Rugby League SOO 2015 - Game 2 NSW v QLD (Melbourne) - 17 June

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I think all the rhetoric (sorry Q'billies ... "talk") is deliberate by NSW. They think now that Qld will start the fight and hopefully get someone off.

Just a thought.

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
BUT... its unfair on their fans giving them false hope:bag:
I understood that and can see what you're pointing out.

Hope is all powerful. It can trump logic and reason in the best of us.

Example, even though NSW have suffered eight SoO series defeats in the previous nine games, no NSW fans will admit to false hope,

PS. A the time of writing, Matt Scott has been ruled to have knocked on disallowing a GI try. 12 minutes to go. :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
26 - 18

Excellent win to NSW. I felt the Refs favoured Qld - again - and let them play their slow down tactics.

The disallowed try to NSW may have been doubtful - passes looked ok in replay - but the Qld one was certainly a no-try. Not counting the strip - it was knocked forward by one of them to GI - who ran and scored. He was in an offside position - accidentally maybe but still offside.

Gallen was excellent - certainly lead from the front. Did nothing wrong.

Grub of the game - shared between Myles and Hodges. What a grub Hodges is. Hit Hoffy high and did everything he could to niggle and cheat. Can't take to him at all.

Qld scored a few top tries and JT was awesome. Smith played his usual top game but overplayed the "nice guy" role yet again. I think the Refs are finally seeing through this.

GI looked very good. Darbs was ordinary - as were a few of the ageing stars.

Duges was very good again. Both halves did enough to ensure victory. The forwards were strong. Gall was very good - in pain - but lead from the front.

Jennings needed a big game and got one. Good to see. I hope he keeps it up in SOO 3.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Agree - Gall played well - did nothing wrong. If we throw things about we could pick on a few players - eg JT for one. All the Melbourne players.

So - what's the point.
Good win by NSW in a game that could have gone either way especially from the maroons fans who will cry long and loud "we wuzz robbed" with the Inglis try.
Nsw moved up in defence all over the park and really challenged the Qld attack before they could get started.
Despite Qld (especially Thurston) wanting to live in our backline in defence our backs were much more involved than the first game with Jennings really giving them trouble.

Gallen who only lasted 18minutes initially played his heart out in defence. He also either gave away or was involved in the giving away of 3 to 4 penalties and also tripped over his own feet in back play once leaving our defence short probably due to lack of match fitness. He should be a lot better barring injury for game 3. 4 penalties especially the ones in our own half meant NSW had to do an extra 20 to 24 unnecessary tackles and we were lucky Qld didn't convert them into tries.
For Qld Hodges was his usual niggling grubby self while Jennings was NSw back of the match for me.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Gallen really lifted NSW imo.

Our backs did play better - but only as they got some ball - for once.

That GI "try" was a joke. Notwithstanding the fact he was in front of the others who touched the ball, it was also knocked on by the Qld player. Forget the "strip" claim. This is a furphy. If it had been given the other way - imagine the headlines ?

Mr. Sharky

Very Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Adelaide
Great game by NSW spoiled by the antics of the bogan Queensland supporters in the crowd during the minutes silence for the late athletics legend and former Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke.

I hope those disrespectful clowns chanting "Queenslander" and "Three Cheers for Ron Clarke" during the minute's silence copped a heavy fine and a ban from attending matches.

We don't need these twats in our game.

Reactions: TerryGaines

Mr. Sharky

Very Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Adelaide
State of Origin overshadowed by minute’s silence disgrace

June 18, 2015 7:53AM

The State of Origin minute’s silence was a complete disgrace. Source: News Corp Australia

PREMIER Daniel Andrews has slammed fans’ disgraceful behaviour during a minute’s silence to honour the late Ron Clarke at the MCG last night.
State of Origin II got off to the most unsavoury of starts as jeers and shouts of “Queenslander” and “Gallen’s a w***er” were heard throughout the 60 seconds.

Clarke, one of Australia’s greatest distance runners and the man who lit the cauldron at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956, died Wednesday at the age of 78.

Mr Andrews said it was “appalling”.

