Rugby League SOO 2015 - Game 2 NSW v QLD (Melbourne) - 17 June

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Qld will probably stick to the same side - maybe DCE to come in.

NSW should look to a few changes. Perhaps out wide and a look at a few of the forwards. They did miss Gallen and Bird up front. And Morris out wide. Duges played well - but Hayne would have been useful with Duges to centre.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Trent Merrin is in danger of being squeezed out of Laurie Daley's NSW side for Origin II as the Blues coach faces the conundrum of fitting five forwards into four, or even three, spots.
Series-winning skipper Paul Gallen is thought to be tracking well for a return from injury in time for the second Origin game in Melbourne on June 17.
He would basically be assured a starting spot at lock, forcing Josh Jackson to the interchange.
NSW hooker Robbie Farah is in doubt for game two after he injured his left shoulder on Wednesday.
That means Daley may want a utility, likely to be Luke Lewis, on his bench for the second game of the series. So Merrin could find himself in a battle for one of just three places in Daley's 17.
Jackson, Andrew Fifita, David Klemmer and Boyd Cordner should be the other contestants for a place on the bench.

--------------------------

I didn't think he had a great game - but I don't like him coming off the bench anyway. Not sure Fifita or Cordner did any better.

If we had an issue I felt it was in making a break out wide. I wasn't impressed with the outside backs. Good to have BMozz back - and Gallen of course.

Duges appeared to be the only one who made ground and looked dangerous.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
They were the heroes of Origin I last year, and Kiama's Morris brothers are hopeful of leading NSW to victory together again in 2015.
Twin siblings Brett and Josh Morris etched their names into State of Origin folklore when they famously played through serious injuries to help the Blues beat Queensland 12-8 in the series opener in 2014.
Brett dislocated his shoulder while scoring a try early in the game and battled through the pain, pulling off a spectacular try-saving tackle on opposite number Darius Boyd late in the piece.
Josh tore a ligament in his knee before picking himself up off the turf to run down Maroons star Greg Inglis and prevent what also could have been a Queensland four-pointer.
A hamstring injury cruelled Brett's chances of lining up for game one this year, as his brother Josh scored one of the great Origin tries during NSW's 11-10 loss on Wednesday night.
The latter is already looking ahead to Origin II in Melbourne next month and hopes Brett can be fit to line up alongside him.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
After orchestrating Josh Dugan's return to State of Origin last year, Paul McGregor has endorsed Mitch Rein to replace Robbie Farah if the NSW hooker fails to prove his fitness for game two in Melbourne.
Rein might be playing down chances of claiming a maiden NSW jumper, but coach McGregor did not hesitate to support his claims before a showdown with Cronulla veteran Michael Ennis on Sunday.
One of the NRL's most improved players, Rein has captured career-best form under McGregor in the Dragons' flying start to the season, earning a Country jumper in the process. It leaves him one of several contenders in the race to fill the potential vacancy at No 9 for the Blues after stand-in skipper Robbie Farah faces up to a month on the sideline with a shoulder injury suffered in the series opener.
Ennis, whom Rein will directly oppose this week, is considered the man most likely to replace Farah should he not recover in time for game two. But Rein and Parramatta's Nathan Peats - who have both taken part in Emerging Blues camps in the past - could come into contention if selectors decide to look to the future.
Blues coach Laurie Daley may also make a call to Country coach Trent Barrett for a view on how effective Rein sharing the role with Melbourne utility Ryan Hinchcliffe worked in the Origin trial.

---------------------

Mitch wouldn't let them down.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I think Lozza has picked his side for this series and barring injury should stick with it.
Gallen fit or not has been out for a while and has no game time fitness . The only change I would make to the side is is maybe replace Tupou on the wing. Qld gave him a work out in defence and he didn't seem like he was up to it.
If Farah is out Ennis or maybe even Rein should be given a run.

nodd

Apr 4, 2013
hiding from the kids
Bring back Gallen- now that he's off the drugs he will become what he was - a forward who knows nothing else but to run forward and then try to belt blokes in the head in defence.- please NSW bring the dud back.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The numbers are stacked in Mitch Rein's favour if he does find himself in a battle with Michael Ennis for the NSW No 9 jumper.
Rein averages twice as many runs, almost three times as many metres, more line breaks and more tries per game than the veteran Sharks player.
Ennis holds a very slight advantage - less than 0.5 per game - in the tackles department, and is also narrowly leading the count in try assists.
Rein, however, remains inferior in one key area - and it could be the most important. If Laurie Daley is looking for an 80-minute hooker to replace Robbie Farah for Origin II, Rein probably isn't his man.
The diminutive rake has played 80 minutes on just two occasions from 11 appearances this year.
The other nine games have been shared with journeyman Heath L'Estrange, who lobbed in Wollongong after a lacklustre season with the Roosters last year.
Ennis, on the other hand, has left the ground only once from the same number of matches.
He even put in an 82-minute performance when the Sharks' round-10 clash with Gold Coast went to golden point. As a result one player averages 57.7 minutes per game compared to the other's 79.
Rein admitted during the pre-season he was working to become an 80-minute player for the Dragons but coach Paul McGregor has insisted on splitting the duties between him and L'Estrange.
That decision could cost the 25-year-old an Origin berth.

-----------------

Not sure - I feel Ennis' better days are behind him. It would all depend on what sort of team was selected too. If, say, Lewis was picked - they might go Rein.

I have a low opinion of Ennis - on the field - so might not be the best judge.

Although - having a niggling, annoying, pest might upset the Q'billies ... :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
NSW Under 18's side is selected each year to play a Queensland Under 18's representative side as a curtain-raiser to a State of Origin fixture.
This year's game will be played before Harvey Norman State of Origin Game Two.
The NSW Under 18 side is selected from players competing in the SG Ball Cup as well as Toyota Cup and eligible Country players.
The following players have been selected to represent the NSW Under 18’s v QLD Under 18’s at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday 15th June 2011 prior to Game Two of the Harvey Norman State of Origin series.

Here is the side that has been selected to compete at ANZ Stadium:

PLAYER - CLUB

Nesiasi Mataitonga - Cronulla Sharks
Jacob Gagan - Parramatta Eels
David Nofoaluma - Western Suburbs Magpies
Vai Toutai - Parramatta Eels
Pat Mata’Utia Leifi - Newcastle Knights
Curtis Sironen - Wests Tigers
Jack Wighton - Canberra Raiders
David Klemmer - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Michael Lichaa - Cronulla Sharks
Leilani Latu - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Kyle Lovett - Balmain Tigers
Jordan Hall - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Ben Roose - Newcastle Knights
Tom Rouse - Newcastle Knights
Sam Coster - Parkes Spacemen (CRL)
Michael Steele - Newcastle Knights
Jake Trbojevic - Manly Sea Eagles
Brenden Santi - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Coach - Craig Sandercock
Manager - Bob Jones

Some top young blokes here.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I kinda think the reverse about Ennis. I've never rated him much, but I think he's been better since he's been at the Sharks.

That lot aren't all under 18, surely? Sironen? Klemmer?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I kinda think the reverse about Ennis. I've never rated him much, but I think he's been better since he's been at the Sharks.

That lot aren't all under 18, surely? Sironen? Klemmer?
Mmmm - have I posted last year's team - but the NYC guys are eligible. And some of them will be 20-ish ... ;) Will check. I was half asleep when I posted.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Try Again ...

Coach Todd Payten has announced the NSW Under-18s 29-man Representative Team for their annual interstate clash against Queensland as the curtain-raiser to Origin II on Wednesday 17 June at Melbourne Cricket Ground.

"This side is extremely strong and very experienced," said NSWRL Performance Programmes Manager Jamie Feeney.

"Ten of the players are playing Under-20s in the Holden Cup this year and are exceptionally-talented players."

Coached by Payten, the final team will be named this weekend featuring the best up-and-coming players developing through the young ranks in NSW Rugby League.

NSW Under-18s Representative 2015 Squad:

Cade Cust Manly
Jesse Ramien Manly
Billy Bainbridge Manly
Brock Lamb Newcastle
Jack Cogger Newcastle
Brodie Jones Newcastle
Jayden Butterfield Newcastle
Reimis Smith Canterbury
Siosifa Talakai Souths
Gabriel Hamlin Souths
Cam Murray Souths
John Neill Souths
Ray Stone Wests
Nic Cotric Raiders
Latrell Mitchell Roosters
Blake Lawrie Illawarra
Reuben Garrick Illawarra
Daniel Stojanovski St George
Reed Izzard Penrith
Nathan Cleary Penrith
Daniel Brown Penrith
Billy Magoulis Cronulla
Daniel Vasquez Cronulla
Curtis Scott Cronulla
Brock Ilet Cronulla
Ryan Papenhuyzen Balmain
Daniel Peck Balmain
Moses Suli Balmain
Sam Elliot Northern Rivers

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
To the people who habitually support NSW:

Were you still backing NSW in the days when Sticky was the coach? I miss those days,

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart fined record $20,000 by NRL for press conference walk-out
Updated yesterday at 9:33pm

Photo: Record fine ... Ricky Stuart's press-conference snub has earned him a $20,000 fine from the NRL. (Getty: Matt Roberts)

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart is facing the largest fine for referee criticism in the history of the NRL after he walked out of the media conference following last week's match against Brisbane.

The Raiders have been issued a $20,000 breach notice after the NRL found the club failed to meet five guidelines outlined in their media protocol after the 24-12 loss to the Broncos.

Unhappy with decisions which went against his team, Stuart answered just one question before he and skipper Jarrod Croker left.

"No it wasn't one of those games ... (NRL head of football) Toddy Greenberg, he was at the game tonight and I just really hope he saw what I saw," Stuart said.

"It's a lot healthier for our club if we don't go any further into this press conference.

"I have respect for all the media, it's got nothing to do with you, but it's just a lot healthier if I don't continue. Thanks."

The NRL found the Raiders breached guidelines including not genuinely participating in the media conference and making comments which could be interpreted as criticism of referees Gavin Badger and Chris Sutton.

The Raiders have five working days to respond and decide whether to lodge an appeal.

The club has reportedly confirmed it will not make a decision until next week.

Stuart has a history of contentious relations with referees.

He has racked up over $125,000 in fines throughout his career, and was sacked as Australian Test coach after abusing referee Ashley Klein in the lobby of a Brisbane hotel the day after the 2008 World Cup final.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Bring back Gallen- now that he's off the drugs he will become what he was - a forward who knows nothing else but to run forward and then try to belt blokes in the head in defence.- please NSW bring the dud back.
He really struggled against the roosters and is very short of match fitness. If Daley picks him he risks just handing game 2 to the maroons. You cant win the big games with just heart alone or passing the ball off the ground with a flick out the back like he did against the roosters and expect to get away with it unless you are maroon.
I agree with Gus no no no no Gould that Gallen was was out on his feet lacking game fitness and place no credence in Gallens post match comment that he was just trying to slow the game down.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
STORM and Queensland State of Origin halfback Cooper Cronk will be sidelined for the next 3-4 weeks after scans revealed a low-grade meniscus tear in his right knee.

Scans this morning revealed the extent of the injury with Cronk to undergo surgery on Tuesday morning.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I hope hopoate doesn't bring Prramatta virus into the Blues camp. Looks like laurie has 4 stand by forwards on the bench in case Gallen runs out of gas and Coach XXXX probably likes what he sees to.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
NSW:

1. Josh Dugan (St George Illawarra Dragons)

2. Brett Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
3. Josh Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
4. Michael Jennings (Sydney Roosters)
5. Will Hopoate (Parramatta Eels)
6. Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)
7. Trent Hodkinson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
8. Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9. Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
10. James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
11. Ryan Hoffman (New Zealand Warriors)
12. Beau Scott (Newcastle Knights)
13. Paul Gallen (C) (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

14. Trent Merrin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
15. Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
16. David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
17. Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)