Opinion Melbourne Cup: 2016 / 2017/ 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Bazz - you might be interested in this. No real money involved - just fun of having a horse. you can have a few if you like - for Mrs Bazz and Baby Bazzes ... :)

I'm planning prizes of our WLF money.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Flemington, November 1 (3200m)
1. JAMEKA (Ciaron Maher) 53.5kg (including 2.0kg penalty)

2. ALMANDIN (Robert Hickmott) 51kg (including 1.0kg penalty)

3. BIG ORANGE (Michael Bell) 56kg

4. OUR IVANHOWE (Lee & Anthony Freedman) 56kg

5. CURREN MIROTIC (Osamu Hirata) 55.5kg

6. HARTNELL (John O’Shea) 55kg

7. WHO SHOT THEBARMAN (Chris Waller) 55kg

8. WICKLOW BRAVE (Willie Mullins) 55kg

9. BONDI BEACH (Aidan O’Brien) 55kg

10. EXOSPHERIC (Lee and Anthony Freedman) 55kg

11. TALLY (John O’Shea) 52.5kg

12. GRAND MARSHAL (Chris Waller) 53.5kg

13. GALLANTE (Robert Hickmott) 53.5kg

14. ALMOONQITH (D & B Hayes and T Dabernig) 53.5kg

15. REAL LOVE (Darren Weir) 52kg

16. SIR JOHN HAWKWOOD (John Thompson) 53kg

17. HEARTBREAK CITY (Tony Martin) 53kg

18. HOWARD BE THY NAME (Darren Weir) 51.5kg

19. BEAUTIFUL ROMANCE (Saeed bin Suroor) 51.5kg

20. EXCESS KNOWLEDGE (Waterhouse & Bott) 52.5kg

21. ASSIGN (Robert Hickmott) 51kg

22. SECRET NUMBER (Saeed bin Suroor) 51kg

23. GREY LION (Matt Cumani) 51kg

24. QEWY (Chris Appleby) 50.5kg (including 0.5 penalty)

------

25. PENTATHLON (John Wheeler) 50.5kg

26. ROSE OF VIRGINIA (Lee & Shannon Hope) 50kg

27. VENGEUR MASQUE (Michael :)ey) 50kg

28 OCEANOGRAPHER (Charlie Appleby) 50kg

Not passed ballot

DE LITTLE ENGINE (Danny O’Brien) 50kg

THE BANDIT (John Sadler) 50kg

TOM MELBOURNE (Lee & Anthony Freedman) 50kg

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
How does a horse qualify for the Melbourne Cup?

The $6.2 million Emirates Melbourne Cup is a handicap which features a maximum of 24 runners. Being the richest handicap run anywhere in the world, there is hot competition for spots in the final field. The VRC, in consultation with Racing Victoria, has ultimate choice about the make-up of the field, but these spots are usually determined by two factors:

1) The weight a horse is allotted to carry in the race by handicappers; and

2) Whether that horse has won a ballot-free race in the lead-up.

How does the handicapping system work?

All horses must be entered for the Melbourne Cup by Tuesday September 1 (in 2015), then Racing Victoria assess each entrant for a handicap and release this by Tuesday September 15. As with all handicaps, in general a horse with the best form/success will attract a higher weight and emerging horses with lesser form will attract a lower weight.

International ratings play a role in shaping these weights as well as the age and gender of the horse. There is no set maximum weight a horse can receive, but the minimum weight is 50kg.

What is the ballot order?

While the initial release of weights determines a rough ranking of horses according to ability, the ballot order, which is the entry ranking for the race, is determined by two factors. They are:

1) Whether the horse previously delivered a race performance which qualifies it for the Melbourne Cup (passing the ballot clause); and

2) The weight it has been allotted in relation to the weight it would be given in a weight-for-age race.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Are there any exceptions to the ballot order?

There are five races which ensure its winners direct passage into the Melbourne Cup of that same year. The winners of the Lexus Stakes and Mackinnon Stakes, run three days before the Cup, as well as the Caulfield Cup, the Cox Plate and as of 2015, The Bart Cummings (a 2500m Group 3 race run in early October) receive a ‘free pass’ to the Melbourne Cup. They are automatically included at the top of the ballot order, regardless of what weight they are allotted.

When is the final field determined?

Final acceptances for the Melbourne Cup are taken around 5pm on the Saturday before the Cup (Derby Day). Ballot order is used to determine who makes the field, but the VRC committee, in consultation with Racing Victoria, have final discretion. The field is confirmed and the barriers are drawn that evening, usually around 6:30pm.

If so many horses wish to run, why is there only room for 24 starters?

The pari-mutuel (TAB/Tote) set-up only allows for a maximum 24 runners in any Australian horse race, so the field size is restricted.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
What about emergencies?

There are no emergencies in the Melbourne Cup as the pari-mutuel system can not currently handle more than 24 horses, and the cost to upgrade this system would vastly outweigh any wagering benefit. The VRC will review this again ahead of the 2017 Melbourne Cup. In recent years, there are compulsory vet checks ahead of final acceptances to help minimise scratchings ahead of the race.

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
Just a fun thing Bazz. I do it each year - but looks like no-one wants to be in it.

You didn't understand by humour - Melbourne Cup it's the best day to do a sweep because not many favorites win it. A few over the years, not many at all.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
You didn't understand by humour - Melbourne Cup it's the best day to do a sweep because not many favorites win it. A few over the years, not many at all.

I understand ... :)

Sweeps are funny. At work people who know nothing generally win. Often - its the only win the gambler gets ... :)

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Jameka might have a chance but what would I know. I think a horse I picked a few years ago is still heading to the finish line.:banghead:
Sweep are my best bet because someone else draws my nag:)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Jameka might have a chance but what would I know. I think a horse I picked a few years ago is still heading to the finish line.:banghead:
Sweep are my best bet because someone else draws my nag:)

So - do you want some - you, the missus, the little ones, the dog ... ;)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Don't have a dog anymore:( but I do have a cat and like me she doesn't bet either lol

You're not betting - you are being given sweep tickets. I guess if you don't watch the race its not worth it. You will only win "WLF" money ... or monopoly money as Bazz says.

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
you can draw a nag for me if you like.
I do watch the race. I think I may have mentioned once before I used to have to work at Randwick sometimes.
They gave me a dollar to bet with and a meal voucher.
I used to put the dollar in my pocked and have a fine meal with entrée at their restaurant.
Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, even those who lost their shirt off their back until they actually lost the shirt.
The young kids who collected the cans for scrap used to go to the Police box and collect all the cans that built up in the roof through the open man hole.

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
Today was a bad betting day - 7 races - 1 place! F******!!!!!!!!!!!! :hilarious: 2 favorites also. haha