Rugby League Rugby League World Club Challenge

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Very good win by Wigan against a sharks side who had 3 of their best attacking players out including Barba and Holmes.
Most of all the sharks seemed to lack the on field guidance of Ennis.
Flanagan and Co may well blame the refereeing but it was Wigan who merited the win and perhaps the "peptide" effect is wearing off:bag:

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Very good win by Wigan against a sharks side who had 3 of their best attacking players out including Barba and Holmes.
Most of all the sharks seemed to lack the on field guidance of Ennis.
Flanagan and Co may well blame the refereeing but it was Wigan who merited the win and perhaps the "peptide" effect is wearing off:bag:
It is a hard ask for our teams to go over - before the season starts - after an off-season, then to beat a team that is in their comp. The travel, jet lag etc etc.

BUT - in saying that, we usually win.

So - good luck to both of the English teams. WELL DONE !

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Without Ennis the sharks are going to have to work hard not to relapse into their usual error ridden game.
Against Wigan they copped a lot of penalties and also increased their ball handling error rate.

I would however think they might have a case about being hard done by with the Ref penalising them for "tackling in the air" when all Lewis did was stand his ground while the Wigan player grazed his chest on the way down but the game was played in the Uk and their rules.
The sharks "no try" is also debatable. Given the shape of the ball the tip would have to touch the turf before the side hit the white line.
If the sharks still want to talk about going back to back with Premierships they need to work on their discipline

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Without Ennis the sharks are going to have to work hard not to relapse into their usual error ridden game.
Against Wigan they copped a lot of penalties and also increased their ball handling error rate.

I would however think they might have a case about being hard done by with the Ref penalising them for "tackling in the air" when all Lewis did was stand his ground while the Wigan player grazed his chest on the way down but the game was played in the Uk and their rules.
The sharks "no try" is also debatable. Given the shape of the ball the tip would have to touch the turf before the side hit the white line.
If the sharks still want to talk about going back to back with Premierships they need to work on their discipline
Moto is probably still out on the grog ... :)

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Just got home. I don't think the Sharks can have too much to complain about with the reffing; even if their disallowed 'tries' had both been allowed, they'd still have lost. And, more importantly, they could have been pinged for a lot more that the ref missed; the late shot on centre Gildart after he passed to Burgess for his second try was worthy of a yellow minimum, arguably should have been a red. Add in the hair-pulling and other cheap shots...

Also, you'd think we were half-way through the SL season to hear some people talk! Some of our players had only played 40 mins of competitive footy this season, some not even that. At the end fo the day, wedefended brilliantly, kept our discipline pretty well, and took our chances in attack,and I couldn't be prouder of my tea,

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I wrote that yesterday, but it didn't post for some reason.
I agree with most of it. A poor ten - but for both teams.

Cronulla players seemed more intent on niggling than winning at times.

Ref seemed balanced on the whole.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I'm glad you agree, SJ! I've been reading one of the Sharks forums. You can hear the whingeing from here! :D Just to be clear on the Luke Lewis 'tackle in the air' thing: it wasn't just that. I agree Lewis didn't do much wrong, but the Sharks also had an offside player (#2) inside the 10 metres. A technicality, yes, but them's the rules. It was no refereeing error.

English fans used to slate Robert Hicks as hopeless, but I think many accept that he has improved. I didn't have a problem with his refereeing, but to say he favoured Wigan is daft. The Sharks put in a lot of cheap shots that went unpunished. One I noticed on replay was just before that second session of handbags in the second half in front of the goal=posts, notice a Sharks player quite deliberately treading on the hand of a Wigan defender. Little things like that... And as I mentioned earlier, the assault on Ollie Gildart was a nasty one.

What also makes it sweeter is that I believe it's 27 of our first team squad of 35 came through the Wigan academy, with the majority of them being Wigan lads born and bred. I doubt there's another side, either in SL or the NRL, who could come close to matching that. But then, when your salary cap is only a third of the NRL's, you can't just buy success with a fat cheque-book.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Oh, one other thing: The Sharks may have missed Michael Ennis's 'on-field guidance', but they hardly went short of it from other sources: it was 15 v 13 most of the time with Steve Price + A N Other just about permanently in the Sharks defensive line offering tips. And even appealing to the ref for penalties, FFS! This is right out of order and should be clamped down on. Wasn't it Alfie Langer (another prize cheat) who started this off? Either way, it's got way out of hand. It used to be considered OK for a water-carrier to carry a one-off message onto the field from the coaching staff, but it's gone way past that point now. It's hard to see the need, anyway. Aren't James Maloney and Anthony Milford good enough without having to be told what plays to make?

