Opinion FOOD THREAD

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I am definitely out of touch with trendy food.

Avo on toast (one slice) has now reached $21 ..at the airport.
You could buy at wooliies or coles enough to make 18 servings for $21.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Had some great Chinese tonight.
I like my local muslim Indian shop.
We went for buttered chicken and korma veggies (missus) while I like the Scottish created Chicken tika and curried veggies.
The tika was supposed ro be mild but they must have a new cook as it was hot enough to strip paint...but it tasted good as usual.

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
I like my local muslim Indian shop.
We went for buttered chicken and korma veggies (missus) while I like the Scottish created Chicken tika and curried veggies.
The tika was supposed ro be mild but they must have a new cook as it was hot enough to strip paint...but it tasted good as usual.
I got buttered chicken once at an Indian restaurant and there was bugger all chicken! :mad:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Doing a lamb roast - but - in the slow cooker. Been on now for a few hours. Anyone done this ?

Any tips ?

I'm still doing potatoes in the oven.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Corn beef tonight. I think its an acquired taste. Veges are done with it - in the slow cooker. With the right white sauce and parsley it is really nice - and tender.

I have to pick the right piece from Woolies - to fit the slow cooker. Shaped like a brick is best. The veges - potato, sweet potato, onion, carrot etc all so nice.

And - the pièce de résistance ... cabbage. I NEVER eat cabbage accept with this meal. Served alongside.

Left overs of the corn beef is awesome on a sandwich or toasted sandwich. Maybe mustard or an aioli on it.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Corn beef tonight. I think its an acquired taste. Veges are done with it - in the slow cooker. With the right white sauce and parsley it is really nice - and tender.

I have to pick the right piece from Woolies - to fit the slow cooker. Shaped like a brick is best. The veges - potato, sweet potato, onion, carrot etc all so nice.

And - the pièce de résistance ... cabbage. I NEVER eat cabbage accept with this meal. Served alongside.

Left overs of the corn beef is awesome on a sandwich or toasted sandwich. Maybe mustard or an aioli on it.
Starting to smell pretty good. I've just opened a nice little red.

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
Starting to smell pretty good. I've just opened a nice little red.
If you're not Jewish or Muslim. Steam cabbage -then on a pan - thinly slice bacon than for 30second or 1 minute (depends on the cooktop) with some oil then toss the cabbage in the pan...mix and serve. Don't over steam the cabbage and don't cook the bacon..it should be slightly. NOT crispy at all.

Reactions: S J

Bazza

Apr 11, 2016
If you're not Jewish or Muslim. Steam cabbage -then on a pan - thinly slice bacon than for 30second or 1 minute (depends on the cooktop) with some oil then toss the cabbage in the pan...mix and serve. Don't over steam the cabbage and don't cook the bacon..it should be slightly. NOT crispy at all.
steam with chicken stock also! instead of water.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Shapes - Vegemite and Cheese

On special - got a pack of the smaller bags. Quite nice of you like Veggie.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Yes - cabbage is a thing you like or not - can smell when you cook.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Having a Mexican night. Tacos, Burritos and Sangria .... always a favourite. Started with a few Kilkennys.

Great on a cold, wet, dark evening.

Ay Chiwawa !

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
I had a foot long meatball sub from Subway. Italian herb and cheese bread (not toasted), meatballs, old English cheese, spinach, pickles, carrot, cucumber, green capsican, olives, salt and pepper. :smug: