2019 State of Origin Venues / Fixtures

Game 1:
May 2019,

Game 2: June 2019, Perth Stadium, Perth, WA, Australia,

Game 3:
July 2019.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
NSW should not pick any non anthem singers.
It was a divisive build up to the first game and they dont need it in the run up to the second.

Freddy could also have his team watch a few re runs of the Knights effort last night( no pun intended).

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
NSW should not pick any non anthem singers.
It was a divisive build up to the first game and they dont need it in the run up to the second.

Freddy could also have his team watch a few re runs of the Knights effort last night( no pun intended).
I feel this issue cost NSW the match. They sing or they don't play !

Reactions: stanleyg

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Are they breaking any laws @stanleyg ?
its is having an adverse effect on the team because the media are running with it.
It is not a criminal offence BUT it is a divisive and causing unnecessary offence.

It might not be up there with sandpaper gate BUT it does nothing to unite a country by advertising it.

If they don't like it or are not patriotic they should have just said nothing and sung nothing like a lot of sports people do.
Basically by actually coming out and moaning like they did they were trying to create a Kaepernik effect in Australian sport.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
its is having an adverse effect on the team because the media are running with it.
It is not a criminal offence BUT it is a divisive and causing unnecessary offence.
It might not be up there with sandpaper gate BUT it does nothing to unite a country by advertising it.
If they don't like it or are not patriotic they should have just said nothing and sung nothing like a lot of sports people do.
Basically by actually coming out and moaning like they did they were trying to create a Kaepernik effect in Australian sport.
Are they breaking any laws @stanleyg ?
I'm in a quandary over this. They have the right NOT to sing - but I don't like them using the game to publicise their "political" views. No different to what Izzy did - in essence - but allowed by hierarchy - although it does upset people.

In saying this though - they have the right NOT to sing. My only comment - instead of just being negative come up with a solution - an alternative.

Do they have a song we'd all agree to ? A song that everyone would proudly sing - or would it just cause more division ?

I've seen people suggest a Seekers song, Waltzing Matilda, and a few other pop ballads. None of which I want.

My suggestion - until we find the right one lets just do what we believe - but don't shove your view down others throats. Don't sing it, if that's your belief. I'm sick of all the kneeling and crap from the USA. I'd take more notice if people did something original and not just mimic others.

The current Anthem wasn't a total choice by everyone - ie less than 50% I think. BUT - it is the current Anthem and as such deserves respect imo.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
The current Anthem wasn't a total choice by everyone - ie less than 50% I think. BUT - it is the current Anthem and as such deserves respect imo.
I didn't vote for it BUT more than enough people did so that's our anthem.
We don't have to like it, We don't have to sing it but we should respect that the people voted for it.

Some of the original wording has been changed slightly to accommodate the times.

First off I dont like the song and would prefer not to sing it but I will stand for it and not make a song and dance about not singing it.
One of my reasons is I don't like the thought of police surrounding my house and calling me out with "come on out we have you GIRT".

Those that are moaning about the anthem are NOT giving actual reasons as to why they don't like it.
The best they can say is it doesn't represent US.
That in itself is divisive.
No examples are given by the anti anthemers but lets guess at their issues.

It doesn't represent or include US.
The songs words "Australias SONS" were changed to "Australians ALL"
Last time I looked ALL meant everybody regardless of colour or creed.

Maybe they don't like "we are young and free"?
Australia only became a united country of Australia in 1901.
Unless you want to count South Sudan that makes Australia young as a country.
Our indigenous people walked in about 60,000 yrs ago but it wasn't Australia then.

Free?. everybody has a freedom to vote (admittedly our indigenous brethren only got theirs in 1967) we are free to voice our opinion (unless you are Israel folau) but that freedom is getting more endangered everyday.
Those that don't have freedom in this country are those that commit crimes against their fellow Australians and deserve to have their freedom limited, Preferably in GAOL.
FREE PRESS? hmm the media always fall back on the old chestnut " the public has a right to know".
Facts are we put people in positions to make decisions we either shouldn't or don't need to know for the safety and security of the country.
If it means spying on our own people to prevent attacks by disgruntled people I am fine with that
The media needs to go back to responsible journalism instead of sensationalism that involves releasing privileged or secret information illegaly leaked or obtained.
Remember the price of Liberty is eternal vigilance and that includes vigilance of the media.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Be a good holiday - Indian Pacific over - 3 nights in Perth - a tour of Rottnest Island and Fremantle - go to the game - return by air - or train again.

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
First off I dont like the song and would prefer not to sing it but I will stand for it and not make a song and dance about not singing it.
One of my reasons is I don't like the thought of police surrounding my house and calling me out with "come on out we have you GIRT".
It is an old word that we normally wouldn't use but we all know the meaning of it. It's not a big deal to me, but I also wouldn't mind if they changed the word to surrounded.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
It is an old word that we normally wouldn't use but we all know the meaning of it. It's not a big deal to me, but I also wouldn't mind if they changed the word to surrounded.
bounded is another word option.
Girt is an anachronism but maybe our indigenous brothers might prefer it seeing it is "Old" and not "young"
They could change the whole sentence and just call it an "Island".
Speaking of islands perhaps a new anthem is best.
suggestions anyone?
Here is mine.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
A few facts. Just saw a poll that had a convincing majority WANT the anthem played. As I've argued - these blokes "work" for the clubs - who in turn get their money from the public. Is there any worked who can thumb his nose at those that really pay his wage ?

Second - if Qld win the NRL may take a hit in Sydney for Game 3. A dead rubber won't get a full house.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
bounded is another word option.
Girt is an anachronism but maybe our indigenous brothers might prefer it seeing it is "Old" and not "young"
They could change the whole sentence and just call it an "Island".
Speaking of islands perhaps a new anthem is best.
suggestions anyone?
Here is mine.

No - I already use it for my home ... :)

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Cleary and Pearce will be the halves apparently.

Just stupid Cleary playing at 6.

QLD will be laughing, I think they will win the series!

Pearce needs a running 5/8!

If Crichton stays in the side I will fume, how many chances has he had an done bugger all? I think Cody has been made the scapegoat, some of the criticism is warranted but I don’t believe it all was!

Anyhow he will carve it up back with us and boy do we need Cody