Rugby League Roosters – News, Signings and Departures

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Danny Weidler
SMH
17 October 2020

Some of my social media-savvy sources have sent me what looks likea significant development in the Joseph Suaalii story: he is no longer following the Rabbitohs on Instagram. The only club he follows is – wait for it – the Sydney Roosters; the club that definitely wants him.
The Roosters are playing down their interest. The tricolours claim Wests Tigers, and maybe even the Broncos, are his likely destinations if he doesn’t re-sign with Souths. The Roosters would have to clear salary cap room to sign him.
Angus Crichton’s name has been mentioned to rival clubs, but he would be prepared to stay for less after his deal expires. Suaalii already has a $600,000-a-year offer on the table from Souths for 2022 and beyond. So the Rabbits think that’s the minimum the schoolboy sensation will accept.
Souths have made it clear to me they are ready to release him next year to rugby or any other NRL team – just not the Roosters. The Bondi-based club will challenge that if it reaches that stage. Roosters boss Nick Politis doesn’t lose out in these situations too often.
It was fascinating to watch Suaalii go through his paces in a sprint session during the week under the watchful eye of sprint coach Roger Fabri. There is no question the kid has athletic ability, but at this point he does not have blistering speed. He was being watched by two networks’ TV cameras – and almost no attention was being paid to Manase Fainu and Bryce Cartwright – two
well-known NRL players.

Reactions: S J

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Known Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Thank you for sharing the article Southy, but I am not sure this is the best piece of journalism that I have ever seen!

I would want his attitude to be better than what I believe it is like at present before coming to our club. You can have all the talent in the world, but you need to be the right cultural fit to succeed at our organisation.

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Thank you for sharing the article Southy, but I am not sure this is the best piece of journalism that I have ever seen!

I would want his attitude to be better than what I believe it is like at present before coming to our club. You can have all the talent in the world, but you need to be the right cultural fit to succeed at our organisation.
Agree TFR, a lot of Souths supporters around the forums seem to feel the same re his attitude.

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
The roosters are ruthless.
It is poor making him the scapegoat and trying to move him on when he’s only on 275k and then all of a sudden they’ll have their usual 600k spare out of that.

I thought Flanagan had a good year, wrong how they’re treating him.

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
Danny Weidler
SMH
17 October 2020

Some of my social media-savvy sources have sent me what looks likea significant development in the Joseph Suaalii story: he is no longer following the Rabbitohs on Instagram. The only club he follows is – wait for it – the Sydney Roosters; the club that definitely wants him.
The Roosters are playing down their interest. The tricolours claim Wests Tigers, and maybe even the Broncos, are his likely destinations if he doesn’t re-sign with Souths. The Roosters would have to clear salary cap room to sign him.
Angus Crichton’s name has been mentioned to rival clubs, but he would be prepared to stay for less after his deal expires. Suaalii already has a $600,000-a-year offer on the table from Souths for 2022 and beyond. So the Rabbits think that’s the minimum the schoolboy sensation will accept.
Souths have made it clear to me they are ready to release him next year to rugby or any other NRL team – just not the Roosters. The Bondi-based club will challenge that if it reaches that stage. Roosters boss Nick Politis doesn’t lose out in these situations too often.
It was fascinating to watch Suaalii go through his paces in a sprint session during the week under the watchful eye of sprint coach Roger Fabri. There is no question the kid has athletic ability, but at this point he does not have blistering speed. He was being watched by two networks’ TV cameras – and almost no attention was being paid to Manase Fainu and Bryce Cartwright – two
well-known NRL players.
No club will take Sualii on the terms and conditions he currently wants, I think the kid has been getting bad advice in his ear.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Known Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
It is poor making him the scapegoat and trying to move him on when he’s only on 275k and then all of a sudden they’ll have their usual 600k spare out of that.

I thought Flanagan had a good year, wrong how they’re treating him.
There is more to this than meets the eye.

I understand that there are issues with his attitude, as well as the influence of his father. You have to be the right cultural fit for our team, and I am not sure that he necessarily was.

Anyway, it looks like he may be going to the Dogs.