Opinion Kangaroos - News and Views

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
A Tongan brick wall managed to corral a top-flight Australian team to upset the Kangaroos 16-12 in Auckland on Saturday night and usher in a new era of international rugby league.

It had been 41 years since Australia had been beaten by a nation other than New Zealand, Great Britain or England. And that was France back in 1978.

Wirral Warrior

Nov 2, 2019
Well deserved win.........I think they smashed the Aussie pack rather than 'corral' them.
They smashed us last week as well
Not just the pack either...Lolehea was best player on the park.

Wirral Warrior

Nov 2, 2019
I would say the Tongan brick wall smashed rather than corralled the Aussie team today...as they smashed us last week.
Lolohea, who was not part of the brick wall was best player on the park.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
More credit to Ian Watson at Salford? I never thought Lolo was all that the Warriors, and he didn't change my mind at Leeds either, but he has looked twice the player this year for Salford, and has carried that form to international level. And how good did Stagg look?

One thing's for sure: after watching England go down to the Springboks and GB lose to a pretty ordinary NZ side, this game was a massive improvement in quality from both sides. Although I haven't seen a replay and don't know quite how the Kangaroos butchered that chance at the end, when it looked like they had to score.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Just a one-off imo.

We played badly with a make-shift side - so many errors. Also a few really bombed chances.

But top marks to them for capitalising on it. I agree - I've NEVER seen some of them play that well.

Not sure on our halves combo.

Reactions: stanleyg

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
Just a one-off imo.

We played badly with a make-shift side - so many errors. Also a few really bombed chances.

But top marks to them for capitalising on it. I agree - I've NEVER seen some of them play that well.

Not sure on our halves combo.
I think the whole spine needs to have a good hard look at themselves except for Tedesco. Even someone like Mitchell had a chance to dive on the ball but chose not to put his body on the line and chose to kick the ball instead. Payne Hass has a bright future.

Reactions: ALX22

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I felt Mitchell looked injured in a few plays. We missed Keary and maybe Hunt (instead of Murray ?).

Cookie tried hard. Our forwards are good but they didn't really do much - they did hold their own mostly but I'd like to have seen some real ball playing skills shown.

We badly missed a player like Tommy T as well.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
suckered into taking on the Tongans at their "power" game with an inexperienced aussie squad was a risk that didn't pay off.

The Aussie team is brimming with individual talent that should have played "smarter" rather than try and out tough their way to a win.

In the past islander sides have run out of "puff" at the back end of games but that's not happening so much these days.

Well deserved win by the Reds.