Rugby League Round 12 - Saints v Souths

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
So much potential - just can't defend right.

The Ref didn't help - without those first 3-4 penalties Souths would have been gone. Both sides were offside yet he only penalised one.

Still - we had it - then lost it.

Augurs well for the future - if they can get the right forwards a- a defense - and a coach.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
well the Bunnies proved why they were raging favourites.

The Dragons got away to an exciting start scoring some fine tries....off Bunnies errors.
They looked good but it was thnx to the Bunnies..
The Bunnies finally got their act together and scored some great tries to be the deserved winners.

The Dragons
The good?
Great start plenty of draw the man then pass the ball by our back line.
some great individual defensive efforts.
Dufty and Ravi were very good under the high ball.
One lucky flat pass from Dufty that got a try and I thought if they do it again it will be length of the field tries...against them
Hunt tried hard.
Vaughan was impressive against a bigger pack
Pereira ran some good metres

The Poor?
Our defence turned into a scrambling uncohesive scramble
we constantly conceded penalties after catching the Bunnies in their ten metre area wasting the effort
we constantly conceded too much field position going back to sedentary instead of in your face defensive strategy
offloads in the tackle.....did anyone see any? one maybe?
Ravi was as slow as a snail and by the wrapping looked like he was struggling with an injury. He was also not marking his opposite.
They often got in each others way in defence and Frizzell even collided with Hunt as he was taking the last tackle kick.
Dufty more flat passes intercepted for tries and T Sailor even did the same making the score line worse than it should have been

Summary.
The Bunnies were too good showing why they were favourites.
The dragons just could not keep up with the speed of the game and it was their undoing. They cant slow the game down but they can work on those "six agains" and stupid penalties laying on the opposition when they finally get them near the goal line

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
A better game, or, at least, a more entertaining one, than I expected. Good ball movement from the Dragons early on, and Lomax and Dufty always look a threat in attack. But as so often, the Dragons flatter to deceive, and as the Rabbitohs got into the game and cut out those early errors that gave the Dragons chances, so they took control. I've not been much of a fan of Walker, but he was very good in this game. Reynolds surely is not fully fit (this seems to have been going on for a while). Another game where Mitchell looked far from world-class.

A question for Rabbitohs fans: I have got the idea in my head, for some reason, that Bennett doesn't rate AJ (or perhaps feels he doesn't need him, having signed Mitchell, perhaps that's a better way of looking at it). I've always thought he was one of your better performers. Is this fair, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Known Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Bad luck about Thursday's result S J S J and stanleyg stanleyg, but you guys had the upper hand and, to me, it was more of a case of it being your game to lose rather than the Bunnies' to win. They played okay, but in fairness you probably should have been able to hang on and take it out. They seemed to be hungrier and more desperate at times.

Oh well, at least you have an extra day to prepare for next week. ;)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The_Fanatical_Rooster The_Fanatical_Rooster

They look to me like a young team on the way up - so long as they can get a few extra players. Even JdB back.

I'd love someone like Klemmer in the front. But also someone in place of Norman. Aitken is playing better - as he's now playing for his contract.

Dufty is getting better - he will make mistakes - but so did Billy Slater.

So - if Clune is back I'd risk it and play Sailor instead of Norman.

Typical Mary - he didn't give Sailor a go until it was too late. He is not a good Coach.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
at least one LARGE impact running forward who can offload or even two is what is needed at the Dragons.
If the pack can go forward and use the ball then our backs are pretty good and will fire at least in attack.
Norman is a worry and I agree with SJ....he needs to go or get a rocket so he actually uses his brain at 5/8th.
They just cant keep up with the speed of the game and while Flanagan has improved their defence it falls apart under constant pressure.
we must be one of the top clubs for conceding six again.