Opinion Friendly Etiquette ?

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Do you always put the toilet seat down......and check before you sit?
25295.jpg

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
What is the etiquette with visiting friends - to stay for more than a night - when you know you have a (bad) flu/virus ?

Should you warn them - tell them you are quite ill and ask if you should still come ?

We just had visitors - before our trip away - and they arrived full of a virus. She claimed it was "only a sinus" thing. So we kissed and hugged each other and sat close etc.

I noticed her husband starting to get it then. Very nasty cough - sore throat etc etc. They stayed a week. Now I have it - feeling quite bad.

When we were helping our son move up here he and I got something. I told friends who we had planned to stay with and said we couldn't come. They accepted it.

I guess I'm annoyed because I now have it - something I rarely get - and basically they lied about it. Apparently she did know it was a virus (the husband inadvertently told me). She did some teaching with kids before coming away and they had it.

Am I wrong - do you just turn up ? Or should you say something ?

They are very good friends - but surely you tell people if you are unwell - BEFORE hand.

Reactions: RADICAL RABBIT

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Probably better to have caught it now and build up some immunity before winter SJ.

Do people ring and let you know their kids are not vaccinated before they visit?
Do people let you know they are an obnoxious alcoholic before you offer them a beer?.

It is one of life's great mysteries that most people will share everything including the size of their "Nate Myles" on social media but not tell you if there is an issue when personal contact is involved.

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
What is the etiquette with visiting friends - to stay for more than a night - when you know you have a (bad) flu/virus ?

Should you warn them - tell them you are quite ill and ask if you should still come ?

We just had visitors - before our trip away - and they arrived full of a virus. She claimed it was "only a sinus" thing. So we kissed and hugged each other and sat close etc.

I noticed her husband starting to get it then. Very nasty cough - sore throat etc etc. They stayed a week. Now I have it - feeling quite bad.

When we were helping our son move up here he and I got something. I told friends who we had planned to stay with and said we couldn't come. They accepted it.

I guess I'm annoyed because I now have it - something I rarely get - and basically they lied about it. Apparently she did know it was a virus (the husband inadvertently told me). She did some teaching with kids before coming away and they had it.

Am I wrong - do you just turn up ? Or should you say something ?

They are very good friends - but surely you tell people if you are unwell - BEFORE hand.
That's disgraceful. I would never trust her again.