Rumour Saints - News, Rumours and Gossip ?

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
you have to wonder how many reverse metres they back peddled and how many meters they conceded each game .
there have always been stats and those stats can be used to misrepresent how well ..or how bad a team went.
The bottom line is the Dragons were pretty average given the talent they had.
when you take into account what they did not do on the field very well it makes their season even worse.
things like
not moving up in defence
not valuing field position
poor discipline given the tackle restarts and penalties
poor handling
very little offloading of the ball in the tackle
of course you could say in spite that they went very well or because of that they didnt.

I know Woods can offload a ball so I hope they show a bit of improvement in the basics in 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: Rabbits 21 and S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
It was a big season for Tyrell Sloan in 2021 but the 19-year-old has more goals and ideas in mind for an even better year in 2022.

The skillful outside back made his debut in both The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup and the NRL during 2021 for the St George Illawarra Dragons.

In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks.

In the NRL, he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

Reactions: Raboriginal

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St George Illawarra may yet keep Jack Bird despite contract negotiations falling over between the club and the centre’s agent.

Bird, 26, turned down a deal to remain at the club in the off-season and the club is unwilling to up that offer at that stage.

While the Dragons have stopped negotiations and effectively taken that contract off the table, The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis believes that same offer is still there for Bird if he comes to the club requesting it.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St George Illawarra may yet keep Jack Bird despite contract negotiations falling over between the club and the centre’s agent.

Bird, 26, turned down a deal to remain at the club in the off-season and the club is unwilling to up that offer at that stage.

While the Dragons have stopped negotiations and effectively taken that contract off the table, The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis believes that same offer is still there for Bird if he comes to the club requesting it.

I think he's still tinkering with things. They are both quite young.

Bird looks like staying.

Reactions: Southy

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
From Danny Weidler's columb today.

Woman at centre of Burgess case appears to be well known to family

The alleged victim in the George Burgess matter was apparently no stranger to the Burgess family. Leaked text messages suggest that she reached out to three of the Burgess brothers, George, Tom and Luke, in the lead-up to the alleged incident that has jeopardised the remaining years of George’s career.

St George Illawarra forward George Burgess was charged on Monday with sexually touching a woman without consent and will face court next month. The incident is alleged to have occurred in Sydney earlier this month.

According to the text messages, the woman was trying to obtain charity items for a fundraising event and sent messages to the brothers. She appears to have known them for a number of years and has previously extended an invitation to at least one of the brothers – not George – to come to her home to have a “cup of tea”. I have seen text messages of this nature, which state: “I’ll be … living on my own. You can pop over for a cuppa.”

On March 4, she sent messages to the twins, George (pictured) and Tom, asking for help with a fundraiser. “Hi guys. It’s a huge favour to ask you guys please. My sister is organising [a fundraiser],” the message reads. “We want to get some footy jerseys signed. We will purchase them unless you’re willing to donate one and auction them off. If I got your respective team jersey to you, could you please get it signed for us?”

She then sent the message to Luke Burgess because she had not received a reply.

“Hey Luke, can you do me a favour please?” she wrote. “I just messaged George and Tom, but no idea if I still have their current phone numbers. My sister is organising [a fundraiser] and we want to get a couple of jerseys signed to auction off. So I’ve asked the boys if they could help. Would you please let them know I’m trying to get in touch with them. Either if they can message me here or on my number. I appreciate your help.”

The incident is alleged to have happened when George was delivering the jumper to her place on March 8. He was charged on March 21.

The NRL has the police report and the integrity unit wants to speak to George as the governing body assesses whether it needs to intervene and possibly stand George down. The NRL will not consider the moral issues, and will only focus on the .... charge when making its decision.

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Paper talk again.
we stuck with Griffin so no point in ripping up his contract but the club should RIP up that play book they keep resorting to .

Griffin should be told to fix their back peddling and sedentary defence along with actually implementing offloads in the tackle as well as use MORE plays into our backline instead those forward bash n barge die with the ball runs which are killing us.

If he cant do that which is obviously what he said he could do along with those "little tweaks" Gus said was all that was needed he should do the honourable thing.....save the club money and resign.

sport.JPG