Auto Poster Warriors Blake Green sees positives in picking up hamstring injury

Stuff News Articles

Auto Poster
Apr 23, 2013
Getty Images

Blake Green picked up his hamstring injury at Tuesday's training session.

Injured Warriors five-eighth Blake Green believes it could work out to be beneficial for the club for him to be injured right now.

The biggest scare for the Warriors this season is if Green picks up a significant injury, now the Shaun Johnson is no longer at the club.

Green is helping to get rookies Chanel Harris-Tevita and Adam Keighran up to speed for the start of the new season, but the club will get an early taste of what life would be like without Green this week as he picked up a hamstring injury.

Thankfully for the Warriors, the injury isn't that serious, but it will hamper his build up for the new season.

READ MORE
* Gavet's reserve grade claim
* Warriors halves written off
* Blake Green injury fears

Green was on the field during the Warriors' training session on Thursday, giving advice.

But for the next few weeks it will be Harris-Tevita and Keighran running the moves in the halves.

But rather than view this as a negative, Green believes his injury will help Harris-Tevita and Keighran grow as players.

"It's a good opportunity because they'll get two full weeks of training without me being on the field," Green told Stuff.

"They're going really well, they'll learn on the run and it's probably going to help their understanding of the game even further I reckon."

As for his injury, the 32-year-old Green said it occurred while in the middle of a training session this week.

"I picked up a hamstring strain on Tuesday at training," he said.

"We were just doing a skills session.

"It's nothing major to worry about, a couple of weeks and I'll be back out there."

The Warriors' first trial game is against the Storm in Geelong on February 22, while their other one is against Wests Tigers in Whangarei a week later.

While Green's injury isn't serious, he's unlikely to play in the first of these games and questionable for the second.

"I haven't really looked that far ahead," he said.

"To be honest, I probably wasn't going to be playing in the first trial anyway and it's up to Mooks (Warriors coach, Stephen Kearney), to see if I was going to play in the last one.

"But I'm pretty confident that I'll be ready to go for that one it's not until four weeks' time."

* MORE TO COME

Continue reading...