Opinion Time for a Second Tier SOO ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
is it time for a second tier SOO.

Victoria v WA v SA ? Winner to play NT ?

What better way to develop a code than give players something to aspire to AND be noticed by major teams.

But - none of this GI stuff. You must be born in the State/Territory you play for - that's it - ie STATE OF ORIGIN !

Maybe play the game as a pre-cursor to the main SOO games ?

Last edited:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Idea has merit but do the other states have enough players of that standard?
I reckon so. Vics have now produced a few. WA too. SA is a good spot as well. NT quite strong - see the Aboriginal TV games.

PNG clearly is strong enough.

Can't hurt to try IMO.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Do you still feel that this is a goer S J S J?

I would be happy to explore the idea, perhaps including PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, etc. The more the merrier, I say, but it should not interfere with the top tier Origin, though. We do not want to muck up such a winning formula. We want to build on the successes the game has in this respect, and that can only be a good thing IMO.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Do you still feel that this is a goer S J S J?

I would be happy to explore the idea, perhaps including PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, etc. The more the merrier, I say, but it should not interfere with the top tier Origin, though. We do not want to muck up such a winning formula. We want to build on the successes the game has in this respect, and that can only be a good thing IMO.
Can't see why not. It would not affect the top SOO game but could be a curtain raiser - along with the girls - ie 3 games ?

Might annoy those players born outside NSW/Qld ... :)