Rugby League Round 11 - Saints v Cronulla (Away ?)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
24 - 28

What can you say.

The NRL have confirmed the Bunker got the Jack Williams try decision WRONG and two officials have been dropped for Sunday's games. The question must be asked - why did they act so fast. They usually look at it 100 times - but this time - with doubt - they just rushed it.

I like the Bunker - BUT this is what it was introduced to stop.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
You could tell from the players reaction he hadn't scored. Then the video showed this. YET - they gave try ? You have to ask why ?

1595709633298.png

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
It was a game that had a bit of everything.
some fine tries, some fine non try tries, some poor ref decisions, some even poorer bunker decisions.
Over all the better team on the night won well even though it ended as a close finish.

The Sharks
Their pack was too big, too strong and made huge inroads into our defence.
Rudolph and Hunt had a HUGE impact on the game with the sharks ending up attacking our line at the end of almost every set.
They also made the most of the almost constant "six again" rule

The Dragons
Over run and under constant siege from a much bigger pack
we could not keep up with the speed of the game and conceded to much field position and "six agains".
Norman again looked "lost"

On the bright side Vaughan and Lawrie played well against a bigger pack
Dufty improves more each each week and has actually added a kick and some occasional passes to his game
Lomax was good
Ravi surprised under the constant high kicks by finally showing a safer pair of hands
there were even a few more offloads and some draw and passes.

It is something Mary and Flanagan can work with BUT while our defence is committed we cant sustain conceding so much ground if we want to win more games.
Our pack is just too small to be successful against the likes of storm or Parra or Raiders.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I actually think losing Frizz is not a bad thing in regard to size. Kerr, Lawrie and Vaughan are good. BUT - we need another big tough guy - who doesn't concede penalties/sendoffs/suspensions every time he plays.

I'd be looking at offloading Norman too - and going hard for someone like Keary - who is off contract next year. - so November. We have the money.

Plus a new coach of course.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
I actually think losing Frizz is not a bad thing in regard to size. Kerr, Lawrie and Vaughan are good. BUT - we need another big tough guy - who doesn't concede penalties/sendoffs/suspensions every time he plays.

I'd be looking at offloading Norman too - and going hard for someone like Keary - who is off contract next year. - so November. We have the money.

Plus a new coach of course.
sadly Frizz is leaving but while he is here he is being used incorrectly unless Mary wants him to be a decoy.
Every time he gets the ball he is a marked man and has not got an offload away in almost living memory.
Bring him in closer to the ruck and move Mohawk out wide of the play.

Norman like Lafai was is capable of so much more so either he doesnt fit the Saints playbook or he is lost at the Dragons.
Norman should be being more pro active and steering the play but he isnt.

I dont know where recruitment will find them but they need an impact forward like
Haas
Taumalolo
Nelson
Jnr Paulo
Hunt
Rudolph
Woods
If they can get an impact player who can offload and a few more Mcinnes committed tackler types it would improve our attack and defence.

Last edited:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
sadly Frizz is leaving but while he is here he is being used incorrectly unless Mary wants him to be a decoy.
Every time he gets the ball he is a marked man and has not got an offload away in almost living memory.
Bring him in closer to the ruck and move Mohawk out wide of the play.

Norman like Lafai was is capable of so much more so either he doesnt fit the Saints playbook or he is lost at the Dragons.
Norman should be being more pro active and steering the play but he isnt.

I dont know where recruitment will find them but they need an impact forward like
Haas
Taumalolo
Nelson
Jnr Paulo
Hunt
Rudolph
Woods
If they can get an impact player who can offload and a few more Mcinnes committed tackler types it wold improve our attack and defence.
We pay Norman and Hunt 20% of our Cap. They repay us with about 20% of what we need from them. I guess that's equal ... ;)

Agree on Frizz. Also Dufty. It took constant criticism to get Mary to play him - now they say its a coaching masterpiece ! He also nearly stuffed Lomax.

Reactions: stanleyg

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Lots of bad luck for the dragons last night should have come away as winners, rugby league can be a cruel game.

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
I think the best (just) team won, but of course the Bunker decision was very poor.
I didn't see the full game but I saw 2 try scoring opportunities for the dragons go begging towards the end of the game, and then I read this morning about the bunker debacle so my conclusion is that the better team lost.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
I reckon you'd have to pay him at least $1,000,000 per season to take him away from the Roosters.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
RADICAL RABBIT RADICAL RABBIT

Lomax looks like a handy player.
Yes - reminds me of Chang - so much. Keeps improving too

I reckon you'd have to pay him at least $1,000,000 per season to take him away from the Roosters.
Yes - well Norman is meant to be on around $850k - so with the Frizz money and Lafai's we'd easily have it. I'd move on a few others too.

BUT - we must get rid of Mary first.