Rugby League Rugby League World Club Challenge

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Broncos have officially been confirmed for the World Club Challenge in February, with Bennett's men set to take on the Warrington Wolves.

The fixture looks to be set as:

Warrington Wolves v Brisbane Broncos: 18 Feb, 8pm (BST). *** My Birthday ***

Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks: 19 Feb, 3pm (BST).

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Melbourne of course can't find time ...
I am sure if they had won the GF they would have found the time. It could just be a case of resting their rep players before the season proper and not being prepared to send a substandard team

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Brisbane have stepped in to save the NRL's blushes, agreeing to face Warrington in next year's World Club Series in the UK.

The game was facing an unwanted embarrassment when losing grand finalists Melbourne declined to take part in the tournament which pits the best Australian sides against their counterparts from the English Super League.

Citing fatigue and the strain placed on players, the Storm passed up the opportunity to travel to England alongside NRL champions Cronulla, who will meet English premiers Wigan.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Rugby Football League (RLF), in partnership with the Super League, the National Rugby League (NRL) and the Cronulla Sharks, have announced the details of the 2017 Dacia World Club Series.

2016 NRL Premiers the Cronulla Sharks will take on Super League Champions the Wigan Warriors, while League Leaders Shield winners Warrington Wolves will host six-time NRL Premiership winners the Brisbane Broncos in the two game series next February.

The weekend's action will kick off on Saturday, February 18, as the Wolves host Brisbane Broncos at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington.

The Dacia World Club Challenge will then follow on Sunday, February 19, as Wigan Warriors host Cronulla Sharks at the DW Stadium.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
2017 WORLD CLUB SERIES:

Saturday, February 18, 8:00pm (GMT): Warrington Wolves v Brisbane Broncos (Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington)

Sunday, February 19, 3:00pm (GMT): Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks (DW Stadium, Wigan)

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I imagine Warrington have got mostly Wayne Bennett to thank for that. Although the talk was that Wigan had already agreed to play the Broncos (even) if they had lost the GF.

But as we'll see the Sharks and Maloney at Wigan (near my birthday too, SJ), I'm happy about that. :)

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I imagine Warrington have got mostly Wayne Bennett to thank for that. Although the talk was that Wigan had already agreed to play the Broncos (even) if they had lost the GF.

But as we'll see the Sharks and Maloney at Wigan (near my birthday too, SJ), I'm happy about that. :)
Benny's a good man ... :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller

Warrington lost to St George Illawarra in their last appearance in the competition in 2015

2017:

Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium Date: Saturday, 18 February Kick-off: 20:00 GMT

Coverage: Commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra and BBC local radio; live text and radio commentary on the BBC Sport website and app

Warrington head coach Tony Smith is hopeful they can show Super League's quality when they face Brisbane Broncos in the World Club Series.

Since the introduction of the new format, NRL teams have won all six fixtures between the two competitions.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Warrington Wolves v Brisbane Broncos

Date: Saturday, 18 February Kick-off: 20:00 GMT

Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, BBC Radio Merseyside, BBC Radio Manchester and online; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

Wigan Warriors v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Date: Sunday, 19 February Kick-off: 15:00 GMT

Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, BBC Radio Manchester and online; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

Both games shown on Fox.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Are they shown live? So that's 2am KO on Sunday night, Sydney time? I can't imagine that'd attract a big audience.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Are they shown live? So that's 2am KO on Sunday night, Sydney time? I can't imagine that'd attract a big audience.
luckily its only the sharks so if I miss the alarm I will watch the replay:bag:. Seeing the big money is in tv broadcasts perhaps they need to move the game to a country that will allow reasonable viewing times in both the Uk and Oz

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
If there was massive interest in the WCC in Oz, you might have a point. As it is, there's no reason to move it. I do think, though, as I've always said, that it should alternate in England and Oz.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
If there was massive interest in the WCC in Oz, you might have a point. As it is, there's no reason to move it. I do think, though, as I've always said, that it should alternate in England and Oz.
what about moving it to Hawaii for example.:rolleyes:
Bung in a few computer generated full grandstands. The Poms might like some warm weather and the Aussies may prefer it a little warmer than the Uk and less hot than Oz.:bag:
Its actually good that a couple of teams from each country play now rather than just the one game between the grand final winners.
Personally I would like to see some Super league sides pop down under for a game or two like the soccer (sorry football) teams have been doing the last couple of years with Man U and Liverpool.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I agree with the sentiment, stanley, but in the frankly poor state that SL is in at the moment, concentrating on your core support seems the biggest priority. In passing, it did strike me that a rather earlier KO on a Sunday, say 2 hours earlier, would have surely been doable and might have made quite a difference on Oz. Actually, I was watching one of the old World Series expanded games from the 90s earlier, Wigan v Canterbury, a cracking contest.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Dacia World Club Series

Warrington Wolves (24) 27
Tries:
Brown, Atkins, Russell, Lineham Goals: Patton 5 Drop-goal: Patton

Brisbane Broncos (6) 18
Tries:
Oates, Roberts, Mead Goals: Kahu 3

Warrington Wolves achieved the first win for an English club over Australian opponents since 2012 as they beat Brisbane Broncos in the first match of the 2017 World Club Series.

Never really looked in doubt.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Nice to see Warrington give the Broncos a touch up and it has to be good for SL.
The Dragons board must be a bit nervous of their $6million investment. It appears Hunt is planning on continuing Benchy's legacy of poor passes.