Opinion NRL: The Question of Cameron Smith ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
rabs1 rabs1 raised an interesting question on Cam Smith - what is his price ?

Is he worth $500k - and thus - should the NRL not accept a contract from any Club for less than that ?

I can see why they would do this but it does raise issues.

FOR: If, say, you wanted to play for a team - and didn't really care how much money you got - why can't you agree to less ?

He lives in Qld now - and wants another season. He might see the Broncs as a chance to do a "Tom Brady". Money might not be why !

AGAINST: Still - I think teams have to be made accountable under the Cap and not get around it.

Comments ?

Reactions: rabs1

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
If anyone is interested I thought we could have something like this every week ?

Using the same title - but changing the name - eg NRL - The Question of Lattrell Mitchell ? It could relate to his weight, injuries etc etc. This is just an example.

But it would be our ideas etc - NOT media comment.

If someone wants to do next week that's OK by me.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
But - the Cam Smith issue is real. Should he be allowed to play for less - and should the Broncos get such an advantage ?

rabs1

Feb 17, 2021
Brisbane
rabs1 rabs1 raised an interesting question on Cam Smith - what is his price ?

Is he worth $500k - and thus - should the NRL not accept a contract from any Club for less than that ?

I can see why they would do this but it does raise issues.

FOR: If, say, you wanted to play for a team - and didn't really care how much money you got - why can't you agree to less ?

He lives in Qld now - and wants another season. He might see the Broncs as a chance to do a "Tom Brady". Money might not be why !

AGAINST: Still - I think teams have to be made accountable under the Cap and not get around it.

Comments ?
They wouldn't let us
But - the Cam Smith issue is real. Should he be allowed to play for less - and should the Broncos get such an advantage ?
I believe he should have to pay what ever the nrl think he is worth,he is still too good to play for a club on the cheap...

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
They wouldn't let us

I believe he should have to pay what ever the nrl think he is worth,he is still too good to play for a club on the cheap...

I agree - but can see the argument that its his affair if he wants to take less.

BUT - we have a Cap to even things out - this would go against this.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Macarthur
The main reason the salary cap started was to save clubs from killing themselves by spending more than what they could afford.

If Cam Smith doesn't sign until this month then maybe they can say they can pay him less, because the season, as far as training goes, starts in November or December. Cam Smith and the Titans could have made a verbal agreement in secret months ago, but are waiting to sign him so they can maybe pay him less.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The main reason the salary cap started was to save clubs from killing themselves by spending more than what they could afford.

If Cam Smith doesn't sign until this month then maybe they can say they can pay him less, because the season, as far as training goes, starts in November or December. Cam Smith and the Titans could have made a verbal agreement in secret months ago, but are waiting to sign him so they can maybe pay him less.

Yessss ....

Nov 7, 2018
I dont think it’s right for the NRL to assign a particular value to a player.
I think a club should be able to pay as little as they want if Smith agrees to it. Provided it’s all above board.
One could argue Benji is undervalued and even Latrell. Where do you draw the line?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I dont think it’s right for the NRL to assign a particular value to a player.
I think a club should be able to pay as little as they want if Smith agrees to it. Provided it’s all above board.
One could argue Benji is undervalued and even Latrell. Where do you draw the line?

I agree to an extent - but it allows rorts. The Cap is meant to even the Comp out - not allow teams to accumulate players who "like" them.

Raboriginal

Jan 13, 2020
Maybe you should be able to apply for an exemption based on extenuating circumstances. Eg. He is living in qld so he if its choice between a sydney team or a qld team for unders maybe he could be exempt to take the qld team for unders but if for example if someone is based in Sydney and tigers offer a player 800k and the roosters offer them 400k then the roosters should be made to pay market value.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Maybe you should be able to apply for an exemption based on extenuating circumstances. Eg. He is living in qld so he if its choice between a sydney team or a qld team for unders maybe he could be exempt to take the qld team for unders but if for example if someone is based in Sydney and tigers offer a player 800k and the roosters offer them 400k then the roosters should be made to pay market value.

I'm in two minds. But I feel we have to back the Cap - and fair play.

Reactions: Raboriginal

wilco

Very Active Member
Apr 11, 2016

Exactly. His team when he was a kid

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Macarthur
but if for example if someone is based in Sydney and tigers offer a player 800k and the roosters offer them 400k then the roosters should be made to pay market value.
Then you would have clubs offering a player a certain amount that is more than they are worth, when not really wanting that player, just to make another club use more of its salary cap to sign him.