Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Opinion NRL Discussion Issues !

Discussion in 'National Rugby League' started by S J, Feb 28, 2016.

1. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

I did these some years ago and thought it was a good time to re-introduce them.

Any issue can be raised - by anyone - BUT no slander, silliness, rudeness, liable etc etc is to be engaged in.

Posts of this nature will be deleted and Members cautioned.

2. S J

My first issue is the release/retirement of players on "medical' grounds by clubs - which then means their payment is outside the Cap.

The possible payout from Parra to Watmough is an interesting conundrum for the NRL. If a club in the future is clearly over the Cap - and still wants to buy a top player - then it could - in theory - allow a player to retire - for "medical" reasons.

This could include mental issues. Who could argue against it ? This is clearly not the case with Watmough (he has well recognised knee problems) - but we all know what can happen and how ideas develop.

By doing this, Clubs would not only slip back under the Cap - but also - if the player "retiring" was on a decent whack - pick up the star - on a back ended contract.

Should there be some sort of agreement that the Club cannot then buy a "star" in the year their player "retires" ?

It might be just my mind - but I can see someone, sometime, looking at this "loophole".

3. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

It is a can of worms but I don't see any problem in "paying" out a player for retirement due to genuine injury as long as it
    1. doesn't involve a lump sum and is paid out in instalments that cover the duration of the contract
    2. The player doesn't make a miraculous recovery and appear in super league or some other physical sport

It could of course need careful oversight to prevent rorting by both player and club where a decision could be influenced by issues like a clubs financial cash flow.
    Back ended contracts are one thing that should be banned. If a club cannot afford to pay a player their agreed financial value from the start they should not be allowed to sign them.
    Back ended contracts give rise to issues where some players take pay cuts or even leave to accommodate a back ended contract player like M gasnier for example who then left early by "retiring" although not from injury.

4. S J

Humour in the NRL.

Truly - the media are a mob of dickheads (no pun intended - see below).

Roberts makes a funny comment about "speed" - no ill intention. Then Benny makes one about the NRL float in the Mardi Gras. The media starts the usual hypercritical crap.

Surely we can still make a harmless joke without the PC brigade coming out (no pun intended).

ALX22 likes this.
  5. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but journalists telling the truth never sells newspapers.

Good to see a player say something funny for a change rather then "yeah mate, good game from the boys, we tackled hard etc etc".

6. stanleyg

Sensationalism sells. If a journo is going to write "responsible" stories for a living he wont be employed for long.

7. S J

Touching Referees:

My idea - NO ! You do it - you're gone - just depends how long. You CANNOT have players touching them or even intimidating them - as Klemmer does !

Even in a "happy" way. I find this almost as bad. What next - a high five or a slap on the back ? Where does it end ? A bit like rubbing a players head who has made a mistake. I really hate this.

And penalise the players who hold on in tackles when they have the ball - the penalty pullers. Warn the Captain once - then start penalising. It will stop very quickly.

AND - Refs stop this banter - first name crap. Call players by number - maybe except the Captain. AND penalise for infringements - none of this constant warning.

One rule - no touching ! Simple.

Accidental run-ins - should be a fine. Its up to the player to stay clear.

2 weeks minimum - then increased for severity.

8. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

Agreed, no touching the refs is simple.

Also need to crack down on the cannonball tackle.

9. S J

Perhaps one of the best reasons to go to ANZ. The "Home" team can't "doctor" the change rooms - and all players are treated equally..

Illa Merc: The RLPA is investigating security and welfare issues during and after Sunday's Sharks-Dragons match, including allegations that drunken fans abused St George Illawarra forward Joel Thompson in front of his wife and two year old daughter and threatened to urinate on their car as they were leaving Southern Cross Group Stadium.

The incident occurred after players were forced to walk from the dressing rooms under the western grandstand to a car park in the adjoining Sharkies Leagues Club, which is on the opposite side of the ground.

