Opinion Sports Hoaxes !

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I'll start - StG asked me how I won at the Egg and Spoon. He suggested I boiled the egg - ie brought my own egg for the race.

Not a bad idea - but no.

I did explain it once before - but - we use to have these races every year at my Dad's business Christmas Party. A great day - especially for family and kids. One of the races was the egg and spoon - which I often won.

My trick was to slide my thumb forward slightly - thus imprisoning the egg on the spoon - ie it couldn't roll off. You could run faster that way.

One year - I was only about 7 or 8 - I was employing my "secret" move and (so I was told later) a man who worked at the place standing next to my Dad said - look - that kid is holding the egg down ! My Dad - who was the main Boss - smiled and said - yes - that's my son - I taught him to do that ! The bloke didn't say anything else.

I've always smiled at that story - and its one I always remember when I think of my Dad. He was fairly hard in his way - but had a good sense of humour and always stuck up for us boys.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
so not only were you using sneaky tactics you also had the advantage of nepotism?......Cant do that these days or they would call you out for cheating a bit like Hopoate's penchant for using Chinese movies as inspiration for his tackling style?.:D

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
so not only were you using sneaky tactics you also had the advantage of nepotism?......Cant do that these days or they would call you out for cheating a bit like Hopoate's penchant for using Chinese movies as inspiration for his tackling style?.:D
Little Jack Horner …

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Here is a good sporting Hoax.....DCE said he was signing and going to play for the Titans:D
But as we all know it was just a ploy to milk more money from the Seagles to stay

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
On a more serious note, as I assume this thread is a reference to Cooper Cronk and the GF; I can't say I'd thought about it too much, but I did read on one of the Press threads on here a good piece about the Cronk saga, which, it argued, brought the sport into disrepute. I must admit, it largely persuaded me. As the writer said, if you can't trust a doctor, who can you trust? For the Roosters' doctor to lie on the record cannot be good.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
On a more serious note, as I assume this thread is a reference to Cooper Cronk and the GF; I can't say I'd thought about it too much, but I did read on one of the Press threads on here a good piece about the Cronk saga, which, it argued, brought the sport into disrepute. I must admit, it largely persuaded me. As the writer said, if you can't trust a doctor, who can you trust? For the Roosters' doctor to lie on the record cannot be good.
NO - I started it and can say - truthfully - he didn't enter my head.

BUT - it is a good one - when a Coach tells "lies" about a player. Qld do it every year in SOO.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Sure all coaches employ a few mind games about whether players are fit and able to play, SJ, but I think in the case of the Roosters things went way beyond the norm. Do you think if the Roosters had come out and said they were going to play him with a fracture, the NRL would have done nothing?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Sure all coaches employ a few mind games about whether players are fit and able to play, SJ, but I think in the case of the Roosters things went way beyond the norm. Do you think if the Roosters had come out and said they were going to play him with a fracture, the NRL would have done nothing?
True Moto. They may have had to step in.

I'm never sure about needles either. They say you can't use performance enhancing drugs - yet someone who can't play without a needle or two is OK.

I feel it was a lot of mind games but Bellyache would have assumed Cooper was playing.

Reactions: stanleyg

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
I totally disagree. The media doesn't have a right to know everything about the team like they think they do. The Roosters kept it a secret to give themselves more of a chance of winning. Love them or hate them, the Roosters played it perfectly.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Fair enough, if that's your view. But you could as well substitute 'fans' for 'media'. The Roosters could have stone-walled, and refused to make any statement at all, as often happens. Which would have been fair enough. But for me, they went beyond that, and into murkier waters.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Just playing ducks and drakes really. Trying to pretend someone may not play. Not sure if affected Melbourne at all. Might get a few sales for Jersey 23 though … :)

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
True Moto. They may have had to step in.

I'm never sure about needles either. They say you can't use performance enhancing drugs - yet someone who can't play without a needle or two is OK.
I am sure about needles......If you need them to play then you shouldnt be on the field.

Example......Changa in the Grand final against the Rorters:banghead:. To think of it still upsets my ulcer:wacky:.

The Roosters really should be under investigation for putting Cronk on the field in his condition. If he had copped a decent tackle and his shoulder blade splintered it could have been serious as well as years of litigation against the club for compensation.

Perhaps if a player happens to go off or be sidelined with an injury they might need and independent Dr to clear him. Not saying a club quack would be bias but they are under pressure to clear players to play.