Opinion Rugby Union - General News and Comment

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I feel RU has shot itself in he foot - a few times. I agree with StG about their CEO. She hardly inspires confidence.

They have made poor judgements - eg the loss of a team - but too many in the first place; and virtually killed the local comps - ie who won the last GF in Sydney ? Remember Randwick, Easts, Uni and others ?

We joined an overseas comp and let our internal one die. Plus - I guess - we don't win.

One of their top players made a personal comment and they went haywire. A noisy minority attacked them - people who probably don't watch, play or even go, to games. And they tried to appease their major sponsor - who had a direct conflict of interest. Whether you agree with the comment or not - is irrelevant - if it had been ignored and/or treated better it would not have caused the problems it has - or the court case/payout etc.

They listen to the twitter brigade - a small minority who for some reason get attention.

The Fox TV thing is the final nail. They can see blood in the water and want it for a much cheaper price. RU might be best taking it and trying to rebuild. It gives them good coverage and helps the code.

I'd say their CEO will not accept the offer and go to Optus. Thus killing the code even more.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I don't mind the womens 7"s but the Australian super thugby teams and the wobblies leave a lot of be desired.
You virtually have to be a rusted on since birth follower to stomach their play.
Hiring Deans didn't help, Hiring Castle even less help.
If they don't drastically change their play and attitude to handling freedom of speech it will be back to a park sport sadly.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Yes - where did her reputation come from. I've only seen her in two jobs and both were disasters.
I think she ticked some of the boxes, she ticked the box for being a woman and she ticked the box for being gay, but they forgot about whether she ticked the box for being competent? shrug.gif

Reactions: S J

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Last edited:
Reactions: S J

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
Mate it 7 points...then 1 point for a goal. dropball. Union - it's like f'n wogball most f'n games.