Travel Thread

Beery Goodness

Perpetually Bewildered
Apr 3, 2013
Off with the pixies
Where has everbody been?
What do you like about it?
What's your favourite destination and why?
Do you prefer things or an exerience?
5 Star or backpacking?
Traps and scams?
Places to go and avoid?

H

Mod Squad
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
Brisbane
thenzwarriorsonline.com
I like cruising. It's laid back and relaxing. Most things are included in the price. Except of course alcohol and whatever day trips you do when you arrive in port.

H

Mod Squad
Staff member
Apr 3, 2013
Brisbane
thenzwarriorsonline.com
One thing that needs checking out before going overseas is the availability of phone and Internet connections. Went to NZ in January this year and I may as well have left my smartphone at home for all the good it was to me. Roaming price is ridiculous and I couldn't log into any free wi fi anywhere.

nodd

Apr 4, 2013
hiding from the kids
Fiji was excellent. The people are so friendly, the islands beautiful, and if you have kids, plantation island is the place to go.

Diving was excellent as well.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I always take my mini Dell which has wifi.

I can use hotel, airport lounge, maccas etc to connect.

Only use my mobile in emergencies or sms.

Mr Chook

Apr 8, 2013
Sydney
Fiji was excellent. The people are so friendly, the islands beautiful, and if you have kids, plantation island is the place to go.
Diving was excellent as well.
Interesting you mentioned that as I was looking at taking the family to Fiji for a holiday and was thinking Plantation island. I went there when I was a kid back in 1979 and pretty much spent the entire week with a snorkel and flippers on, absolutely loved it. Did you stay in the Hotel or get a hut on the beach?

nodd

Apr 4, 2013
hiding from the kids
Interesting you mentioned that as I was looking at taking the family to Fiji for a holiday and was thinking Plantation island. I went there when I was a kid back in 1979 and pretty much spent the entire week with a snorkel and flippers on, absolutely loved it. Did you stay in the Hotel or get a hut on the beach?
We were a bit back from the beach, in a 1 bedroom garden bure. 2mins to pool, mini golf, tennis and bar resteraunt, 5 minutes to beach and main bar/resort facilities/shops. Was great. nice and quiet great for the kids, especially if they are 8-18. Ours are younger but still had a ball.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
We were in Fiji many years ago - lovely. Then did a split Singapore/Hong Kong trip.

Hong Kong has changed so much though - the smog from the mainland often covers the night sky completely.

We loved Ireland. And the USA. And Istanbul was a real adventure.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I like cruising. It's laid back and relaxing. Most things are included in the price. Except of course alcohol and whatever day trips you do when you arrive in port.
Never cruised - except for a 5 nighter on the Aegean. Visiting all the islands. A week in Athens too. Magnificent City.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
My top 5 - in no order:

- Route 66;
- Gallipoli/Istanbul/Athens;
- A baseball game in the USA;
- London and Paris;
- Ireland.

But - Ireland was magnificent - we hired a car and just drove - no bookings, or arrangements. Just drove and stopped where we were.

We love the UK and the USA. Favourite cities include Chicago, NYC, Memphis, Quebec, Seattle, Sanfrancisco, Washington, Dallas, Vegas (of course - not for the gambling), Santa Fe, Winslow, St Louis, Deadwood, Cody, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Denver, and - Boston !

We've done a few tours though the USA. Probably been to most states in one way or another - even Hawaii.

While not what it was - Hong Kong is still great.

Dreams- we want to do a Nile trip, and visit the Taj Mahal and India. Been into China but wasn't overly impressed.

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
Been to Sydney 4 times. Once when I was a school kid with the family, once as a teenager with my mates and twice more for Grand final trips. One of those was an all expenses paid trip by Vodafone that I won in a comp to watch the warriors play manly in 2011. Unfortunately, we lost.

Have been to the Gold Coast once on my honeymoon.

That is the tale of my travels so far. I also need to do more.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Been to Sydney 4 times. Once when I was a school kid with the family, once as a teenager with my mates and twice more for Grand final trips. One of those was an all expenses paid trip by Vodafone that I won in a comp to watch the warriors play manly in 2011. Unfortunately, we lost.

Have been to the Gold Coast once on my honeymoon.

That is the tale of my travels so far. I also need to do more.
Well - one day I'll invite you to Bribie (Island).

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Bribie+Island&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=J3S5Udv8H86kigfm2oDADw&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=911

Beery Goodness

Perpetually Bewildered
Apr 3, 2013
Off with the pixies
Had my honeymoon in Fiji back in '85, January. Two fairly destructive guys called Eric and Nigel decided that they'd visit at the same time. Spent the entire time either trying not to get killed by the cyclones or cleaning up after them. Still want to go back one day though.

On another note, off to Dubai for a week in October, really looking forward to it

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I came her to ask about Fiji!

My son and his g/f are doing a bit of a world tour, he's here this weekend, and it'll be the last time I see him for most of this year. They are flying out to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, followed by Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Australia (flying into Brisbane, then straight up to Cairns, and then down the Queensland coast, ending up in Sydney). Then quite a while in NZ, initially in Auckland, followed by Fiji. Then they return via the US. His half-brother divides his time between the US and China (married to a Chinese woman), so I expect he'll catch up with him. So I was going to ask abut Fiji, so it's good to see some good reports upthread.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
As above, they are in Australia now, although a long way from most of youse guys (Cairns, I think). His last post on FB (which may mean more to you than it does me) says "...got the Great Barrier Reef Thurs then mission beach skydive Saturday! Magnetic island, Whitsunday Islands and Fraser Island coming in next few weeks. Then the outback!".

They spent ages in Vietnam; absolutely loved it, and, I assume, preferred it to Cambodia, cos they weren't there anywhere near as long.

Reactions: H