Remove Soward Now

The Red V

Apr 24, 2013
I know he is not the sole reason why we are not firing but I think with him signing with the Panthers for next year it is time to experiment and try something new. Bring in Drinkwater or one of the younger guys and give them a chance. I doubt they would be any worse. Lets try things this year so next year we don't get the excuse "We are going through a rebuilding stage"

Fanrrior

Jul 26, 2012
O c'mon. Every team that ranks lower than 10 is going through a rebuilding stage ;)

Personally, I'd wait until Soward stuffs up badly, gets injured, the other options are firing, or once I know for certain my club isn't making the top 8 before dropping him. Still surprised he's leaving tbh.

The Red V

Apr 24, 2013
As a suffering Dragons supporter a can't wait to see the back of him. I have never liked him as a player. Week in and Week out you get nothing from him and then maybe 2 or 3 times a season you would get a decent game out of him.
Can't wait for Widdop to arrive and I hope Mateo is not far behind him.

Knitey

Dec 28, 2012
Tasmania
Looks like Gould has got the PR machine out early to improve Sowards image...lol.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226631822462

He's talking like he's the only one who has to tackle big props and that's what makes him so tough. And he's so much better than everyone else. I'm pretty sure only Gus is a fan.

He loves being the victim, lol its so obvious he has little man syndrome

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I know he is not the sole reason why we are not firing but I think with him signing with the Panthers for next year it is time to experiment and try something new. Bring in Drinkwater or one of the younger guys and give them a chance. I doubt they would be any worse. Lets try things this year so next year we don't get the excuse "We are going through a rebuilding stage"
This is a hard one. I know when Darbs and the others were going the team did suffer. The mind can't be blanked out completely. But - he is our best option at the moment and thus must play. He is giving his best - but you can see both sides will gain by his move.

Good to see the new names coming - see New Signings thread.

maroubranos

Apr 5, 2013
Too early to tell yet, he was firing for 3 games leading up to the announcement but so were the forwards. He looked out of sorts against the Roosters but at the same time the pack was being held by the Roosters pack. If he goes into hiding when the team is moving forward then I guess its time to pull him in favour of some good youngsters.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St George Illawarra Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward admits he will be giving it his all for his teammates until the end of the season. The Wagga Kangaroos junior announced last week his decision to join the Penrith Panthers next season on a four-year contract but has confessed the difficulty which resulted in making such a conclusion. The Premiership and World Club Challenge winning pivot states he has made lifelong friendships at the Dragons and wants to honour that by giving it his all in 2013.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Soward-Doing-It-For-My-Mates/73577

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Too early to tell yet, he was firing for 3 games leading up to the announcement but so were the forwards. He looked out of sorts against the Roosters but at the same time the pack was being held by the Roosters pack. If he goes into hiding when the team is moving forward then I guess its time to pull him in favour of some good youngsters.
Agree. You need a good pack - going forward - for the halves to shine. But then you need a good half to get the forwards going ... :)