Cronulla officials have also been asked to explain why fans of all ages were on to field while the teams were waiting for a post-match presentation of the Monty Porter Memorial Cup after the Sharks' 30-2 win, raising fears that a player could be assaulted.
    The RLPA has also raised welfare concerns after Dragons Under 20s players were forced to spend their half time break on the field and had to wait up to 60 minutes after their match to access the dressing room because the club's NRL team was using it.
    While no incident is known to have occurred when the fans invaded the field, Cronulla chief executive Lyall Gorman admitted there had been potential safety issues.

The Sharks conducted a review of security at the ground last season after captain Paul Gallen was confronted by the father of a 10-year-old boy he was accused of refusing to sign an autograph for after a home match against North Queensland but the incident with Thompson indicates that players are still open to abuse from fans.

Thompson took to Twitter on Sunday night to express his frustration over the lack of post-match security after his wife Amy and daughter Imogen were intimidated in the car park but later deleted the post and reported the incident to St George Illawarra officials.
    "Happy to cop abuse especially after that game," Thompson tweeted. "Drunken Sharks fans are a disgrace. Coming over threatening to piss on my car. Swearing in front of my two year old girl. Hard to take in front of my family. You're very lucky there are consequences if I reacted how I wanted to. I'm filthy."

A fan tweeted an apology to Thompson on Monday.

The RLPA is expected to write to Cronulla asking the club to provide security or an alternative way for players and their families to get to the car park without having to risk an encounter with drunken or abusive fans before the Sharks next home game against Melbourne on Monday, March 28.

Gorman said he was unaware of the incident involving Thompson and his family but confirmed there had been a security debrief on Sunday night and Monday to discuss why the fans were on the field so soon after fulltime and how to improve player safety.

"It certainly wasn't sanctioned that way," Gorman said. "We schedule a kick on the field for the kids but it is supposed to be after the second hooter. Some of the young boys and girls on the back of a big win got carried away and it led to a lot of kids being on the field.

"We take that seriously but it is hard to be critical of young kids being emotional and celebrating their heroes. We have to balance that with the welfare of the players and the kids themselves. If a big player turned and accidentally ran over one ... we don't want any of that.

"A lot of people, including media, said how good it looked from a fan engagement point of view but it is something we are certainly focused on making sure doesn't happen at the venue again for welfare and safety reasons."

Asked about the Thompson incident, Gorman said: "We don't condone or appreciate or accept that sort of behaviour and I guess it is regrettable in totality but at least the fan, if it was a fan from our club, has stood up and apologised".

10. stanleyg

The Sharks team this season is good enough to win on its own without a little help from their peanut gallery or supplying poor facilities to the opposition.
    Still you cant blame them for trying anything to jag a good win after all its been a long time since they had a really good win and even longer since they have won a premiership, oooops to date they haven't won one have they?:bag:.
    you only have to think back to infamous issue of their club boss cutting up a young boys St George jersey to know behavourial issues seem ingrained at shark park.

11. S J

Klemmer let off. NRL making a rod for its own back. They must either stop it or it will go on. You can't have "friendly" touches, "accidental" touches", "minor" touches etc etc.

12. S J

Illa Merc: DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has noticed more teams conceding penalties inside their own 20-metre zone as calls for a five-minute sin-bin to be introduced grow louder.
    The Dragons received six straight penalties late in the first half against Penrith on Sunday as the Panthers repeatedly infringed inside their one 20-metre zone.
    It saw captain Peter Wallace warned by referee Ashley Klein but the Panthers kept their full complement of players on the field. McGregor wouldn’t be drawn on whether a sin-bin should be introduced but admitted to being frustrated by the Panthers repeat infringements.
    “Nothing really happened at the end of that [period] and there was no penalty blown in the second half,” he said.
    “It’s a little bit frustrating there and people have talked about it in the past. That nought to 20 [metre] area it seems penalties are blown and teams are using it as a spell to recover off a quick play-the-ball. I’m not saying it’s their tactic but it happened a few times.”

