ESL ESL Toronto Wolf Pack

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
You have the Warriors, yes, but the NRL is vastly richer than SL. It is a money drain for Toronto's owners. How long will they be prepared to keeping chucking it in, and funding the cost of SL teams flying out there?

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
You have the Warriors, yes, but the NRL is vastly richer than SL. It is a money drain for Toronto's owners. How long will they be prepared to keeping chucking it in, and funding the cost of SL teams flying out there?
We need an Arab Sheik ...

RADICAL RABBIT

Feb 6, 2018
I'd like to see a New York City based club join the English Super League in the future. You could call them American Anacondas!

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Newly promoted Super League club Toronto Wolfpack have been asked to take a 'home' match to the Netherlands.

Wolfpack plan to play their first three home matches overseas because of the Canadian winter and unavailability of their Lamport Stadium until April 2020.

The Netherlands Rugby League has submitted a bid to host a fixture in either Rotterdam or Amsterdam.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Toronto Wolfpack face competition from "many clubs" to sign New Zealand cross-code star Sonny Bill Williams, says director of rugby Brian Noble.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Sonny Bill Williams has completed his cross-code return to rugby league after signing for Super League newcomers Toronto Wolfpack on a two-year deal.

It is the two-time rugby union World Cup winner's third stint in the 13-man code, the New Zealander having started his career in Australia's NRL in 2004.

"The club has big ambitions and big goals," the 34-year-old said.

"I want to be part of all this and do all I can to help reach those lofty goals."

The Wolfpack, a club owned by Australian mining tycoon David Argyle, have made Williams one of their two permitted marquee players on a deal believed to be worth £5m over two years.

It will make him the highest paid player in the history of either code, but his marquee status means that only the first £150,000 of his salary will count towards the club's salary cap.

southsport

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Sonny Bill Williams has completed his cross-code return to rugby league after signing for Super League newcomers Toronto Wolfpack on a two-year deal.

It is the two-time rugby union World Cup winner's third stint in the 13-man code, the New Zealander having started his career in Australia's NRL in 2004.

"The club has big ambitions and big goals," the 34-year-old said.

"I want to be part of all this and do all I can to help reach those lofty goals."

The Wolfpack, a club owned by Australian mining tycoon David Argyle, have made Williams one of their two permitted marquee players on a deal believed to be worth £5m over two years.

It will make him the highest paid player in the history of either code, but his marquee status means that only the first £150,000 of his salary will count towards the club's salary cap.
I think SBW found his Allan Bond, although I doubt if he needed to.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Toronto Wolfpacks surprised the rugby world earlier this month with the announcement that they are set to sign Sonny Bill Williams, making him the highest-paid rugby player in the world across both codes.

The Canadian club, who will embark on their first season in the Super League next year, are expected to continue their hunt for the world’s leading players and they could turn to the NRL to try and persuade some of the leading stars to join them.

Apparently looking at Smith, Wighton and Holmes.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Toronto Wolfpack have signed Leeds Rhinos prop Brad Singleton and London Broncos half-back James Cunningham for the 2020 season.

Singleton joins on a three-year deal while Cunningham's is two years.

The move reunites Cumbrian front-rower Singleton, 27, with his former boss Brian McDermott, and ends a 10-year association with the Rhinos.

Cunningham, 25, has played 136 games for Hull FC and the Broncos, and has been involved in the England set-up.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Four Toronto Wolfpack players have agreed contract extensions with the promoted Super League club. Half-back and captain Josh McCrone has signed for one more year with the Canadian side.

Hooker Andy Ackers and centres Gary Wheeler and Chase Stanley have all signed deals for two more years.

Wheeler is the only one of the quartet to have previously played in rugby league's top division during spells with St Helens and Warrington Wolves.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Toronto Wolfpack's Bodene Thompson, Gadwin Springer and Hakim Miloudi have signed extended contracts with the newly promoted Super League club.