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Oh, one other thing: The Sharks may have missed Michael Ennis's 'on-field guidance', but they hardly went short of it from other sources: it was 15 v 13 most of the time with Steve Price + A N Other just about permanently in the Sharks defensive line offering tips. And even appealing to the ref for penalties, FFS! This is right out of order and should be clamped down on. Wasn't it Alfie Langer (another prize cheat) who started this off? Either way, it's got way out of hand. It used to be considered OK for a water-carrier to carry a one-off message onto the field from the coaching staff, but it's gone way past that point now. It's hard to see the need, anyway. Aren't James Maloney and Anthony Milford good enough without having to be told what plays to make?
The sharks have had a history of fielding some talented players and teams however for one reason or another they always seemed to shoot themselves in the foot when it counted hence no GF silverware for nigh on 49yrs.
2016 and they again had a very good team but the difference was Ennis who somehow sparked the best from them with his niggling play and on field direction.
Without Ennis they virtually went back to their usually play.
Sharks fans can moan about not having Barba , Homes and Co on the field but you play who you brung.
Wigan won well and the Sharks looked lost without Ennis.
Flanagan might have an issue over the refereeing but he could have planned for the very short in goals in the UK as those close to the try line kicks were one of their successes in 2016.
As for the Lewis "air tackle" you have to judge it on what the Ref said. He said the penalty was for the "air" tackle not for a player inside the "ten". There was a penalty given for a player inside the "ten" in another play and that was a correct penalty.
The break down of discipline and frustration at perceived ref issues were their own fault.
As for Price doing "on field" coaching that's the way the game is over here now and Alfie Langer has put in the most on field minutes of any Broncos player lately.
They should be banned from the field except for stoppages in play.
Have another warm beer Moto you and Wigan deserve it especially fielding a team of more locals than imports has to be good for SL.:happy:

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I'm surprised the NRL haven't clamped down on the on-field coaching. It's not something we see too much of in SL. fortunately. On Sunday it got ridiculous in my view.

Can Sharks fans legitimately complain about Barba being missing? He's not even a Sharks player any more, is he? Of course we had Sam Tomkins out and McIlorum out, so we could say our first-choice 1 and 9 were unavailable. Fact is, league is a sport with plenty of injuries, and to be fair both teams put out a decent sides. Considering he can't speak English, I think our full-back did very well!

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I'm surprised the NRL haven't clamped down on the on-field coaching. It's not something we see too much of in SL. fortunately. On Sunday it got ridiculous in my view.

Can Sharks fans legitimately complain about Barba being missing? He's not even a Sharks player any more, is he? Of course we had Sam Tomkins out and McIlorum out, so we could say our first-choice 1 and 9 were unavailable. Fact is, league is a sport with plenty of injuries, and to be fair both teams put out a decent sides. Considering he can't speak English, I think our full-back did very well!
Of course Sharks fans can complain. The "we wuz robbed" syndrome is rife in sport.
The only drawback with the WCC that I can see is teams that turn up for the game often bare little resemblance to the side that wins the GF to qualify due to retirements /transfers and of course suspensions which does take the gloss off it.
If Barba had not shat in his own nest he would have been there given the Sharks shonky we sacked him and sent him off the rehab scheme that backfired on them.
Injuries are an occupational hazard and the Dragons have 4 out before the season has even kicked off.
I never liked the on field coaching from day 1 and said so but the powers that be think its great to have a "waterboy" out there and its plain wrong.
If you listen to some of our NRL players give post match interviews a lot of them don't seem to be able to speak English either:bag:

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I hate these "runners". You really see them when you attend a game - more so than on TV. Some - eg Langer at Broncos - is NEVER off the field.

They actually confuse the other team at times. I've seen players stop for an instant - thinking the "runner" is actually a player. Refs are constantly telling them to get off.

We now have water runners, coaching runners, medical runners and a few more. It is a real blot on the game imo.

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller

The Storm will host Leeds in the 2018 World Club Challenge at AAMI Park. Copyright: NRL Photos.

NRL Premiers Melbourne Storm will host English Super League Premiers Leeds Rhinos in the 2018 World Club Challenge to determine the world's best rugby league team.

The clash, to be held on Friday 16 February at AAMI Park at 8pm, will be only the third time the World Club Challenge has been played in Australia; with Brisbane and Sydney the other cities to have hosted the showcase event.

Melbourne Storm and Leeds Rhinos have already met in three World Club Challenge deciders; 2008, 2010 and 2013, with Storm victorious in 2010 and 2013 when the match was played at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

This will mark the first time Leeds have played for the World Club Challenge outside the UK, looking to claim their fourth world title with their last coming in 2014 against Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. This will be Storm's fifth appearance on the world stage, having claimed victories in 2000, 2010 and 2013.

S J

Mod Squad
Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Sydney Roosters have announced their 23 man squad for the World Club Challenge against the Wigan Warriors.

Mitchell Aubusson
Nat Butcher
Lindsay Collins
Boyd Cordner (c)
Angus Crichton
Cooper Cronk
Poasa Faamausili
Jake Friend (c)
Ryan Hall
Matt Ikuvalu
Luke Keary
Asu Kepaoa
Lachlan Lam
Isaac Liu
Joseph Manu
Brett Morris
Victor Radley
Siosiua Taukeiaho
James Tedesco
Zane Tetevano
Daniel Tupou
Sitili Tupouniua
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Reactions: ALX22

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Weather forecast tomorrow is fine and mild. Conditions should be excellent, it has been a lovely sunny day here today, I even got my bike out this afternoon!