------------

I tend to agree - or a 3 point penalty goal if given in 20.

13. stanleyg

Yes bump a penalty incurred inside the 10 metre zone to 3 points.
    At just short of a try it should discourage giving them away and have teams rely on their defence.
    I don't think the Dragons were going to cross the choccy soldiers line but it didn't stop them giving away penalty after penalty and hoping for a mistake from the Dragons or lose 2 points to a goal instead of a try and possible 6 points.
    Refs are also a bit inconsistent on using the bin for these apparent "professional " fouls. In the sharks game there were two attempts to slow down play to prevent tries.
    Both incurred penalties and only one player went to the bin.

14. S J

Are referrals getting out of hand ... or should everything get referred WITHOUT a Ref's suggestion ...

[​IMG]

15. stanleyg

Right or wrong I would prefer that the decision is made by the Ref/s and their lines people then get on with the game.
    We don't want a game based on speedy play to become more like NFL where it takes 4hrs to play a 60 minute game due to stoppages/challenges and reviews.
    Bunkers and video refs are a slippery slope and you are seeing more players approach the on field ref to explain or to argue against a bunker decision.
    The game survived just fine for the duration of the 20th century without video reviews and you have to wonder what that tautologist Rex might have had to say about it.

S J likes this.
  16. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

No to 3 point penalties, I don't want to see our game going the way of RU, and a three point pen will surely encourage milking. If you can match a converted try with two pens, aren't they going to be easier to get?

As for sin-binning, I'd like to see refs prepared to use the existing sanction at bit more. Classic example I watched just now in the Storm.Sharks game, Korobeite not only obstructed an opponent from an offside position, effectively saved a probable try, and he tripped him too! If that's not a sin-binning, I don't know what is!

17. S J

Agree on trip - it was a send off offence once ... :)

18. S J

I still can't see why they can't use the line on the field to address offside play. The Chooks got a fair try and it was disallowed by the Bunker - BECAUSE they couldn't see it.

A simple line - like the NFL use (and indeed the soccer here) is easily done on the computer - it shows the Chooks player - Aubuson - is clearly onside. It is drawn from side to side - parallel to other lines - placed at the foot of the kicker - and it shows who is where. SIMPLE - yet the Bunker don't use it.

19. stanleyg

Pretty hard to "milk" a penalty in attack when your opposition is defending on its own goal line but its very easy for them to give away a penalty to avoid a try being scored against.
    Even the Bunnies did it a couple of times against the seagles until warned by the Ref. If a 3 pointer is only incurred within the 10 or even 15 metre zone it would be fine by me and force sides to rely on their defence not gamesmanship or dare I say it professional "cheating.
    Whatever they do the Nrl needs to do something quick as the Penrith tactics against the Dragons were a bad look and you cant blame other sides for employing them while they are allowed.

20. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

BTW, as you get all the this free-to-air stuff (and I assume most of you get Fox one way or anther), so do you guys watch *every* NRL game?

I have the facility to see every game in full, but in reality I tend to cherry-pick the most interesting looking ties first. Some weeks I do watch every game (some of them are just 'fillers' for nights when there's nothing on TV), but certain teams do always get left to the bottom of the pile. Nowadays that tends to be the Knights (rubbish), the Storm (dull, dull, dull), and the Bunnies (likewise). In the past I would have included the Broncos (cos I just don't like them), but it would be churlish to deny that they don't play well, and look the second-beat team in the comp.

The Warriors always used to be first choice, for entertainment value if not guaranteed wins, but these days, frankly, they're no more entertaining than anyone else, and the baton of best entertainers has passed to the Tigers, Eels, and Raiders. Raiders! I can't believe I just typed that!n Josh Hodgson has to take a lot of the credit, he has been a great signing and has really blossomed in the NRL.

S J likes this.