Rugby League Souths - 2019 Pre-Season

Redfern Express

Aug 4, 2018
This posted today on another site:

"They both trained today. AJ solely at Fullback and Jennings on left wing."
Yeh you'd think for team harmony AJ will get first crack at fullback. Just maybe coaches like Seibold and Bennett see more in him at the back then all the armchair critics that give their expert analysis on forums. The only reason his form dipped last year was because of his hamstring issues and I still think they may have been connected to nerves in the lower back.If he's pain and injury free this year you might see a Bennett coached AJ absolutely killing it back there.

Reactions: Themacemaceman

Redfern Express

Aug 4, 2018

Seriously, why would Bennett muck around with what was arguably the best left side attack in the NRL and probably world last year.

Redfern Express

Aug 4, 2018
Good point but maybe Wayne is just running AJ at fullback until GI returns to full training.
I think AJ will start at fullback and GI at centre.Our defence will suffer without GI in the line . Other teams backrowers and fullbacks will have a field day running at our other options. I like Burns , but defensively he's not a GI. GI at fullback will strengthen our attack but defensively it will weaken our backline. I'll be quite happy with AJ or Allen as our fullback this year . I very much doubt GI can get back to his 2013 /2014 form again so I'm happy having him in a position that he will be pressing for immortal status in.

Last edited:
Reactions: callmack1

southsport

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
I think AJ will start at fullback and GI at centre.Our defence will suffer without GI in the line . Other teams backrowers and fullbacks will have a field day running at our other options. I like Burns , but defensively he's not a GI. GI at fullback will strengthen our attack but defensively it will weaken our backline. I'll be quite happy with AJ or Allen as our fullback this year . I very much doubt GI can get back to his 2013 /2014 form again so I'm happy having him in a position that he will be pressing for immortal status in.
As training progresses over next month or so we should have some indication of which way Wayne will go regarding the team line-up.

Reactions: Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018

Is GI back to full training yet?

It’s great having Burns and Allen there too in the mix and it’ll be great when Douiehi is back.

Hiroti if needed could play a few games too, hopefully he’s getting stronger and stronger and will be a shining light in our ISP.

Sorry to point out a negative but Gagan doesn’t fill me with any confidence at all......

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Good point but maybe Wayne is just running AJ at fullback until GI returns to full training.
I have to agree Southy.

RE in week two finals or a prelim where it really counts sorry but AJ doesn’t fill me with confidence. A 60-70percent GI fitness wise however fills me with confidence...

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
As training progresses over next month or so we should have some indication of which way Wayne will go regarding the team line-up.
Be interesting if Campbell does train at centre more and Gags on wing.

Gagai and AJ on the wing with Campbell at centre and Jennings at centre would be interesting...

Campbell is still learning though so probs best he stays on his wing...

Hopefully Wayne can fix our right edge defence.... that’s where we tend to get caught out.

I think Sam will be in the back row but just putting it out there as a smokey, I know Murray’s best position is lock but he would really sure up our defence on that right edge back row...

Reactions: callmack1

callmack1

Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
I thought Gags had an okay 2018. It certainly wasn't as good as it probably should have been but it was okay. As Southy mentioned, he wasn't given many good ball opportunities in open space due to Crichton not passing and constantly dying with the ball or him passing when Gagai doesn't have much space to work with. Hopefully Wayne can fix this with Gags and whoever that right edge second rower is, whether it's Sam or Murray.

I'm really hoping to see Gags be the strike weapon we all know he can be this year.

I've also been thinking a lot about our fullback situation. Now, I haven't decided who I want there out of AJ or Allan yet but I've decided that I don't think GI should go back there. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to as in his prime he's one of the best fullbacks ever and gee, that'd hugely strengthen the side. However, at his age and the injury history he's had, I'm not sure if GI can handle a whole year at fullback. Yes, he's super fit leading into the 2019 Season but the increased workload and general wear and tear of the fullback position might just be too much for him to handle now. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying that it is potentially a big risk. Come finals time (if we make it), I'd much rather have a fresh, fit, energetic and damaging Inglis in the centres then a worn down, less effective Inglis at fullback. Just my opinion and I trust that GI and Wayne will make the best decision.

Last edited:

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
I thought Gags had an okay 2018. It certainly wasn't as good as it probably should have been but it was okay. As Southy mentioned, he wasn't given many good ball opportunities in open space due to Crichton not passing and constantly dying with the ball or him passing when Gagai doesn't have much space to work with. Hopefully Wayne can fix this with Gags and whoever that right edge second rower is, whether it's Sam or Murray.

I'm really hoping to see Gags be the strike weapon we all know he can be this year.

I've also been thinking a lot about our fullback situation. Now, I haven't decided who I want there out of AJ or Allan yet but I've decided that I don't think GI should go back there. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to as in his prime he's one of the best fullbacks ever and gee, that'd hugely strengthen the side. However, at his age and the injury history he's had, I'm not sure if GI can handle a whole year at fullback. Yes, he's super fit leading into the 2019 Season but the increased workload and general wear and tear of the fullback position might just be too much for him to handle now. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying that it is potentially a big risk. Come finals time (if we make it), I'd much rather have a fresh, fit, energetic and damaging Inglis in the centres then a worn down, less effective Inglis at fullback. Just my opinion and I trust that GI and Wayne will make the best decision.
Can we make a grand final let alone win a premiership with Allan or AJ at fullback though?

callmack1

Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Can we make a grand final let alone win a premiership with Allan or AJ at fullback though?
Well that's all unknown at the moment.

If AJ claims the fullback spot, Bennett might just unlock something in him and get the best out of him. If Allan gets the spot, he might emerge as a genuine superstar.

You just never know.

Reactions: Rabbits 21

Redfern Express

Aug 4, 2018
I have to agree Southy.

RE in week two finals or a prelim where it really counts sorry but AJ doesn’t fill me with confidence. A 60-70percent GI fitness wise however fills me with confidence...
Let's see AJ with another pre-season under his belt. He certainly wasn't 100% with his hamstring injury at the back end of last season. As much as I'd like to see it , GI's body probably won't hold out long at fullback given his age and size.