Auto Poster Joseph Manu's numerous fans honour him with haka after Kiwis win

Stuff News Articles

Auto Poster
Apr 23, 2013
Joseph Manu's numerous fans honour him with haka after Kiwis win

Last updated 20:35, October 15 2018

1 NEWS

Manu's family and friends gave the centre a special ending to an already-special evening.

Kiwis rookie Joseph Manu was welcomed off the field after Saturday's win against the Kangaroos with a haka and a Cook Islands traditiontional chant.

The centre was at the centre of attention with a heart-warming celebration from friends and family at Mt Smart Stadium.

Manu was on debut for the Kiwis in their 26-24 win over the Kangaroos and he was reported to have a busload of supporters to watch him.

Joseph Manu, left, gets a hug from Jared Waerea-Hargreaves after his successful Kiwis debut against the Kangaroos on Saturday night.

After the game, the Roosters centre made his way to the stands to find his fans who performed a haka and a traditional Cook Islands chant.

READ MORE:
* Manu ready to go head-to-head with Roosters
* Manu reveals plan to parade NRL trophy in Tokoroa
* Kiwis' captaincy surprise
* Proctor out to make amends
* Smith out of star's shadow

His friends and family had made their way up from his hometown of Tokoroa to be there, 1 News reported.

Joseph Manu fans flocked to Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday night to watch them defeat the Kangaroos.

Manu played a starring role in the Roosters' NRL premiership triumph, out-shining Rabbitohs great Greg Inglis in the preliminary final before scoring a try in the grand final victory over the Storm.

Less than 24 hours later he was named in Michael Maguire's Kiwis squad.

"I've had a pretty good year and I believed a lot in myself," Manu told Stuff.

"I'm buzzing but I've got a job to do for the Kiwis and I want to beat Australia."

Ad Feedback

It's not the first time travelling supporters have followed Manu - they also recently crossed the ditch to attend the NRL Grand Final in which Manu was also victorious.

- Stuff

Next League story:

Kiwis coach Michael Maguire turns attention to England

Sport Homepage

Comments

Continue reading...