Sinfield puts boot into critics

Northern_Union

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/816 ... e-critics/

Even Kevin Sinfield was surprised to win the unofficial prize for the world's best player - the Golden Boot.

However, the Leeds Rhinos champion dismissed his Australian critics who believe NRL stars such as Melbourne's Cameron Smith and Canterbury's Dally M medallist Ben Barba were better placed to win the award, with Sinfield claiming Aussies ''rate themselves very highly''.

Sinfield, 32, will be hoping to silence the cynics when he leads English Super League champions Leeds against a star-studded Melbourne Storm in next month's World Club Challenge.

But the backlash over the England captain beating the stars of the NRL to the Golden Boot does not look like going away after Sinfield's response. ''The Australians probably think the NRL competition is far superior to Super League,'' he told BBC Sport. ''Whether they rate me or not, I am not sure, but with a lot of the Australians they rate themselves very highly.

''I am not bothered or interested in what they say. If they want to have a crack then they can fire away.''

Sinfield became the fourth Englishman to claim the Golden Boot, and the first since Andy Farrell in 2004.

''I am surprised to win it, and I feel very fortunate,'' Sinfield told the Yorkshire Evening Post. ''I don't pick the award. Like everything, people have an opinion. When do you ever have a 100 per cent winner?''

Back in pre-season training with Leeds, Sinfield will be looking to get the last laugh in the World Club Challenge at home ground, Headingley, on February 22.

Sinfield led Leeds to a 26-12 triumph over Manly in last year's contest, sparking a big year for the 10-year Rhinos skipper.

He overcame a head knock to lead the Rhinos to their sixth Super League title in nine years and was named man of the match.

He also took Leeds to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley which they lost to Warrington.

- AAP

Northern_Union

I can see both sides of this thing. Sinfield deserves this award because if nothing else he has been an outstanding player for over a decade for Leeds and GB/England. But, the ESL aint the NRL. Pure and simple and thats coming from me who absolutely loves watching the ESL. The top 6 maybe 7 teams in the ESL would compete with the NRLs best but from 7 through to 12 the standard drops right off. Sinfield is right in what he says about Aussies rating themselves though.

Fanrrior

Yeah, its hard to judge how well he really did when we hold the NRL as the benchmark. With that said, the backlash from the Auzzie media was crazy if not unexpected. Since I didn't get the chance to watch him I won't judge it. But I guess he deserved it as much as anybody.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Just catching up, guys!

Boringly, I agree with pretty much all NU says there. I'm not a Leeds fan but I have plenty of respect for Sinfield as a man and a player. And certainly the gap between top and bottom in the ESL is way too big. Ideally the number of clubs should be cut, but turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Sinfield BTW is kicking at 87% this season. Who is the top kicker in the NRL this year? I did have a bit of a Google the other day, but I couldn't see stats broken down to individual players. I gather JT hasn't been quite so good this year, but Carney has come on?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I like Maloney a lot, I know everyone says he's not the best defender, but he is a very smart footballer. Him and Pearce against Foran and Cherry-Evans is going to be some contest.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I'm sure they will. For all the excellent players on the pitch, I fear this Final may be a little short of finesse. :p