Rugby League Kiwis earmark unsung Roosters star Moa

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
He was the least heralded of the Sydney Roosters' five off-season signings but Sam Moa's stellar performances for the NRL high-flyers are set to earn him a spot in New Zealand's title defence at the Rugby League World Cup.
Moa's arrival from Super League side Hull FC went almost unnoticed amidst the hoopla surrounding Sonny Bill Williams, James Maloney, Michael Jennings and Luke O'Donnell.
But the powerful 26-year-old prop has attracted the interest of Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney after being a major contributor in the Roosters' rise to second spot on the ladder - including bagging his third try in Sunday's 28-12 win over Newcastle.
The Aucklander played just one game for Cronulla in 2008 before heading to Hull in January the following year in the middle of one of the coldest winters in living memory in the north of England.
It was the first of four happy years with the Airlie Birds where he became a fan favourite before being enticed back to Australia by Roosters assistant coach and former Hull teammate Craig Fitzgibbon.
"It's been a really great move for me," Moa told NZ Newswire.
"Fitzy is the main reason I am here and I am very grateful to him.
"For someone who's achieved so much in the game he's the most humble man I've ever met in the way he always wants to help other people."
Although he played for Tonga in the 2008 World Cup and also in the eventful 34-6 win over Samoa at Penrith in April, a recent phone call from Kiwis coach Kearney to inquire about his availability could see him turn out for New Zealand at the World Cup in the UK later this year.
Moa is keen to play for the country of his birth and, with an injury cloud hanging over Sam McKendry due a broken neck, he could find himself in the side if he maintains his fine form.
"Steve Kearney rang me and told me he would like me to play for the Kiwis which was great to hear," he said.
"But my focus has to be on the Roosters and if I continue to play well then the rest will look after itself.
"I've always proudly played for Tonga but my form is going to determine who is going to want me to play for them at the World Cup."

Ian McCullough, NZ NewswireJuly 29, 2013, 1:32 pm

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
Geez it irks me with all this jumper hopping rubbish. Players should not have the option to pick and choose which country they want to play for. League will continue to look like a joke when you have the likes of Uate, Tamou and now by the looks of things Moa picking and choosing.