Rugby League Indigenous News, PNG, Non Country Specific Teams and Games

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Didn't know what to call this - but we do seem to be heading down this path - ie teams made up from specific "peoples" not necessarily all available - from countries.

Open to ideas.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
First Nations Goannas coach Laurie Daley has named a 20-man squad for the upcoming Festival of Indigenous Rugby League clash against New Zealand Maori in February at Redfern Oval.

The fixture will mark the first coaching role Daley will undertake since he was sacked as NSW Blues coach in August, with the week-long celebrations to replace the annual All Stars fixture leading into the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

The three-game event will feature both men and women's Maori teams for the first time, while the Newcastle Yowies (NSW) will play Queensland's Dhadin Geai Warriors in an interstate challenge clash before the main game.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
First Nations Goannas: Isaac Briggs, Randall Briggs, Josh Charles, Brenton Cochrane, Wes Conlon, Adrian Davis, Greg Davis, Bennett Leslie, Tristan Lumley, Will Merritt, Zac Merritt, Wes Middleton, Maipele Morseu, Michael Purcell, Trent Rose, Dan Tanner, Justin Toomey-White, Noel Underwood, Kieran Vale, Ryan Walker. Coach: Laurie Daley.

First Nation Gems: Layla Fauid, Sarah Field, Eunice Grimes, Tahlia Hunter, Rikka Lane, Samartha Leisha, Kazzia Lemmon, Tanika Marshall, Kiara Maza, Sharon McGrady, Stephanie Mooka, Kaitlin Moss, Carly Phillips, Amber Pilley, Paris Robinson, Taleena Simon, Ash Singleton, Rihanna Sutherland, Shakia Tungai, Shaylin Williams. Coach: Ben Jeffries.

New Zealand Maori: Anthony Cherrington, Brad Clark, Zach Clay, Levi Dodd, Carne Doyle Manga, Patrick Herbert, Jake Jackson, Paoro Kemp, Jesse Malcom, Rulon Nutira, Piki Rogers, Kurtis Rowe, Manaia Rudolph, Dylan Smith, Reuben Taylor, Spike Teo, O’Shea Tuisua, Aussie Tuwhangai, Waka Wanahi, Clayton Williams, Parahi Wilson. Coach: Mark Horo.

New Zealand Maori Ferns: Billy-Jean Ale, Jess Bennett, Aleasha Brider, Sherri Burgess, Teina Clark, Jocephy Daniels, Te Aroha Hapuku, Chanel Hundleson, Kerehitina Matua, Terehia Matua, Tanika-Jazz Noble, Lisa Rua, Jonsal Tautari, Karley Te Kawa, Kadison-Tyra Robertson, Liahona Wanoa, Geneva Webber, Kararaina Wira-Kohu, Sharnita Woodman, Suzanne Yee. Coach: Victor Heke.

Tickets for the Festival of Indigenous Rugby League are on sale now at www.nrl.com/tickets.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Rugby league has helped one of Papua New Guinea's most famous sons provide the means to achieve it all in his homeland. Stanley Gene grew up in the highlands of the South Pacific nation living in a village with no running water and a hut with no electricity.

His success as a Super League cult figure in England ensured that changed for those who remained in Segu, more than 8,600 miles away. The game, he said, also saved him from an almost inevitable life of crime. "Rugby league gave me everything," the 45-year-old told BBC Sport.

"It helped educate me - the field was like going back to the classroom. It gave me confidence to talk and a language to speak.

"It made me become who I am. It gave me a family here in England, and never in my wildest dreams did I think that would have happened. "I appreciate that to this day and it's why I like to give back. And there is a lot in PNG to help with."

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Papua New Guinea v Great Britain Lions
Date: Saturday, 16 November Kick-off: 07:30 GMT Coverage: Live on BBC Two from 07:00 GMT, repeat on BBC Red Button at 11:30 GMT, live text commentary on BBC Sport website; highlights on BBC Two at 16:30 GMT, repeat on BBC Red Button 20:00-23:45 GMT.

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
Papua New Guinea v Great Britain Lions
Date: Saturday, 16 November Kick-off: 07:30 GMT Coverage: Live on BBC Two from 07:00 GMT, repeat on BBC Red Button at 11:30 GMT, live text commentary on BBC Sport website; highlights on BBC Two at 16:30 GMT, repeat on BBC Red Button 20:00-23:45 GMT.
I think it is 6.30pm Sydney time.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Thirty-six of the nation's leading Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander female rugby league players have been named for a development and selection camp taking place in Sydney this weekend.

Indigenous Women's All Stars selector, Dean Widders said the camp would provide an opportunity to bring the squad together with plenty of time to work on combinations and camaraderie before the next instalment of the All Stars on the Gold Coast in February 2020.