Rugby League FOUR NATIONS - WEEK TWO

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Saturday Nov 1:

NZ - (Hiku, Nightingale, Whare, Kenny-Dowall, Vatuvei, Foran, Johnson, Bromwich, Luke, Blair, Mannering, Proctor, Taumalolo. Int: Brown, Matagi, Taupau, Harris, Thompson) v Samoa - (Simona, Winterstein, Lafai, Leilua, Vidot, Roberts, Stanley, Liu, Godinet, Fa'alogo, Pritchard, Ah Mau, McGuire. Int: Lui, Sene-Lefao, Sue, Masoe, Peyroux, Manumalealii).

Sunday Nov 2:

Australia - (Inglis, Mansour, Jennings, Walker, Mata’utia, Cherry-Evans, Cronk, Woods, Smith, Thaiday, Scott, Bird, Parker. Int: Cordner, Farah, Guerra, Hoffman, Hunt, Klemmer, Papalii) v England - (S Tomkins, Charnley, Watkins, Shenton, Hall, Widdop, Smith, G Burgess, Hodgson, Graham, Farrell, J Tomkins. Int: Westerman, Clark, Ferres, T Burgess, Hill).

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St George Illawarra Dragons will have four players involved in the Four Nations Week 2 fixtures taking this weekend.
The New Zealand Kiwis will face Toa Samoa at Toll Stadium, Whangarei on Saturday.
The Kiwis have named Jason Nightingale on the wing who will earn his 21st cap for his country.
Furthermore Dragons prop Leeson Ah Mau and halfback Kyle Stanley have additionally been named for Toa Samoa.
Furthermore, the England Lions will tackle the Australia Kangaroos at AAMI Park, Melbourne on Sunday.
The Lions have again named Gareth Widdop as five-eighth and is poised to earn his tenth appearance for last tournament's runners-up.

I'll have to take Samoa and England ... :)

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I would be a *lot* more optimistic about England's chances if O'Loughlin was playing.
Still, he may yet.

Can't see Samoa turning over NZ, who will need no reminding of the World Cup. Kyle Stanley looked a bit fish out of water against England.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Come on England! Eat Kangaroo meat for dinner tonight.

After watching Samoa play yesterday it wouldn't surprise me to see the Samoans beat Australia next week either.
Looking forward t this game.

Although we are fielding perhaps the weakest team we have done in 30 years it would be good to see the Poms have a win.

Wouldn't it be "funny" if Australia came last !!!! Can you imagine the papers here ?

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
lol holy crap. Can you imagine the melt down if Aussie came last? I'd just about guartee that if Australia miss out on the final you see the likes of Rothfield and Paul Kent calling on the NRL to get rid of players from the NRL unless they are available to play for Australia.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
I think we're some way from there, but can't say the thought didn't cross my mind!

Samoa were much improved from their game against England, and I'm sure they'll revel in taking the Kangaroos on.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Your man Ah Mau really stepped up to the plate, SJ.
Yes - he's come on a bit over the past year. He may be a useful player in the big lot they are collecting.

But - we've seen the Aussies get done before and come back and win.

It is an opportunity for England though.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
I can see the Aussies getting beat today. The reason being that the Kiwis ran over the top of the Aussie pack. You look at the Pommy pack, biggest in world league and if the poms keep hold of the ball the Aussies will struggle to keep up with the poms.
Can't wait to see the Kiwis and poms live next week.

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Well, I dunno...

Been reading the Wigan fans' page on fb, and of course they are all up in arms about it. But if it had been an Aussie with his fingertip on the ball, would they think it was a try? In the NRL it would have been chalked off eight times out of ten I reckon, with the on-field ref saying no-try. And, to be fair, in real time nobody even thought there was a chance of a try.

England went into their shell a bit in the second half and stopped playing. Combined with a desperate, but ultimately successful substitution by Sheens, bringing on Hunt for Thaiday, which worked really well. i don't like Sheens but he deserves credit for that. Meanwhile McBanana kept danger man Clark off the pitch for much of the second half.

On the upside: we officially have a better attack than Australia, and we are not weaker than them in any department. For the first time in a while there was no "why have they picked that idiot?" look about the England team. Delighted to see Sarginson in the side, giving the team an even more Wigan-like look, and Smith and O'Loughlin and Tomkins got them running some nice crisp Wigan-style lines in the first half.

On the downside, I think NZ are a better side than the Kangaroos, and am less optimistic about beating them than I was against the Aussies at kick-off.

Looking at the points difference, Australia still aren't guaranteed a final spot; a narrow win over Samoa may not be enough to see them home.