News GI retirement thread/honouring GI

Curns13

Mar 10, 2019
I was at Suncorp the night of that try. He picked the ball up right in front of us in the away supporters section and scored in the opposite corner 100+ metres away amazing (AJ also debuted that night which was a cool bonus). As a Qld Rabbitohs fan, there is no one better than GI. When you think about it, GI and Sam are the two best Rabbitohs of the past 40 years. I’m really sad we don’t get to watch him play again. I would have loved just one more game so we could savour it. GI deserved that, but life isn’t always fair.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Don't forget to include in his list of achievements that he was also a contributor to the Storm losing a few premierships with shonky multiple contracts.

He was a brilliant player but obviously like some other players was ill advised by underhanded club management and player agent.

His retirement has also opened questions about his post footy career and whether he will be given a "token" job at a big "above market rate" salary while the Bunnies claim the full contract money as a cap deduction to get another player

Weidler and Gus Gould have already had a "discussion" about this and its really too soon to be doing hypotheticals unless they become fact..

Hopefully he will just be allowed to retire in peace and work on his health ...both physical and mental.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I was at Suncorp the night of that try. He picked the ball up right in front of us in the away supporters section and scored in the opposite corner 100+ metres away amazing (AJ also debuted that night which was a cool bonus). As a Qld Rabbitohs fan, there is no one better than GI. When you think about it, GI and Sam are the two best Rabbitohs of the past 40 years. I’m really sad we don’t get to watch him play again. I would have loved just one more game so we could savour it. GI deserved that, but life isn’t always fair.
He probably incurred his "shoulder injury" from his "tackle" on Dean Young.
Qld will miss him for his impact and the indigenous community will need a new "goanna" to represent them when a try is scored.

Curns13

Mar 10, 2019
He probably incurred his "shoulder injury" from his "tackle" on Dean Young.
Qld will miss him for his impact and the indigenous community will need a new "goanna" to represent them when a try is scored.
Aren’t you a barrel of laughs.

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Can you make the trip down for round 8?

callmack1

Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I must say - as much as I think GI was a top player I'm getting sick of the love-fest on FOX etc on him. Why do the media do this - go overboard ?

I know he's a great player but surely there is more in footie than him ?

NRL360 on Fox almost orgasmed last night over him.

A key story is the Cap - what will Souths be allowed to do. I'd like to see more on this. Did they encourage him - via a job and money - to retire ?

I hate to think what we'll get when Smith retires. Maybe a public holiday.

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
I wish you could make the trip over bro for round 8, it’d be so cool if you could somehow find a way and find cheap flights! Things are a bit cheaper here too than over there.

I know you probs can’t but I so wish you could, you’d have a friggin blast!

Reactions: callmack1

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
I must say - as much as I think GI was a top player I'm getting sick of the love-fest on FOX etc on him. Why do the media do this - go overboard ?

I know he's a great player but surely there is more in footie than him ?

NRL360 on Fox almost orgasmed last night over him.

A key story is the Cap - what will Souths be allowed to do. I'd like to see more on this. Did they encourage him - via a job and money - to retire ?

I hate to think what we'll get when Smith retires. Maybe a public holiday.
It’ll be triple the drama when Smith retires!

I guess it’s on a lot as it’s such a big news story and I guess it on some ways happened so quickly time frame wise. He’s a legend of our game and South Sydney!

Well I read somewhere he will get 300k pay from Souths, if that is the case we should have 700k spare in our cap for next season!

I notice though Paul Kent and co can’t stand Souths and they never have and they’d love to see us suffer over having anything good or reasonable happen to us. Just ask @southsport he can tell you all too well!

Reactions: callmack1

callmack1

Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
I wish you could make the trip over bro for round 8, it’d be so cool if you could somehow find a way and find cheap flights! Things are a bit cheaper here too than over there.

I know you probs can’t but I so wish you could, you’d have a friggin blast!
Same bro, I'd love nothing more but it's just not gonna happen. It'd be too hard with work too.

Reactions: Rabbits 21

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
It’ll be triple the drama when Smith retires!

I guess it’s on a lot as it’s such a big news story and I guess it on some ways happened so quickly time frame wise. He’s a legend of our game and South Sydney!

Well I read somewhere he will get 300k pay from Souths, if that is the case we should have 700k spare in our cap for next season!

I notice though Paul Kent and co can’t stand Souths and they never have and they’d love to see us suffer over having anything good or reasonable happen to us. Just ask @southsport he can tell you all too well!
Fox seem to have too little news and too many stations. But a really good 2-3 hour special would have been better imo. They could have shown that 2 or 3 times.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
The Storm lost TWO premierships and that wasn't the fault of the players.
actually the Storm "Lost" two premierships because players signed multiple contracts and some shonky third party deals.
The players definitely carried some fault in that but most fault was team management and player agents.