News Round 5 - Saints v Cronulla (Away)

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
@SJ Dufty should never have been dropped he’s always been all heart and has a go.

Hunt looks good at hooker.

Just have to hold the ball and you’ll win.

S J S J

Reactions: stanleyg and S J

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
32 - 16

A wins a win I guess - so I'll take it.
Much better today. Hunt was very good at 9. McInnes was your best along with Dufty.

Frizell redeemed himself.

Rava is very dodgy though.

You should be stoked S J S J you just beat your biggest enemies.

Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
On yesterdays performance I would have still been happy if they had lost with a game played like that.
Not sure if Flanagan had much to do with it but it didn't really have Marys fingerprints over that effort.

They played as a team and for each other
They MOVED up in defence with the sharks usually just getting over the half way line on the 4th or 5th tackle instead of usually being down on our 40 or 20 before the kick.
In attack the Dragons were also often crossing or reaching the halfway in each set.
A big improvement in "go Forward"

Offloads?
finally a few more ofloads in the tackle and actually drawing tacklers to commit before passing the ball in the backline.
At least four offloads in the 1st half and maybe five more in the second really gave more impetus to our attack.
Errors? finally a game where they kept them as low as they could. They didn't even give their usual penalty away after sending a kick downfield and tackling in good field position....brilliant.

Dufty?
I said he WASNT the problem and should not have been dropped.
He shone behind 12 other players actually muscling up in defence and moving forward in attack
More energy and commitment across the park and in our halves although Norman? still not sure about him and Ravi had a dose of "Prior" hands.

A cynic might accuse the linesperson of being on the sharks payroll given two BLATANT forward passes were allowed to continue.
I am starting to like the 6 again as it negates conceding a penalty to reset defence but I don't like the amount of attempted BALL STRIPPING now creeping in.

Hopefully they can keep that sort of form against the Titans in the battle for the spoon and it was that poor form that might have lulled the sharks into complacency so every advantage helps.
MOTM? probably the whole team but a toss up between Dufty and Lomax....Lomax was in everything, chased every kick and was very strong pushing off gang tackles.

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Andrew Johns on Ch9 commentary was calling for Hunt to go back to halfback, but why mess with a winning combination?