Rugby League Round 14 - Saints v Parra

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
A good game by the Dragons and not just because they got the win.
They showed they could
Finally play for 80 minutes (first time in a looong time)
they did 7 or 8 offloads ( 2 of which were woeful)
they moved up more in defence than back peddled
they played as a team
they cut down the number of penalties , six agains and handling errors.

Given that effort you have to wonder why they could not, would not or were not allowed to play like that earlier?.

On the debit side they
still concede to many metres in defence
yes it was wet weather footy but still too much one out bash n barge forward play.

The game didnt start off promising
conceded an easy early try
play the ball error
a penalty
but they actually got their act together and got better the longer the game went on rather than worse.

MOTM
McInnes

waste of space player of the night
Norman.

enjoy your retirement from coaching Mary.
Mary tried to blame the other 2 for selections - yet he almost stuffed Dufty and Lomax. Then he persisted with Norman.

I know what he meant but he showed he wouldn't pick people he didn't like.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Mary tried to blame the other 2 for selections - yet he almost stuffed Dufty and Lomax. Then he persisted with Norman.

I know what he meant but he showed he wouldn't pick people he didn't like.
Yes singling out one or two players without looking the reasons for their issues was a mistake.
Dufty was getting NO back up support from his team mates under the high ball but his skills were in other areas and should have been utilised.
He can now pass (sometimes too flat) and has a little kick. The worry is he will try to do too much and wont pass the ball to set up other players
Lomax wasnt a winger nor was he a FB but he is making a great job of the Centre spot
Norman? I know he has the talent but it rarely shows itself at the Dragons and his application seems to wander...maybe thats why he has had a few clubs.
Frizzell? definitely not a wide running back rower at the Dragons..too heavily marked and too obvious. he may be a hit at the Knights though. However Mary persisted in using him out wide and a waste.

Host? turning into a hard tackling hard running back rower so he will slot into Frizzells role
we still need a few big forwards who can offload and run the ball.

Reactions: S J

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Finally showed what they can do. Or, was it just the bounce a week early.
I think the dragons have played some good football recently without getting the lollies at the end, last night that changed and they got the lollies. ;)

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I've been away and am a bit behind. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to cheer for Mary and his team. I think it's fair to say that Parra struggled with their shorter turnaround after a really sapping game last week. Couple of harsh calls either way from the VR; each side could have had another try on another day. Both Dragons wingers had big games, and with Lomax, we almost expect something special now. I wonder if the Dragons can hang onto him.

Reactions: stanleyg and S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I've been away and am a bit behind. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to cheer for Mary and his team. I think it's fair to say that Parra struggled with their shorter turnaround after a really sapping game last week. Couple of harsh calls either way from the VR; each side could have had another try on another day. Both Dragons wingers had big games, and with Lomax, we almost expect something special now. I wonder if the Dragons can hang onto him.
He's been resigned moto748 moto748 I see him and Dufty being a big part of the future. Plus some of the young forwards.

BUT - we do have to hang onto them.

Rava and Pereira played very well - all they now need is consistency. I feel to give one of the tries and not the other would have been cruel - to both teams.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
He's been resigned moto748 moto748 I see him and Dufty being a big part of the future. Plus some of the young forwards.

BUT - we do have to hang onto them.

Rava and Pereira played very well - all they now need is consistency. I feel to give one of the tries and not the other would have been cruel - to both teams.
Ravi improves with each game...
His ball handling was Prior like when he started and his knowledge of the rules was virtually non existent.
Now he has fewer errors to his game.
He runs hard and does some great tackles...In fact spectacular tackles but they do look stupid when he misses.
He does need to stay on his wing when marking up and I almost fell off the chair towards the end of the game when he PASSED the ball in his own in goal