Second, if we meet the Aussies in the finals, they will be older and slower than at the previous World Cup (JT, Cam Smith, GI, Cronk in their 30s and Slater's body not up to the job). I sense that the Kiwis are leaner, faster and hungrier for success and that we're in a good position to smash them!

England first though.:)

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Can't argue with much of that. I've never been a Sutton fan either; don't see anything special in him at all. Certainly doesn't deserve a place next to names like Stacey Jones and Peter Sterling.

Short of cover in the halves, though certainly. Foran is a tough little bugger, though, he doesn't get injured much, does he?

O f course, England aren't (short of cover in the halves): they've got a world-class half sitting on the bench (actually, not even sitting on the bench). :rolleyes:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I agree with Muppet. Sutton is seriously over rated. He is the weakness in their team. Gould is a goose who has dribbled over SOO for far to long.

On his day he can be a match winner. He's a player that needs some brilliance around him - but is quite strong in his own right.

TerryG

Voider of Warranties
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
thenzwarriorsonline.com
I bow to the forum's collective wisdom. We'll put a question mark next to Sutton's name as a leading halve/captain.

Maybe the Rabbitohs 2013 success is more down to Adam Reynolds, G.I., Isaac Luke or the brothers Burgii rather than leadership from the 5/8th.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
I bow to the forum's collective wisdom. We'll put a question mark next to Sutton's name as a leading halve/captain.

Maybe the Rabbitohs 2013 success is more down to Adam Reynolds, GI. Issac Luke or the brothers Burgii than leadership from the 5/8th.

Don't for a minute accept what me and Muppet say as gospel about Sutton. We all have an opinion and no has a more relevant opinion than anyone else around here. Hells bells, i thought the French would beat Samoa for starters :D

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
Don't for a minute accept what me and Muppet say as gospel about Sutton. We all have an opinion and no has a more relevant opinion than anyone else around here. Hells bells, i thought the French would beat Samoa for starters :D

Very true.

TerryG

Voider of Warranties
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
thenzwarriorsonline.com
I don't often agree with the NZ Herald but...

League: Foran named Kiwis' Player of the Year
8:43 AM Tuesday Dec 10, 2013

17a076e024ad19ed03eef4c1498e56ad50b5ab72_300x201.jpg

Kieran Foran. Photo / Getty Images

Kiwis five-eighth Kieran Foran has been crowned New Zealand Rugby League's Kiwis 'Player of the Year'.

Foran is the second recipient of the Steve Watene Memorial Medal, first awarded to Jeremy Smith last year.

The Manly Sea Eagles player captained the Kiwis for the first time this year, in Simon Mannering's absence in the test against Australia in April and has now clocked up 15 tests for New Zealand.

Centre Dean Whare has been named Kiwis `Rookie of the Year'.

The judging period didn't include the recently-completed Rugby League World Cup in the UK.

==============================================

And to think at one stage, his Doctors said he would never play footy again.

338501-kieran-foran.jpg

http://www.silvertails.net/news/latest-sea-eagles-news/5859-doctors-told-foran-to-forget-footy