French Tours of England - Did they ever happen ???

The Partisan

Apr 30, 2013
Always been curious to know if France ever toured England (and Wales) in the past ?

Realise being near neighbours this would not have been as 'exciting' as heading down under - but would of been great for the code if it did happen ?

Of course, vica versa - Did England / GB ever tour France ?

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
English clubs sides got league under way in France with Tours, in particular the Salford club which is where the club got the nick name of Red Devils from or as the French called them diables rouges. England played Australia in an exhibition game in Paris in 1935 which is the first game of league in France and from there the game took hold. France, Enland (Also as GB) and Wales played Three Nations tournaments against each other right through to the 90's with each side playing home and away.

Reactions: H

The Partisan

Apr 30, 2013
Thanks H / NU. I was aware of the 1935 game and the tournament you mentioned but as fare as i can tell - no actual tours from the French to England /Wales have occurred.

By tour I mean a mix of club / regional games and Test matches (ala Kangaroo Tours of yesteryear). Pretty sure Australia has done tours of NZ and vica versa in the 50' / 60''s and 70's but have never heard of a northern hemisphere equivalent.