Rugby League SOO - 2016 GAME TWO - QLD V NSW

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Well - Q'bilies are one up.

Can NSW come back, can they find some new players. Can they perform on the SOO stage and win.

Does it matter ? Who knows ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I'd ask for different officials. Clearly smith holds sway over the two last night.

And the penalties dried up so quickly - yet the infringements didn't. This certainly favoured Qld.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Well - Q'bilies are one up.

Can NSW come back, can they find some new players. Can they perform on the SOO stage and win.

Does it matter ? Who knows ?
The Blues team seems to be picked on club politics and not players form in club positions.
Gallen did some small runs and some good tackles, even a nice offload but it irked me that he was picking himself for the side.
Ferguson was obviously picked to try and counteract the height of Oates but he was caught in possession on 6th tackle twice and gave Morris a shocker of a pass in goal that he knocked on.
Reynolds did some great kicking against the Dragons but it was missing for the Blues
Some players are big game players while others can only shine in an already structured side.
Qld were just more committed in defence than NSW and got the result.

If the Blues are going to put up some competition at Suncorp they need to address a few issues or game 3 is a dead rubber.

Q'Billie Boy

May 2, 2013
I'm smiling because Beau Scott wasn't picked. Neither was Frizell or Cartwright.

And DYLAN WALKER HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
How I saw it! I realise 2 many penalties in the first half, but, the sad thing from the blues was when there a few drop outs from the Maroons and the structure with the Hooker, 7,6 and fullback was like a Under 20's game. The blues shouldn't got 1 try at least. Maloney was good but the structure on the Maroons try line was pitiful. Lozza, you are complaining about the Refs, though you should speak harshly 2 your spine Lozza. That's why I never backed them...Maroons 2 much class with a new Blues spine.

Have the same players Lozza, but drill them at training contrastly. Set plays on the Maroons try line. with boxing, you drill your fighter constantly so it's 2nd nature mate!

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Cordner may be gone for Game 2 - along with Dugan.

I feel Friz should get a go - maybe should have been in Game One. I also have my doubts on a few of our backs.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Wade Graham has apparently stuck his hand up and being in an in form side cant do his chances any harm.
Bazza is quite right about the Blues having bugger all structure on the Maroons goal line. The reminded me of the Dragons.....A lot of effort to get there and no idea what to do when they did

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
The reminded me of the Dragons.....A lot of effort to get there and no idea what to do when they did
Last night before I switch on Foxtel, I listened to Joeys explanation on the Maroons try line. Also, Fat Gus said something to the effect - x-factor like fifita running to the line with support (fullback) Yes Joey, but, you have to train for that Joey. I can understand - you were the best player in the SOS ever, it was natural with you Joey, though some players have to work hard for excellence - comes from hard training.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
We need some basic players - an organiser - a kicker (great if they can be the one player). Then its often the simple stuff - complete, tackle, defend, kick well and make few errors.

This sounds easy - but isn't.

We need to pick a team of players that compliment each other. Not one's who play their own game and you never really know what to expect. I felt Tamou didn't really impress but I'd keep him.

So maybe look to winning teams in the NRL - instead of cherry picking from all over the place. And pick combinations.

It is very hard to throw players together for a week or so and expect them to understand each others ways. Cronk and Smith know each other so well. Likewise Darbs and his horse mates. JT can fit in with anyone - but allows Cronk to organise to a degree. So we have the basic spine that knows each other so well.

I feel this is the difference - not that Qld have a much better side - but they co-ordinate better and understand each others game better.

nodd

Apr 4, 2013
hiding from the kids
Last night before I switch on Foxtel, I listened to Joeys explanation on the Maroons try line. Also, Fat Gus said something to the effect - x-factor like fifita running to the line with support (fullback) Yes Joey, but, you have to train for that Joey. I can understand - you were the best player in the SOS ever, it was natural with you Joey, though some players have to work hard for excellence - comes from hard training.
Bit over the top?? He wasn't even picked at halfback all the time? and was a terrible leader. Great player- but the greatest ever SoO player pffft.

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
Actually, I was writing it sarcastically with Joey --
"but the greatest ever SoO player pffft"

He was picked at hooker (3-4) and 1 time I believe reverse.

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
Now ex-ex-ex footy players want another player in the blues squad..bird...Jesus - who have the brain injuries-Matty Johns show regulars or me? I understand Tallis has that brain trauma but the rest, no!

Q'Billie Boy

May 2, 2013
Jack Bird is a very impressive player built for origin. Maybe a year young, but worth a chance.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Bird is not SOO material. He's barely NRL. He has had a good year todate - but is very young.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Bird is not SOO material. He's barely NRL. He has had a good year todate - but is very young.
Bird is shining in a very cohesive Sharks side at the moment. I don't think at this stage he is ready to be SOO material where a side is selected ad given a week to blend into a good team.
Now if Lozza was to pick the entire Sharks side it might be a different issue.
He might be SOO material in another season or so though and good luck to him although I wish he had stayed at the Dragons:bag:

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
1. Matt Moylan
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
Morris a great defender with the formable Maroons backs.
5. Josh Mansour
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
- Too predictable - Maybe Ennis
10. Paul Gallen
11. Boyd Cordner
injured for 4-6 weeks (Wade Graham)
12. Josh Jackson
Greg Bird Tyson Frizell

Interchange: 14.
Dylan Walker Bryce Cartwright 15. James Tamou, 16. David Klemmer, 17. Andrew Fifita

I wasn't going to change the squad, but Birdy tries to get involved with to much play with the halfback and 6/8. Let them contract the plays. Also, Gallen...do the hard metres with you're known for - for many years.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Put it this way - Maroons are favourites - I won't bet on the blues because I like my money. Change your methods. But the key positions are still there. Farah has to improve his game - the board at the tigers and the Taylor have no idea with his future for 18 months, so Farah needs a blinder on a game.

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
1. Matt Moylan
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Josh Mansour
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou