Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rugby League Souths - 2019 Pre-Season

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by callmack1, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Redfern Express

Redfern Express Active Member

Yeh you'd think for team harmony AJ will get first crack at fullback. Just maybe coaches like Seibold and Bennett see more in him at the back then all the armchair critics that give their expert analysis on forums. The only reason his form dipped last year was because of his hamstring issues and I still think they may have been connected to nerves in the lower back.If he's pain and injury free this year you might see a Bennett coached AJ absolutely killing it back there.

Themacemaceman likes this.
  2. Redfern Express

Seriously, why would Bennett muck around with what was arguably the best left side attack in the NRL and probably world last year.

3. southsport

southsport Well-Known Member

Good point but maybe Wayne is just running AJ at fullback until GI returns to full training.

callmack1 likes this.
  4. Redfern Express

I think AJ will start at fullback and GI at centre.Our defence will suffer without GI in the line . Other teams backrowers and fullbacks will have a field day running at our other options. I like Burns , but defensively he's not a GI. GI at fullback will strengthen our attack but defensively it will weaken our backline. I'll be quite happy with AJ or Allen as our fullback this year . I very much doubt GI can get back to his 2013 /2014 form again so I'm happy having him in a position that he will be pressing for immortal status in.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    callmack1 likes this.
  5. southsport

As training progresses over next month or so we should have some indication of which way Wayne will go regarding the team line-up.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  6. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Well-Known Member

Is GI back to full training yet?

It’s great having Burns and Allen there too in the mix and it’ll be great when Douiehi is back.

Hiroti if needed could play a few games too, hopefully he’s getting stronger and stronger and will be a shining light in our ISP.

Sorry to point out a negative but Gagan doesn’t fill me with any confidence at all......

7. Rabbits 21

I have to agree Southy.

RE in week two finals or a prelim where it really counts sorry but AJ doesn’t fill me with confidence. A 60-70percent GI fitness wise however fills me with confidence...

8. Rabbits 21

Be interesting if Campbell does train at centre more and Gags on wing.

Gagai and AJ on the wing with Campbell at centre and Jennings at centre would be interesting...

Campbell is still learning though so probs best he stays on his wing...

Hopefully Wayne can fix our right edge defence.... that’s where we tend to get caught out.

I think Sam will be in the back row but just putting it out there as a smokey, I know Murray’s best position is lock but he would really sure up our defence on that right edge back row...

callmack1 likes this.
  9. callmack1

callmack1 Well-Known Member

I thought Gags had an okay 2018. It certainly wasn't as good as it probably should have been but it was okay. As Southy mentioned, he wasn't given many good ball opportunities in open space due to Crichton not passing and constantly dying with the ball or him passing when Gagai doesn't have much space to work with. Hopefully Wayne can fix this with Gags and whoever that right edge second rower is, whether it's Sam or Murray.

I'm really hoping to see Gags be the strike weapon we all know he can be this year.

I've also been thinking a lot about our fullback situation. Now, I haven't decided who I want there out of AJ or Allan yet but I've decided that I don't think GI should go back there. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to as in his prime he's one of the best fullbacks ever and gee, that'd hugely strengthen the side. However, at his age and the injury history he's had, I'm not sure if GI can handle a whole year at fullback. Yes, he's super fit leading into the 2019 Season but the increased workload and general wear and tear of the fullback position might just be too much for him to handle now. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying that it is potentially a big risk. Come finals time (if we make it), I'd much rather have a fresh, fit, energetic and damaging Inglis in the centres then a worn down, less effective Inglis at fullback. Just my opinion and I trust that GI and Wayne will make the best decision.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:47 AM
  10. southsport

It will be interesting if GI plays centre and Corey Allan claims the fullback spot, who misses out then?

11. Rabbits 21

Probably Campbell may miss if that were to happen:

Allan
    AJ
    GI
    Gagai
    Jennings

12. Rabbits 21

Can we make a grand final let alone win a premiership with Allan or AJ at fullback though?

13. callmack1

callmack1 Well-Known Member

Well that's all unknown at the moment.

If AJ claims the fullback spot, Bennett might just unlock something in him and get the best out of him. If Allan gets the spot, he might emerge as a genuine superstar.

You just never know.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  14. southsport

Of course we can !!!

15. Redfern Express

Let's see AJ with another pre-season under his belt. He certainly wasn't 100% with his hamstring injury at the back end of last season. As much as I'd like to see it , GI's body probably won't hold out long at fullback given his age and size.

callmack1 and southsport like this.
  16. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:54 PM
    callmack1 likes this.
  17. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

South Sydney Rabbitohs HM Squad
    Botany:
    Mitchell Reeve
    Concord Burwood: Joseph Nohra
    Coogee Randwick: Christian Smirnotis, Davvy Moale, Drew Williams, Emmanuel Di Bartolo, Epeli Lavaki, Faresa Palu, Joseph Suaalii, Luca Ace-Nasteski
    La Perouse: Rasharyn Marr
    Maroubra: Braydon Jang, Carson Kaho, Clement Halaholo, Izayah Tuigamala, Jonathan Chan Kum Tong, Naati Teaupa, William Taliai
    Mascot: Cooper McGrath, Ryan McGrath
    Newtown: Ame Cottrell, Dranza Hawe-De-Thierry, Hennessy Ofria-Hunt, Joshua Mocevakaca, Ratu Isireli Tuvana Vesikula
    TBC: Terrell Kalo Kalo

*Possible errors - junior clubs from 2018

Source: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...ID=17172&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=64311486

callmack1 likes this.