Opinion Rugby Union - General News and Comment

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The rugby league, AFL, cricket and football departments at Fox Sports are bracing for staff cuts after the broadcaster took an axe to its once-sprawling rugby department on the eve of the new Super Rugby season.

Rugby officials were briefed by Fox executives on Thursday that their sport was the first cab off the rank for staff and programming cuts, as the pay television provider embarks on a cost-slashing campaign on the back of $417 million in financial losses at its parent company Foxtel.

The sport was rocked by news that popular rugby host Nick McArdle had been let go the day before the launch of the new season and that the Monday and Friday night shows had been scrapped in favour of a drastically leaner schedule.

Former Wallaby Drew Mitchell has also been let go, while pundits Greg Martin and Stephen Hoiles will be used on a "pay-per-play" basis as needed throughout the season.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
I am surprised that the season is starting so early. Bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

Has that always been the case, I have not really noticed? Perhaps it is because of this awful heat and humidity it seems to be somewhat more noticeable this time around.

Anyway, it is shame what they are doing on FOX. I hope that FOX League is not impacted too much. The Super Rugby coverage is one thing. The league coverage is quite another!

ALX22

May 2, 2013
The Wallabies are set to return to Perth in 2020 and 2021 to face the Springboks and All Blacks at Optus Stadium.

Australia played its first match at Optus Stadium this year in the first Bledisloe match played in Perth and took a big win over their trans-Tasman rivals.

Before they face the Kiwis again, though, they will meet the Springboks in WA for the first time since 2017.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Fox talking of walking away from Union. Optus might fill the void - or Disney - in years to come.

How the mighty have fallen. Their CEO is certainly a code killer.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
The Wallabies will travel to Pretoria for the first time in four years to take on the Springboks in 2020.

South Africa announced its 2020 home test schedule overnight, adding another piece to the puzzle for the Wallabies.

Reactions: S J

ALX22

May 2, 2013
The 2021 Rugby World Cup will kick off in September in New Zealand, the Kiwi governing body announced on Tuesday.

New Zealand Rugby unveiled the dates for the 2021 tournament, for which they won the rights in 2018, and the competition will begin later than previous iterations.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Castle didn't do a good job at the Dodgies then she moved to the ARU and has turned that into a shambles.
She handled the Folau issue BADLY trying to pander to her sponsor mate over at Qantas.
It has now had Fox not renew its televise contract and other sponsors are leaving.
On the field it is the same poor results.

Good luck to the Australian game because they will need it.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I feel RU has shot itself in he foot - a few times. I agree with StG about their CEO. She hardly inspires confidence.

They have made poor judgements - eg the loss of a team - but too many in the first place; and virtually killed the local comps - ie who won the last GF in Sydney ? Remember Randwick, Easts, Uni and others ?

We joined an overseas comp and let our internal one die. Plus - I guess - we don't win.

One of their top players made a personal comment and they went haywire. A noisy minority attacked them - people who probably don't watch, play or even go, to games. And they tried to appease their major sponsor - who had a direct conflict of interest. Whether you agree with the comment or not - is irrelevant - if it had been ignored and/or treated better it would not have caused the problems it has - or the court case/payout etc.

They listen to the twitter brigade - a small minority who for some reason get attention.

The Fox TV thing is the final nail. They can see blood in the water and want it for a much cheaper price. RU might be best taking it and trying to rebuild. It gives them good coverage and helps the code.

I'd say their CEO will not accept the offer and go to Optus. Thus killing the code even more.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
International rugby will return to Townsville for the first time since the 2003 Rugby World Cup when the Australian men and women play a double-header at the new Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville.

Townsville will play host to its first Wallabies Test when Australia take on Fiji on July 18, with the Wallaroos to play world no.3 Canada at the 25,000 seat stadium.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I don't mind the womens 7"s but the Australian super thugby teams and the wobblies leave a lot of be desired.
You virtually have to be a rusted on since birth follower to stomach their play.
Hiring Deans didn't help, Hiring Castle even less help.
If they don't drastically change their play and attitude to handling freedom of speech it will be back to a park sport sadly.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
They have shown promising results in the juniors, and seem to have kept a few from leaving with that 'fund'.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
New Wallabies assistant Scott Wisemantel says he will be looking to develop a balanced attacking approach in the new Australian era and has urged fans to be buoyed by the country's emerging talent.

Wisemantel was the first addition to the Wallabies’ assistant coaching panel after coach Dave Rennie was appointed in November.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
Paul McLean has been appointed Rugby Australia chairman, taking over from Cameron Clyne.

Current chairman Clyne flagged his looming resignation at the end of 2019 but he was initially intending to stay on as chair until after the AGM at the end of March.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
UPDATE: The Brumbies and Reds are embracing the idea of Super Rugby double headers after the relocation of upcoming matches due to coronavirus.

Next weekend's Brumbies-Sunwolves match will become part of an historic Super Rugby double header, relocated to Wollongong to be played ahead of Friday night's Waratahs-Chiefs match.

The following week's Sunwolves-Crusaders match has been moved to Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and will be played before the Reds-Bulls round seven clash.

ALX22

May 2, 2013