Discussions Sports Followed During the Off Season

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
I thought I would create a thread to cover those sports followed during the NRL off season. I must admit that I am not overly excited about the NRL Nines in Perth given: 1. I won't be there; and 2. my Roosters are unlikely to field a strong and competitive team given we will be focusing on the World Club Challenge the following week. 23 February cannot come quick enough. I am even looking forward to our trial against the Knights in Gosford on 29 February. We are closer to the start of the pre-season than last year's Grand Final! I tend to take an interest in the following sports during this long off season (given I don't have FOX or Optus Sports, free to air TV and Macquarie Sports radio tends to shape my priorities):
  • A-League (Sydney FC): I have to watch these matches on FOX wherever I can; e-mails, app;
  • Big Bash cricket (I follow the Sydney Sixers): I love this three to four hour format after work;
  • NBL and NBA (Sydney Kings, Lakers, Sacramento Kings): it is good that matches are on SBS;
  • EPL (Tottenham Hotspur, Everton, Leicester, WBA): mainly restricted to the MSR radio coverage;
  • English rugby premiership (Bristol Bears): mainly from apps, internet coverage and my e-mails;
  • I like MLB (Red Sox, Cubs, Blue Jays), NFL (Bears, Patriots on 7 Mate), and NHL (Red Wings).
What do my fellow league supporters and tragics do during this protracted period?

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I always watch the Superbowl - and keep a reasonable eye on things. We have a Superbowl Day - BBQ etc every year.

Love the MLB and ABL.

I guess my main thing is the cricket - although it never bloody ends. Fox has someone playing somewhere every minute of the day. :)

Don't really care about basketball or soccer - but do read results. I also keep an eye on the AFL - but that is in-season I guess :) If Commonwealth/Olympic Games on I watch Aussies at times.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
I haven't watched the Superbowl live, I must say. I will have to one day. Having the NFL on Seven Mate does make accessing it a whole lot easier. I have a work colleague that has a Superbowl party at her house every year without fail. I don't think she follows any other sports.

The cricket tests are too long and a bit boring. I have gone off them. I prefer the BBL!

I would love to go to and watch an EPL match one day. The atmosphere looks amazing.

NBL and NBA is now more accessible via SBS. That helps raise the interest levels.

The AFL is good, too, and Seven's coverage there helps as well. Go the Demons. A massive contrast to the Roosters last season. Hopefully that will correct itself.

Olympics and Commonwealth games are okay, but I am more of a casual fan of those. I did attend the Sydney games, however, and was there to see Cathy Freeman win the gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: S J

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I can't raise any enthusiasm for American football, but I watch the highlights of the English RU Premiership, and the odd live game they screen, I think RU has improved a lot in recent years, there seem to be a lot more tries scored, and skill levels are improving., but they still have a long way to go, and the logic of their rules means that subtlety will always play second to brute strength.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
You are correct, it is improving, but it is not a patch on rugby league, though! I think we would all agree on that. I don't get to watch English rugby. I am sure that it would be a reasonable product; it just would not attract that much interest out here to be honest.