Rugby League Rugby League World Club Challenge

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Updated 19 Man World Club Challenge Squad
Sat 16 Feb 2019, 11:43 AM

Head Coach Trent Robinson has updated his squad ahead of the World Club Challenge clash against the Wigan Warriors.

New recruits Angus Crichton and Ryan Hall have both been ruled out as they continue their rehabilitation.

Poasa Faamausili and Asu Kepaoa have also been omitted from the line-up.

The finalised squad and line-up will be named one hour prior to kick off.

UPDATED SQUAD

Mitchell Aubusson
Nat Butcher
Lindsay Collins
Boyd Cordner (c)
Cooper Cronk
Jake Friend (c)
Matt Ikuvalu
Luke Keary
Lachlan Lam
Isaac Liu
Joseph Manu
Brett Morris
Victor Radley
Siosiua Taukeiaho
James Tedesco
Zane Tetevano
Daniel Tupou
Sitili Tupouniua
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
14 - 4 to Roosters at half time. Roosters a bit sloppy but still too good for Wigan so far.
Brett Morris has scored 3 tries.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Sydney Roosters won 20 - 8. They have won the World Club Championship 4 times now, which is equal most with Wigan.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah it is the same backline as last year, except it is Morris instead of Fergerson.
Yes and its a very good backline with a season of experience to it.
Morris is the more polished player and try finisher. Fergo was hot and cold.
The rorters have also apparently signed Drew Huthcinson who accept for injury I thought had a great future at the dragons.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
All Morris's tries were soft, the first two embarrassingly so. You can't give the Roosters a ten point start and expect to win, although we did improve and scored a couple of nice finishes. BM knows he won't be scoring tries like that when the NRL season starts.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League champions St Helens will host Australia's NRL winners Sydney Roosters in the 2020 World Club Challenge on 22 February. The Roosters will return to England for the second successive season.

Incoming St Helens coach Kristian Woolf said: "It will be a great challenge for us to test ourselves against the current World Club champions."

Saints most recently appeared in the World Club Challenge in 2015.

Only twice since 2000, when the World Club Challenge became a regular date in the rugby league calendar, has the match been staged outside the UK.

Archie

Well Known Member
Jul 30, 2017
Super League champions St Helens will host Australia's NRL winners Sydney Roosters in the 2020 World Club Challenge on 22 February. The Roosters will return to England for the second successive season.

Incoming St Helens coach Kristian Woolf said: "It will be a great challenge for us to test ourselves against the current World Club champions."

Saints most recently appeared in the World Club Challenge in 2015.

Only twice since 2000, when the World Club Challenge became a regular date in the rugby league calendar, has the match been staged outside the UK.
Could be close.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I'd be surprised. But I hope it is a decent contest. It'll be interesting to see how Woolf goes next season. I think it's fair to say it's a good bet it'll be a more successful one for his team than Holbrook's!

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Known Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
I am looking forward to this game. Our record against the Saints is excellent (2 from 2). I think our Nines team will be weak (only a week apart, and we cannot expect to be full strength across both competitions). Moto, I expect that you will be supporting us against your arch enemy! You will be interested to know that Wigan is my favoured side in the ESL. Obviously, I was supporting the mighty Roosters this year (that would never change), but I would have rather of played against a Leeds or Warrington than yourselves. I went to the Wigan v Hull ESL match in February last year in Wollongong and really enjoyed it.

I agree that the game should alternate between the UK and Australia each year. In all due fairness, after all.

Reactions: S J

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Known Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
No - I like it in the UK - helps the game.
I am not sure that I agree with you on that one SJ. I think the WCC concept started in 1976 (when we beat St Helens) and I thought it has always been on the premise that it should be played in the UK to 'help' the game over there by narrowing the gap between the NSWRL/ARL/NRL and the English Premiership/SL. It has now been 43 years, and I am not sure that the game is in a relatively better position now than it was then. In fact, it might have gone backwards in relative terms, as it has become more marginalised (relative to football and stronger rugby competitions). I understand that it may be a more successful product over there (the fans seem to respond to it much more than they do in Australia), but I am not sure that is sufficient justification to limit it to two or three games in Australia since 2000. I am saying that perhaps it should be evened up a bit (at least to start with). While the Australian teams have a better record, I am not sure that they should have to be continuously playing to a disadvantage (remembering, too, that the SL clubs have already started their season and will be more 'battle hardened' than the Australian clubs). Anyway, I don't claim to have the answer, but do think it should be looked at again.