News Rugby League - Nines - News and views

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
Rabbitohs
Coach Jason Demetriou has named Damien Cook as captain of a squad which features 10 internationals, including Kangaroos Cameron Murray and Dane Gagai, Tonga's Junior Tatola and Samoa's Jaydn Su’A.

Squad: Damien Cook (c), Dane Gagai, Cameron Murray, Jaydn Su'A,
Junior Tatola, Ethan Lowe, Campbell Graham, Braidon Burns, Bryson Goodwin, Troy Dargan, Joshua Cook, Lachlan Ilias, Keaon Koloamatangi, Blake Taaffe, Jaxson Paulo, Edene Gebbie, Jack Johns, Patrick Mago.

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
Dragons were strong 27-5 over Sharks

Other results were

Panthers 35 Rorters 0
Knights 34 Warriors 0

Then the upset:

Dogs 13 Parra 10

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Some interesting results.
The bookies had their favourites but basically every team was an "unknown" for the first game.

Gidley was great for the Knights and Nighty pulled off a fine last tackle to keep the sharks from scoring ….althought they tried on a double movement just in hope.
Parra got ambushed by a hard working Dodgies

Last edited:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Dragons fell short in the Nines grand final to the North Queensland Cowboys 23-14.

The St George Illawarra Dragons Girls caused a major boilover with a shock 28-4 thrashing of the previously unbeaten Brisbane Broncos in the women’s Nines final.

Brisbane were widely tipped to be too strong in the decider but the Dragons had other ideas, claiming the title with a decisive five tries-to-one romp.

1581802503854.png

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Team of the Nines:

MEN

1. Scott Drinkwater (Cowboys)
2. Clint Gutherson (Eels)
3. Mason Lino (Knights)
4. Tyrone Peachey (Titans)
5. Jason Taumololo (Cowboys)
6. Phillip Sami (Titans)
7. Luke Metcalf (Sea Eagles)
8. Cody Ramsey (Dragons)
9. Viliame Kikau (Panthers)

WOMEN

1. Maddie Studdon (Dragons)
2. Hannah Southwell (Roosters)
3. Samantha Bremner (Dragons)
4. Raecene McGregor (Broncos)
5. Tamika Upton (Broncos)
6. Chelsea Lenarduzzi (Broncos)
7. Nita Maynard (Roosters)
8. Keeley Davis (Dragons)
9. Kezie Apps (Dragons)

Reactions: Rabbits 21

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
From my perspective, the Nines were slightly disappointing, but I never expected us to do much anyway given our squad. We are focused on bigger fry, starting this Sunday morning (AEDST). Despite all of this, however, there were are a couple of promising standout players: 1. McKenzie Baker (I think he ended up one of the highest try scorers of the tournament), and 2. Darcy Lussick's brother. I was pleased we won one game, but then again it was only against the Warriors!

Our women's team, unfortunately, looks to have quite a bit of work to do. Off the pace by quite some way. Well done to your mob, SJ. I bet Penrith fans are furious: that would have to be one of the most blatantly bad calls in living memory.

Anyway, on to the remaining trials, and then one of the most interesting and anticipated seasons in quite some time.

Up the mighty Eastern Suburbs Roosters!