“I think it’s important that we call this out for the disrespectful, appalling behaviour that it was,” Mr Andrews told Channel 9.

But he said it was only a small group of fans who “did the wrong thing”.

“The vast, vast majority ... understand exactly what we’ve lost with the passing of Ron Clarke,” Mr Andrews said.

The crowd stands for a minute’s silence for Australian athletics legend Ron Clarke. Picture: Getty Source: Getty Images

Sports Minister John Eren called the badly-behaved fans “buffoons”.

“It’s appalling, it only takes a couple of buffoons to ruin the night and there was such a special moment for such an honourable man, Ron Clarke,” he said.

“We were just having a moment silence and of course there was a couple of buffoons who ruin it for the rest, but nevertheless it was a great tribute to a great man.”

People at the game also took to social media to vent their disappointment.

Gold Coast City Council, where Clarke was a former mayor, confirmed Clarke’s death from kidney failure yesterday after previously battling heart disease.

Clarke set 17 world records, including 12 during a 44-day tour of Europe in 1965, nine years after he had been invited as a 19-year-old to light the Olympic flame at the Melbourne Games.

“I revelled in the feeling that running gave me,” Clarke said after he retired.

“It was a fantastic feeling, an alive feeling.”

He competed at the 1964 Tokyo and 1968 Mexico City Olympics, but his only medal was a bronze in the 10,000 metres in 1964.

At Mexico City, Clarke collapsed at the finish line and came close to dying from altitude sickness during the 10,000 metres. He finished in sixth place, but later said he could not recall anything about the final stretches of the race. He later competed in the 5,000 at the same Games.

Ron Clarke lights the Olympic torch at the Melbourne Games. Source: Getty Images

Clarke’s world records came over a variety of distances, including the 5,000 four times and the 10,000 twice. But he also set world marks twice in the 2 mile, four times in the 3 mile, twice over 6 miles, once each over 10 miles and 20 kilometres and once in a 1-hour race in 1965, where he completed 20.232 kilometres (12.5 miles).

Clarke was mayor of the Gold Coast from 2004 to 2012, where one of his last official duties was to help secure the 2018 Commonwealth Games for the beachside city. He was honoured with the Order of Australia and as a Member of the British Empire.

Despite maintaining a strong fitness regimen throughout his life, Clarke was not as mobile after an accident sustained since his retirement from public life in 2012. He was injured during his regular walk about a year ago.

He is survived by his wife, Helen, two sons and grandchildren. His daughter, Monique, died in 2009.

— with wire agencies
http://www.news.com.au/sport/state-of-origin-overshadowed-by-minutes-silence-disgrace/story-fnaqgujp-1227403232783

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
I wasn't going to mention the disrespect shown over the Ron Clarke issue as its giving attention to yobbos who don't deserve it. Basically it was the behaviour of mental giants and oxygen thieves

moto748

Enthusiastic Member
Sep 13, 2013
Can't disagree with SJ's summary. Not the most thrilling of games, but Origin usually leaves me pretty cold. Like when Sterling says, early on, plenty of ball movement there from NSW, and I'm thinking, really? I guess I just have to scale my expectations down. And when NSW did get a slick move going, the try was disallowed. To be fair, I thought it looked well forward in real time, but the replays showed it was much closer than that.

moto748

Enthusiastic Member
Sep 13, 2013
And GI: you can't be that big and be that quick. It's just not right.

Reactions: S J

Mr. Sharky

Very Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Adelaide
I wasn't going to mention the disrespect shown over the Ron Clarke issue as its giving attention to yobbos who don't deserve it. Basically it was the behaviour of mental giants and oxygen thieves
It's what I've come to expect from a fair section of Queensland's supporter base.

That and the comments from Queensland fans on social media does nothing to ease the stereotype a lot of people in NSW have that Queenslanders are uneducated bogans.

I hope those cretins have been banned from attending matches in the forseeable future and copped a heavy fine.

nodd

Very Active Member
Apr 4, 2013
hiding from the kids
Oh gee it's great to see you back Mr Sharky.

Still as paranoid and biased as usual.

what was wrong with my comment re Gallen?- self confessed drug cheat- can't argue about it?