News Round 10 - Saints v Canterbury

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Yes, well done S J S J, you responded when it mattered most.

I kind of feel a bit sorry for the Bulldogs, though. They were better today.
Yeah, the Bulldogs continue to improve a bit (from a very low base), and really should have won that. Thompson looks to be settling in well. He is a good player and should do well for them. The Dragons certainly look better with Hunt at 9 and Clune at 7. Norman continues to flatter to deceive, and was fortunate to get the gift of the winning play.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
The Dragons did rescue victory from the jaws of defeat through NOT giving up which is usually what happens.
The game started off brilliantly.
A planned kick, a good catch and a GREAT OFFLOAD....a rarity in our team.
They backed it up soon after with Aitken running in a try.
I could sense a change in the team , whether it was going to sleep or the easy start affected them but it was all downhill with 20 unanswered points.

To their credit they didnt fold and kept plugging away to make an exciting and suspenseful game of it to get the points.

Dufty was good
Norman played above his normal form and not because he scored the winning try but because he made a better effort at tackling and steering the teams play, something a 5/8th should be doing.
Ravi was a highlight for a laugh. He went for another of his great power tackles.....and missed.

The Dodgies?
some bad luck at the start beyond their control but they seemed to lift their game and many teams would have struggled against that form especially given the assistance they received in referee decisions. The Dragons need to work on their discipline.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Dragons did rescue victory from the jaws of defeat through NOT giving up which is usually what happens.
The game started off brilliantly.
A planned kick, a good catch and a GREAT OFFLOAD....a rarity in our team.
They backed it up soon after with Aitken running in a try.
I could sense a change in the team , whether it was going to sleep or the easy start affected them but it was all downhill with 20 unanswered points.

To their credit they didnt fold and kept plugging away to make an exciting and suspenseful game of it to get the points.

Dufty was good
Norman played above his normal form and not because he scored the winning try but because he made a better effort at tackling and steering the teams play, something a 5/8th should be doing.
Ravi was a highlight for a laugh. He went for another of his great power tackles.....and missed.

The Dodgies?
some bad luck at the start beyond their control but they seemed to lift their game and many teams would have struggled against that form especially given the assistance they received in referee decisions. The Dragons need to work on their discipline.
Hey StG stanleyg stanleyg - are you suggesting Mary hadn't planned for that dropped ball all game long. We were just toying with them !

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
Well a great comeback by the Dragons to keep their season alive!

Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Hey StG stanleyg stanleyg - are you suggesting Mary hadn't planned for that dropped ball all game long. We were just toying with them !
I have no idea what Mary has planned but I am not that sure he does either.
He just sends them out and hopes for the best.

Flanagan obviously has solved some of the clubs problems by working on their defence but as soon as he plugs one hole the opposition find another.

The offload at 57 seconds was the best I have seen apart from Mcinnes a week ago but sadly they are too few especially in our forward pack.

If you look at the attack of the top teams....eels, roosters, choccies and storm offloads and draw the tackler then passing play a big part in their attack...they make the ball do the work and its a lesson our club isnt learning.

Our backline however is improving and Norman did a lot more on the weekend so maybe a bit more self belief is good for them.
They wont however give a such a start t most other teams and be lucky enough to run them down.

One highlight of that game was Ravi missing that tackle. Big hits are great.....when they come off

Last edited:
Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
Flanno seems to have helped.

Now we have Green on the market too.
yes an Lafai has been released. I thought he might be heading back to the dogs.
If he finds the form he is capable of he would be a bargain buy.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
He had ability - our coach didn't seem to be able to develop it.

But - a little more more in the pot I guess.