Rugby League ESL - Wigan - News, Views and Crews !

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
I just wanted to post that, apart from being an avid Roosters supporter (obviously), I am also a Wigan Warriors fan. I have been to a few games here in Australia (unfortunately, mainly WCC fixtures against the mighty Roosters), but none yet in the UK. I went to my first English Super League match in February last year when Wigan played Hull F.C. in a regular round match in Wollongong. I seriously enjoyed the experience - this being the closest experience I have had so far to that famous English supporter singing atmosphere. I would love to go to a Challenge Cup Final one day, not to mention an English football game. Certain additions to the bucket list!

I liked Wigan and Halifax when I was a kid. The first match I can remember was the 1987 CCF between Halifax and St Helens. Back then, I think the games were televised on Channel 10. My father used to get me up in the wee small hours to watch them. I loved it. I really need to subscribe to FOX League so can I see them again (along with the other NRL games, of course).

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Prop Liam Byrne has signed a new four-year deal with Super League side Wigan Warriors.

The 20-year-old Ireland international made his first-grade debut for Wigan in February 2019, and went on to feature 14 times for the club last season.

Warriors head coach Adrian Lam said Byrne is "in a great place to kick-on" with his career and development.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Wigan Warriors (12) 16
Tries: French, Penalty, Marshall Goals: Hardaker
Warrington Wolves (10) 10
Try: Murdoch-Masila Goals: Ratchford 3

Wigan won a physical and tense Super League season opener against a Warrington side that had captain Chris Hill sent off after just 23 minutes.

Hill was shown a red card for his high tackle on Sam Powell, which saw the hooker leave the field on a stretcher and Wigan awarded a penalty try.

Bevan French's earlier try, responding to Ben Murdoch-Masila's opener, ensured Wigan led 12-10 at the break.

Liam Marshall's winner came against 11 men, with Mike Cooper sin-binned.

It was not until the hosts had a two-man advantage that they managed to breach a resolute Wolves resistance, and still the visitors piled late pressure on in search of a try to send the game to golden-point extra-time.

Wigan, however, did enough defensively themselves to hold Steve Price's side at bay in exhausting display that set an thrilling tone for the 2020 Super League season.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Good job in the opening match against a tough and spirited Wolves team.

Thanks for the commentary SJ, I have not had a chance to watch the game.

Go the mighty Warriors!
I try to keep the news on ESL going. moto748 moto748 does a bit - but please add to it TFR if you have a point.

I always tell members - we're more than just a Saints/ Souths / SOO Forum. You can keep tabs on the game here and OS. Amazing which Aussies are playing overseas. And the development of the game in the USA etc.

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Noted, all good SJ.

I will certainly look to do that whenever I get the opportunity or have the time.

Presumably, it is a bit hard to get new contributors, as a lot would be on other forums such as LU, club sites or general RL locations, but I for one like WLF and hope to see it prosper going forward. I will spread the word where I can among my fellow Roosters supporters.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Date: Thursday, 13 February Kick-off: 19:45 GMT Venue: DW Stadium
Coverage: BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC local radio, BBC Sport website and app

Sonny Bill Williams will miss Toronto's Super League game at Wigan on Thursday as he has returned to his native New Zealand for the birth of his child.

The Wolfpack, promoted last season, have lost their first two Super League games to Castleford and Salford.

Wigan are again without hooker Sam Powell (head knock) and England prop George Burgess (hip).

Jake Shorrocks sustained a calf strain in Warriors' defeat at Castleford last time out and is also out of the squad.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Wigan (10) 32
Tries: Smith, French 2, Burgess, Farrell 2 Goals: Hardaker 4
Toronto (4) 10
Tries: Russell, Thompson Goals: Wallace

Wigan scored six tries as they beat a depleted Toronto who remain winless in their debut Super League season.

Former Wigan player Matty Russell's try put the Wolfpack ahead, but Harry Smith and Bevan French went over six minutes apart as the hosts led at half-time.

Toronto made a great start to the second half with Bodene Thompson's try, but a fantastic counter-attack by the Warriors saw Joe Burgess power over.

French's second and two Liam Farrell tries put the seal on the Wigan win.

The Wolfpack, who were without Sonny Bill Williams as he has returned to New Zealand for the birth of his fourth child, have now lost their opening three Super League matches, while Wigan have won two of their first three games after beating Warrington on opening day before losing to Castleford last week.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
An arm-wrestle in the first half, but we did score some lovely tries; Bevan French outstanding, and Liam Farrell returning the favour to him with an assist equally deft.

Reactions: S J