Opinion Rugby Union - General News and Comment

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I feel RU has shot itself in he foot - a few times. I agree with StG about their CEO. She hardly inspires confidence.

They have made poor judgements - eg the loss of a team - but too many in the first place; and virtually killed the local comps - ie who won the last GF in Sydney ? Remember Randwick, Easts, Uni and others ?

We joined an overseas comp and let our internal one die. Plus - I guess - we don't win.

One of their top players made a personal comment and they went haywire. A noisy minority attacked them - people who probably don't watch, play or even go, to games. And they tried to appease their major sponsor - who had a direct conflict of interest. Whether you agree with the comment or not - is irrelevant - if it had been ignored and/or treated better it would not have caused the problems it has - or the court case/payout etc.

They listen to the twitter brigade - a small minority who for some reason get attention.

The Fox TV thing is the final nail. They can see blood in the water and want it for a much cheaper price. RU might be best taking it and trying to rebuild. It gives them good coverage and helps the code.

I'd say their CEO will not accept the offer and go to Optus. Thus killing the code even more.

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
I don't mind the womens 7"s but the Australian super thugby teams and the wobblies leave a lot of be desired.
You virtually have to be a rusted on since birth follower to stomach their play.
Hiring Deans didn't help, Hiring Castle even less help.
If they don't drastically change their play and attitude to handling freedom of speech it will be back to a park sport sadly.

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Yes - where did her reputation come from. I've only seen her in two jobs and both were disasters.
I think she ticked some of the boxes, she ticked the box for being a woman and she ticked the box for being gay, but they forgot about whether she ticked the box for being competent? shrug.gif

Reactions: S J

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Last edited:

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
Mate it 7 points...then 1 point for a goal. dropball. Union - it's like :) wogball most :) games.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Are they mad - going broke and they offer $1m pa to a kid.

Teenage sensation Joseph Suaalii is set to commit to the 15-man code after Rugby Australia got under the guard of South Sydney with a stunning $3 million offer.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Done Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Yes, I think they are S J!

They are nearly broke, aren't they? Maybe they see it as a marketing ploy and an investment in their recovery, but boy it is a big gamble. Even bigger than Trent Barrett's challenge at the Bulldogs over the next three seasons!

Roger Rabbit

Involved Member
Feb 6, 2018
The Wallabies just got a draw against the All Blacks in Wellington (Bledisloe 1). The Wallabies should have won though. They had the ball near the try line right at the end, but didn't go for the drop goal. So frustrating!

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Wobblies jagged a win against the Frogs from a penalty the previous game but this week they lost by a penalty against them.

To be fair last night they actually showed some fine running rugby BUT.......as usual shot themselves in the foot when it counted

The froggies could and did kick goals from anywhere while the Wobblies conceded penalties, conceded line outs and scrums.

worst of all they forgot that the opposition cannot score points......if they do NOT have the ball.
They did some stupid uncalled for (nuance?) kicks that gave the French the impetus to win with their worst kick being in the French quarter when they had the ascendancy. The frogs caught it and run right down the other end of the field with penalty goal not long after that.

As an aside Quade COOPER who has played over 70 tests for Australia, played for the Reds as well has apparently had his Aussie citizenship knocked back again.
The reason ?
he hasnt done enough or anything of value to benefit Australia?????WTF?.

He is a KIWI yet played for Australia and I think the questions should be asked why are NON Australians representing Australia???.

The ARU should explain that given Quade was NOT allowed to represent Australia at the Olympics in the Rugby 7's because of lack of citizenship.
after all you apparently cannot sit in Federal Parliament and represent Australias if you are even eligible for foreign citizenship

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Good to see the more things change the more some things remain the same.
All Blacks......play running rugby.

Wobblies.....play we are the forwards and we will show you how to bash and barge.
Our backs by the way they constantly kick the ball back to the opposition do not subscribe to the belief that in order to score points you NEED to have the ball in your hands not your opponents.
Basically another as expected flogging 50 plus points to 22.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Good to see the more things change the more some things remain the same.
All Blacks......play running rugby.

Wobblies.....play we are the forwards and we will show you how to bash and barge.
Our backs by the way they constantly kick the ball back to the opposition do not subscribe to the belief that in order to score points you NEED to have the ball in your hands not your opponents.
Basically another as expected flogging 50 plus points to 22.

Yes - I enjoyed playing the game but its awful to watch today.

Reactions: stanleyg

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Yes - I enjoyed playing the game but its awful to watch today.
It’s all those “ nuances” they used to talk about in the ad with Dell that are bogging the Wobblies down.
they do not play open running rugby but get bogged down in nuances to much.