Discussions What counts as a sport?

Tucklishchap

Aug 19, 2021
London, England
The definition of sport seems to be widening all the time as we have seen (for example) from the growing array of Olympic sports on offer.

I’m sure this is a good thing but sometimes it seems so broad that even two guys having a farting contest could be said to be engaging in sport, as long as they had score cards, etc.

I tend to take a traditional view and think of sport as an activity that involves both upper and lower body (and the brain), team work as well as individual effort and is competitive. Rugby is a sport, as are Fencing and Shooting, but Billiards and Pool are games. The martial arts are, as their name suggests, art forms.

What do others think about this?

Reactions: S J

Roger Rabbit

Involved Member
Feb 6, 2018
The definition of sport seems to be widening all the time as we have seen (for example) from the growing array of Olympic sports on offer.

I’m sure this is a good thing but sometimes it seems so broad that even two guys having a farting contest could be said to be engaging in sport, as long as they had score cards, etc.

I tend to take a traditional view and think of sport as an activity that involves both upper and lower body (and the brain), team work as well as individual effort and is competitive. Rugby is a sport, as are Fencing and Shooting, but Billiards and Pool are games. The martial arts are, as their name suggests, art forms.

What do others think about this?
Martial arts are sports but also a lifestyle. I am happy for them to be in the Olympics, including boxing and wrestling.

Tucklishchap

Aug 19, 2021
London, England
Martial arts are sports but also a lifestyle. I am happy for them to be in the Olympics, including boxing and wrestling.
I expressed myself badly; I’m more than happy for them to be in the Olympics and have great respect for them. I just think of them more as art forms and lifestyles as you say.
Also Boxing and Wrestling are very much sports of course. I’m not trying to impose any strict or dogmatic view at all, but I’m interested by the way in which the definition of sport seems much wider now than in previous generations.

Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
I have to say that I also think of these as more ‘games’ than ‘sports’!
anything that involves a "physical" or even "mental " competition between humans could be called a sport.
Chess is a serious sport for the brain but provides little as a spectator sport
politics is a blood sport but you are hardly likely to see it at the olympics.....unless they have debating "sport".

They are just trying to keep the Olympics "fresh" for generational change which is why we no longer see "tug o war" sport and now have BMX and skateboarding.
Not my cup of tea but the younger ones love it so it was included

I wouldnt have thought "synchronised swimming" is a sport either but it is.

For the Queensland Olympics I would hope they have sporting events like Thong or gumboot tossing with Bruce McBinchicken face as the mascot.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
anything that involves a "physical" or even "mental " competition between humans could be called a sport.
Chess is a serious sport for the brain but provides little as a spectator sport
politics is a blood sport but you are hardly likely to see it at the olympics.....unless they have debating "sport".

They are just trying to keep the Olympics "fresh" for generational change which is why we no longer see "tug o war" sport and now have BMX and skateboarding.
Not my cup of tea but the younger ones love it so it was included

I wouldnt have thought "synchronised swimming" is a sport either but it is.

For the Queensland Olympics I would hope they have sporting events like Thong or gumboot tossing with Bruce McBinchicken face as the mascot.

I guess there is no limit to it really. Unless its restricted to the original "sports" - if they still exist. The idea of why we held the games is still there - I suppose BMX has replaced the chariot racing ... ;)

Roger Rabbit

Involved Member
Feb 6, 2018
I would definitely consider tennis a sport. Skateboarding is a sport too. If they want as many people as possible to watch the Olympics on TV then they have to move with the times. I know most of the old boomers don't like change, and often get angry when they don't understand the why the change should happen, but we have to adapt and change.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I would definitely consider tennis a sport. Skateboarding is a sport too. If they want as many people as possible to watch the Olympics on TV then they have to move with the times. I know most of the old boomers don't like change, and often get angry when they don't understand the why the change should happen, but we have to adapt and change.

Its not all about change or age etc. I do get sick of this silly comment - especially when we know why you do it.

I know plenty of young people who feel the same way. They don't want BMX in there. Many feel golf shouldn't be there. People like the history of the Games - not because they are old or young - but because they have an opinion.

I love tennis and footie but I don't think they should be there.

Its not an age thing - its a point of view. But - carry on if it makes you happy.

Reactions: Tucklishchap

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
What does count as a "sport" ?

I've given it some thought.

Presumably it is competitive ? More than one can play. It doesn't require heaps of money.

I'd say it has to be active - but as StG said - is Chess a sport ? Your brain is active.

Maybe it has to get the heart moving - ie pulse up.

So almost any activity I guess can count as a sport - from walking to running, jumping, playing with a ball (no ... :) ) ... , to almost anything we do. It can be amateur and professional. It can be single or teams.

So anything can be a sport if promoted as one ... :) If any action/activity is involved - especially if it is competitive. Perhaps even reading ?

Back in Pheidippides day I'd say no-one ever thought of running up the stairs in the Empire State Building would ever happen.

Reactions: Tucklishchap

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
just thought I would throw this out there.
the boss of the Olympics has omitted three sports from their LA games list.
BOXING
WEIGHTLIFTING
MODERN PENTATHLON.

Basically he has said if those federations want to try to get their "sport" included
Boxing and weight lifting will have to change their rules particularly how they judge due to "corruption' etc.

Modern Pentathlon will have to replace the horse riding event with a more modern sport that appeals to "Young People"
why? because a coach was seen to slap a horse.

shonky judging has always been an issue with boxing while weight lifting has been plagues by drug use and now letting men who identify as women compete
It was only media and social pressure that caused the new zealand heavyweight to fold just like the french runner who was odds on to beat Freeman in 2000.

No mention by the olympic boss on transgender competitors in track and field though.