Off Topic The car thread

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
So quick update on my motor. Got it dyno tuned in Christchurch on friday. Pretty much got what i wanted from the re-tune, 390hp (311@the rear wheels) and about a 10% fuel economy saving. To go with it they retune the transmission as well. Another thing is my car can now only properly run on 98 octane fuel or better.
Now as luck would have i have been offered a OTR (Over the radiator cold air intake...or ram air) very cheap.

Note: not my car but very similar to mine. The OTR is the triangle thing at the front of the engine.
Normally these are about $1000nz dollars but i've been offered a near new one for $200nz dollars, which properly installed will add another 5 to 7kilowatt to my car or give me around 400hp at the engine. The down side is i'll have to get a touch up tune done on my car as it is now what is know as being a MAFless tune (no longer runs the stock mass air flow meter to tell the engine how much air is coming into the engine. The MAF sensor is replaced by the absolute air pressure already in the car and the computer uses that along with a new set of spark tables to calculate the fuel/air ratio making it more responsive and aggressive.
Oh, and the tune of friday cost me $1100 (normally it costs $1500)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I use Caltex 95 ulp - it seems to give me better efficiency and clean.

They did a survey some years back and 95 beat both 98 and 91. BUT -the biggest plus to me - and this was confirmed by mechanics - was that the 95 seemed to leave engines cleaner than the other two.

I'm far from a driving expert but do drive long distances a few times a year - ie just under 1000klm in the day. Generally averaging around 90k/hr over the day - which includes towns etc. I have at least 3 stops on the day (morning tea / lunch - petrol top up / afternoon tea). Takes me just over 11 hours.

People ask why we don't fly but I love the driving - the little towns, the animals you see - not driving other cars ... , and the stops.

Its always been part of our holiday - the drive up and back.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
VE Calais V. Holden.

We started buying Calais' a few years ago. They are supreme cars. Bigger seats, great dash, all the mod cons. Very comfortable. And they love the open road. Quite wide wheels - but expensive to replace. 245/45/R18 Bridgestone's.

One silly thing I like - you can design the drivers view for what you like - and I have it on speed. so when I'm driving I get a larger than life speed in front of me. I use cruise and the warnings etc - and my GPS, but having a speed right in front of me is great. I have the needle of course but this isn't as good IMO. There's the tacho of course - but I tend to use this just to keep an eye on revs at times.

I find I use the clock as a better guide to things. The GPS also gives you warnings and an actual speed of course.

Reactions: Northern_Union

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
A recent picture of my ram air effect over the radiator intake with colour coded engine covers and gloss black painted radiator shroud. Currently pumping out around 396hp.

Next i think is a high flowing 3 inch exhaust, replacing my high flowing 2.5 inch Coby exhaust. Hopefully that will give me my 400hp i'm looking for. Also considering a ported and polished throttle body for an extra 1 to 2 hp.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
That looks a right beast you have there, NU!

Got my bike taxed, serviced, and fettled for the Spring the other day, it was delivered back to me on Thursday night, so I've been able to use it for work the last couple of days. It's still running very sweetly for a fifteen year old, which is quite old for a bike over here with the wet winters. Think I'm going to treat myself to a new helmet today; I've had my current one for ages, and it's looking pretty scruffy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75837558@N00/5132793020/in/photostream/

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Well servicing is not cheap, but I'm not running an economy bike. Road tax is £80 a year, and insurance quite cheap at my age, much cheaper than my Alfa. The bike is actually quite decent on fuel, it will do 45+ miles per gallon on a run, and I hope to give it a few in the summer. I did buy a helmet, but unfortunately the weather forecast for tomorrow is not good, and anyway I have other things to do. Watching the Challenge Cup game will be one of them. :)

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
Well since that picture was taken i have installed a performance cam shaft which now makes my car sound like a V8 race car lol. The car shakes all over the place on idle. Also replaced my performance exhaust with a high performance exhaust. So all up it is now making close to 440hp oraround 266 rear wheel kilowats. It's a handful!
Now that i have all that power my traction control is playing up. It has a tendency to turn it's self at random which doesn't inspire confidence. I think i have it nailed down to a faulty switch which i am replacing.
Also i am about to install a new double din head unit as well, one of these:
It's all the bells and whistles, touch screen and the like.
And here is a recent video of the car. It's the after video of a before and after. Before you mention anything i am getting the exhaust tips removed back a bit as they stick out to far currently.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller