Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rugby League SOO Future Options ?

Discussion in 'State of Origin' started by S J, Jul 14, 2013.

1. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

We have had many discussions on whether SOO can be improved. The answer is basically no.

But - can it be tweaked to better suit players, fans and the game in general.

I think YES !

2. S J

My idea:

SOO to become a weekend event - 3 weekends - during season - all teams have the weekend off thus no unfair games.

All on TV.

Weekend One:

Friday Night

- NSW U/18s v Qld U/18s
    - Nth Island v Sth Island (NZ)
    - Country v City (Aust)

Timed to flow on from each other.

Saturday Night

- NSW Cup v Qld Cup
    - PNG v Combined Islander/Polynesian team.
    - Country U/20s v City U/20s

Sunday Afternoon
    - NSW v Qld - SOO
    - NSW U/20s v Qld U/20s - SOO

Weekends 2 and 3 would be the same. 8 games on the weekend. See the stars and emerging stars.

3. S J

You'd find we'd nearly have all of our players on show in some way - and it would also allow injured players to get better.

It would give all teams a fair go - instead of playing with up to 5 or 6 stars missing in an NRL game.

4. TerryG

TerryG Voider of Warranties Staff Member

OK, understood. Good idea. :)

But soon today, the Bulldogs will face the Storm without Slater, Smith and Cronk. This means there's a rare chance to beat a top four side thanks to SoO depletion.

Under the current system, Saint George Illawarra could just as easily benefit from catching a top four team without their SoO stars if that's the way the draw fell.

Under your proposal, NRL teams would never be without their SoO stars and this benefit would disappear.

The NRL then might as well have two tiers. Those teams with SoO stars who have a better shot at making the GF and a 2nd tier of everybody else.

If this conclusion is correct, a knock-on effect might be that growth in the NRL would slow as only the top teams can attract the best players while other teams struggle to sell tickets. :(

What am I missing?

5. S J

We had the problem a few years back - up to 7 or 8 of our blokes were in SOO.

It's not fair - you know it's not !

We have a Comp where the cream rises to the top - not one where we handicap teams because they have lost their stars. I'd like to see all teams with their full teams play on an open playing field.

We've all had SOO deplete us - well - except for that NZ mob ... ;)

6. TerryG

Point taken.

I think the Warriors lost Brent Tate and Steve Price....and possibly Jake Lillyman to QLD once or twice but you sure do enjoy having them for the rest of the season.

39-nil Bulldogs over Storm. If only the Saints or Warriors had of drawn that game.:p

I'm up to $4M WLF dollars. Thinking of putting it all on the Sea Eagles tomorrow.

7. S J

Agree - luck of the draw to get them at SOO time.

8. TerryG

How about: One less week of trials (start the NRL season one week sooner) + No Byes in the NRL = frees up three weeks for SoO at the end of the NRL season without clashing with end of year International League.

This way SoO and NRL selections don't interfere with each other.

The problem remains that the broadcasters, especially TV, do like the ratings of having the SoO in the middle of the NRL comp.

9. S J

No - can't be the end - it would take away from the GF. Also - would mean some players - who replace injured players in SOO might not be playing each weekend.

Has to be June/July. But agree - separate weekends.

10. nodd

nodd Active Member

The comp will never be fair until everyone plays each other twice.

Northern_Union and TerryG like this.
  11. S J

One way to achieve this is introduce 2 new teams- say WA and Brisbane 2 - and then play each other once each - ie 17 games instead of 24. Have set weekends for SOO (3). This would shorten the season a tad (4 weeks) - which would please the players - allow for the SOO to be held properly - please players - and have no byes.

But it would mean less money for the game. Clubs would also only have a maximum of 8 home games. With 18 teams though we could introduce a top 10, look at 2 conferences, and/or bring in 2 more - 20 teams.

12. TerryG

The Balmain and Wests merger is dysfunctional. They'd love to divorce. There's one extra team right there.:eek:

New Perth and Ipswich NRL franchisees could also be the go.

PNG would stake a claim but it's not a good idea if the team bus needs an armed guard.

13. TerryG

Smith wary of Origin stand alone call

By Adrian Warren
    AAP Mon 15th July, 8:30pm
    [​IMG]

Cameron Smith is wary of calls to make State of Origin a stand alone series.

Australian captain Cameron Smith says the idea of stand alone weekends for rugby league's State Of Origin series is great in theory, but not in practice.

Smith on Monday differed with his club coach Craig Bellamy who said league should take a lesson from rugby union suspending the Super Rugby tournament in Australia during the Wallabies' three-Test series against the British and Irish Lions.

He also took issue with critics lamenting the playing standard in the NRL, insisting it had never been higher.

Queensland skipper Smith was concerned a move to a stand-alone period for the Origin series would make the season too long and he feared the possibility of player burnout if extra weeks were added.

Smith, like Bellamy, was a frustrated watcher as premiers Melbourne were thrashed 39-0 by the Bulldogs in Sunday's grand final rematch, played without any of both team's Origin representatives.

He agreed it wasn't a good look for the game but believed it was more of a scheduling issue, which had been pointed out when the draw first came out.

"It's a really strange one. I'm not too sure how that can happen," said Smith.

'But where are we going to put Origin so that players can play for their clubs every week?

"Stand alone weekends are a great idea, but already this year in a World Cup season, the final of the World Cup is on November 30.

"If you have stand alone State of Origins, do you want players finishing their season in December? I think it's a bit too long.

"I know its hurting our game at club level, but as far as player welfare and player burnout concern, I can't see adding a few extra weeks onto a season as a positive."

Smith was bullish about the playing standard in the NRL.

"For me, I think the standard of football is the best it's ever been," Smith said.

"The individual players' skill level and endurance is the best I've ever seen.

"The game is getting bigger and bigger every year."

Smith downplayed concerns about attendances and TV ratings for NRL games.

"There's always a concern every year around State of Origin because you're taking 34 of the best players out of the game," Smith said.

"You are taking them out of club action for eight weeks, so their crowds are always going to be down.

"The numbers are always going to be down, on TV because who wants to watch a team run out and get beaten 39-0?

"Its not a good look for our game, but how do we fix that?

"I'm not sure. It's not my job to fix that.

"It's up to the administration to have a look at that and come up with the best way..

"Do we reduce our rounds of football?

"I've said that for a couple of years now, but we've just signed a lucrative broadcast deal that says we can't do that."

source: http://www.nrl.com/smith-wary-of-origin-stand-alone-call/tabid/10874/newsid/73472/default.aspx

14. TerryG

The concerns Smith points to maybe what determines the issue: A perceived risk of player burnout in a lengthened season.

15. Northern_Union

Northern_Union Forum fool

Bugger Ipswish and Perth. NZ is screaming out for a second team. NRL and tests draw consistant 20,000 crowds in Christchurch. Dunedin drew 16,000 for a pre season trial and Dunedin is a city with little league history for 80 years. Wellington drew 31,000 for the Bulldogs v Warriors game. Wellington and Christchurch both have long and proud history's of producing test players.

And back on topic, i agree with S J.

16. TerryG

Just to be clear, are you agreeing with Craig Bellamy in his assertion that it is desirable to have dedicated weekends for SoO?

17. Northern_Union

Northern_Union Forum fool

Yes, but as S J has pointed out there is more than enough room for other matches played at the same time. PNG v Someone, North Island v South Island and so on.

18. S J

And, ... Smith is just a whinger. I don't remember him arguing this when Saints had 7 or 8 in. Only now when it hurts his team.

19. TerryG

Then we have a fundamentally different view.

My highest ambition is to see the Warriors into their third GF and actually win it.

This path is eased when the Warriors are facing teams that are depleted of their SoO stars at SoO time.

The case you are arguing for harms the Warriors chances.

I respect your view but strongly hope the position you have taken is decided along Cam Smith's lines and is rejected for the Warriors sake.

Go Warriors!

20. TerryG

Sir! Your talking about the Aussie Captain. Who better to have a say?