Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

ESL London Broncos - New arrivals, departures, gossip

Discussion in 'London Broncos' started by S J, Feb 22, 2014.

1. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Josh Drinkwater from Saints.

A player with loads of potential.

A top half.

2. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. If he's so good that Saints are getting rid of him, I'm not holding my breath...

3. S J

No - he's a young bloke - a player of the future ... not today. Might take a season but has the ability.

4. S J

London Broncos won their first match of the season at the 24th attempt as Challenge Cup finalists Leeds Rhinos suffered a shock defeat at The Hive.

London Broncos (8) 40
    Tries:
    Atkins, Keyes 3, Dixon, McMeeken, Moore Goals: Drinkwater 6
    Leeds Rhinos (24) 36
    Tries:
    Watkins, Walters, Sutcliffe 2, Achurch 2, Hardaker Goals: Hardaker, Sutcliffe 3

5. S J

The Broncos were 22 points behind early in the second half, but fought back to claim their first win in 11 months.

Half-back Joe Keyes scored three of their seven tries, while winger Kieran Dixon marked his return from a long-term knee injury with one of his own.

Leeds missed the chance to move above Wigan Warriors into second position.

6. moto748

Reading that made me check the BBC website to see how strong a side Leeds put out. Fairly strong, but no McGuire, Sinfield, or Burrow.

7. S J

London Broncos owner David Hughes says the club's new-look squad are capable of securing an immediate return to Super League in 2015.
    The Broncos were relegated from the top flight in 2014 after winning just one game all season.
    "This squad we have assembled is better than the Super League one we had last year," Hughes said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/30549783

The Broncos will have to finish in the top four in the Championship to have a chance of returning to Super League.

Should they achieve that initial goal, they would then enter the Super 8s qualifiers, where a top-three finish in a mini-league or a victory in a 4th v 5th placed play-off place, will see the Londoners return to the top flight.
    "I don't underestimate Bradford or Leigh in the Championship," Hughes said.
    "I think the three full-time clubs are probably favourites. We have to be better than them and knock over a Super League team [in the Super 8s]," he added.
    "I think we can do it. My ambition is to get back in Super League and be there for the next 10 years."

BBC

8. Northern_Union

Northern_Union Forum fool

Moto would be able to give us a better heads up on this one but from my reading on it London is starting to produce some quality youngsters who are coming through the Broncos and semi-pro ranks with the likes of the Scholars and Sharks. If the RFL have a brain cell between them they'll work hard to get London back into the ESL. Moto, can you add to this?

S J likes this.
  9. moto748

London have produced some good youngsters; two examples are Wigan's Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson, who performed so well for England in the Four Nations. Plus Louis MacCarthy-Scarsbrook at Leeds, among others. What they haven't managed to do is find a decent audience. And the large Australian community in London (not as large as it was, but there's still a lot of Aussies there) doesn't seem to have helped. A suitable venue (and of course, a reasonably successful side) seems to be the main stumbling block.

Also, I've noticed that, despite league being more popular in Oz than union, whenever I've seen the Kangaroos in England, Kangaroos shirts in the crowd (and SoO ones) have always been well outnumbered by Wallabies ones. Whether that means that the kind of Aussies who come to Europe are disproportionately likely to be union fans (wealthier? more middle-class?), I don't know.

Either way, London will have to rely on their own efforts on the pitch to get back into Superleague. And quite right too, in my view. Having gone back to a P/R system (which I support), we need to leave it now for a few years and not rush to change things again. London don't 'deserve' a place in Superleague any more than Leigh, Halifax, etc etc.

Northern_Union and S J like this.
  10. moto748

LM-S is at St Helens, of course, not Leeds; my bad.

11. S J

12. S J

St George Illawarra prop Mark Ioane has been signed by the London Broncos for the 2016 season.

Ioane, 24, played five games for the Dragons after joining them mid-season from the Gold Coast Titans.

Interesting move. Frees up some more money ... ;)

13. Northern_Union

Northern_Union Forum fool

Ioane is a good young forward. Good pickup for London. I wonder if this will bite SGI on the bum if Rusty P is sent packing....as it were.