Opinion NFL - Superbowl - 53 - 2019

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
After a successful venture to the great white north, the Super Bowl is returning to a familiar setting for 2019. Super Bowl 53 will take place in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, giving the Falcons a chance to earn home-field advantage in the biggest game of the year.

That game takes place on Feb. 3, 2019. CBS holds the broadcasting rights, which means next year’s NFL championship could be Tony Romo’s first opportunity to work a Super Bowl.

2019 marks the first time the game has been played in Atlanta since 2000, when Tennessee’s Kevin Dyson
was stopped half a yard short from giving the world its first-ever Super Bowl overtime. It will be the third time the game has gone to Georgia’s capital and the first to be played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The stadium is less than 1 year old, but it’s no stranger to big games. MBS played host to 2017’s
SEC Championship Game, which pushed the Georgia Bulldogs into the College Football Playoff over the Auburn Tigers. One month later, it was the setting for the CFP National Championship Game, where Alabama knocked off the Bulldogs in overtime after an epic comeback.

Atlanta’s brand new stadium helped the city edge out Miami, New Orleans, and Tampa for hosting rights. Instead, Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium will play host to Super Bowl 54, while Tampa’s Raymond James Stadium will take on the responsibility the following year.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super Bowl 53, also known as Super Bowl LIII, is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 3 2019. Kickoff time would be determined at a later date.

Every Super Bowl since 2003 has taken place during the first week of February. From 1967-2003, all but one Super Bowl took place in January.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Can you ever imagine the NRL having a stadium like this ?
I never imagined rugby league morphing into what is now so anything is possible. Anyone seen Gladys plans or the white elephant at Homebush and Alliance rebuilds?.
Perhaps we might get a Hyundai symbol on one of our stadia

SSTID

Feb 10, 2018
I never imagined rugby league morphing into what is now so anything is possible. Anyone seen Gladys plans or the white elephant at Homebush and Alliance rebuilds?.
Perhaps we might get a Hyundai symbol on one of our stadia
"I never imagined rugby league morphing into what is now so anything is possible."

That's what comes from breeding an elephant with a mouse, you get a "white elephant". It's unnatural stanleyg and so are the changes to our once great game. It has become a physical contact form of Oztag with the speed of the game of primary concern over skills, classic defensive techniques and the rules of the game.

SSTID

Feb 10, 2018
Will the Patriots be there with Tom Brady at QB ?
After Super Bowl LII Brady has come to the end of the road I think. I will be surprised if he makes it through another NFL season. At 40 years of age (41 yrs by Super Bowl LIII) I think like all QB's retirement begins at 40 (if not before). Even legends Joe Montana and Peyton Manning retired before they turned 40 yrs old. I think Brady has reached the peak of the mountain and from the summit, there is nowhere else to climb. He will join Montana and Manning as the 3 best QB's to have played the game.

S J, do you support an NFL team? I follow the "albatross" team of the NFL, the Oakland Raiders. I have followed the Raiders since they won the 1983 AFC Championship game against the Seattle Seahawks going on to victory over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XVIII. My favourite NFL player of all time in Marcus Allen and I was a whisker from getting a genuine NFL football signed by Allen. I paid for it and never received it. Long story which I can explain another time in PM.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
After Super Bowl LII Brady has come to the end of the road I think. I will be surprised if he makes it through another NFL season. At 40 years of age (41 yrs by Super Bowl LIII) I think like all QB's retirement begins at 40 (if not before). Even legends Joe Montana and Peyton Manning retired before they turned 40 yrs old. I think Brady has reached the peak of the mountain and from the summit, there is nowhere else to climb. He will join Montana and Manning as the 3 best QB's to have played the game.

S J, do you support an NFL team? I follow the "albatross" team of the NFL, the Oakland Raiders. I have followed the Raiders since they won the 1983 AFC Championship game against the Seattle Seahawks going on to victory over the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XVIII. My favourite NFL player of all time in Marcus Allen and I was a whisker from getting a genuine NFL football signed by Allen. I paid for it and never received it. Long story which I can explain another time in PM.
I follow a few. Mainly a baseball fan. But - I like Pats and Saints. And the Cheeseheads.

I felt that last "pass" where Brady was hit hard/sacked was the turning point. He looked "old and tired". He is a star player but he may be on the way out. Only thing that'll save him is the Coach.

Archie

Jul 30, 2017
Thought Superbowl was good. Close and tight.

Eagles QB will be open to offers now.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Well Chiefs won.

Saints just beat Eagles 20 - 14.

The Saints outlasted Nick Foles and a disastrous first quarter to bring the NFC title game back to the Superdome for the first time since their Super Bowl-winning 2009 season. The 20-14 outcome was far less assured than the 48-7 throttling the Saints had dealt the Eagles 56 days earlier.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
To Come:

New England Patriots V Kansas City Chiefs:
When: Sunday, Jan. 20, 6:40 p.m. ET
Where: Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

NO Saints V LA Rams
When
: 20 January. 3.05 p.m.
Where: LA

THEN:

Superbowl - February 3 (6.30 p.m. US TIME - so Monday - February 4 here) Atlanta.
4 February 2019 - 9.30 ET.
Fox Sports

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
After a divisional round that didn't feature any upsets, there are only four teams left in the NFL playoffs and those teams will be battling for a berth in Super Bowl LIII this week.

In the AFC, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots are headed to the AFC Championship game for the eighth straight season after thrashing the Chargers 41-28 on Sunday. The win means that the Patriots are now headed for Kansas City, where they'll be facing the top-seeded Chiefs. This game will mark the fifth time that Brady has gone on the road for an AFC title game: The Patriots quarterback has gone just 2-3 in his previous five games with his last road win coming during the 2004 season.

As for Kansas City, the Chiefs will be hosting the AFC Championship game for the first time in franchise history. The Chiefs earned a spot in the game after beating the Colts 31-13 in the divisional round. This week's game will mark the first time the Chiefs have played in the AFC title game since the 1993 season. The AFC Championship will be a rematch of a wild Week 6 game played in New England that the Patriots won 43-40.

In the NFC, the Eagles' Cinderella run ended in New Orleans with a 20-14 loss to the Saints. Thanks to the win, the Saints are now headed back to the NFC title game for the first time since the 2009 season.The top-seeded Saints will play host to the Rams on Jan. 20.

The Rams earned a spot in the title game by beating the Cowboys 30-22 on Saturday. The Rams game in New Orleans will mark the first time since the 2001 season that the Rams have played in an NFC Championship. Like the Patriots-Chiefs game, the NFC Championship will also be a rematch of a wild game that took place earlier this season. Back in Week 9, the Saints beat the Rams 45-35 in New Orleans.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Quite a lot of hoopla though. The game goes for hours and hours. 2 minutes to go can take 15 minutes ... :)