ESL ESL News and Views - Such An Underrated Competition (Moto)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The National Rugby League's 'six again' rule, introduced in Australia for 2020, is under consideration by Rugby Football League law-makers.

The topic will be discussed during RFL Laws Committee talks on Wednesday.

Referees in the NRL can award another six tackles rather than a penalty if a team uses 'cynical' methods to halt the momentum of an attack.

The Laws Committee will also look at how to make the game safer following the coronavirus outbreak.

And they will discuss the findings of the recent coaches' webinar as to whether other areas of the game need to be adapted to protect players when the season begins again - with dropping golden point and unlimited interchanges among the options available.

Wakefield coach Chris Chester will be part of the call to give their thoughts to the committee.

moto748

Well Known Member
Sep 13, 2013
I hope they apply the 'six again' rule. Although I'd feel slightly happier about it if the side getting the extra tackles was allowed the option of the penalty (which I don't think is the case in the NRL, is it?). Imagine a side are a point behind with twenty seconds to go. They are pressing for a winning try, and the defenders lie all over them, figuring they can hold out the six again, whereas a penalty goal would see them defeated. Or maybe, in that situation, the ref just awards the pen anyway. If he can. I dunno.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
No - just 6 again. Penalties are from other infringements- usually - not the specific slowing the ruck. Although the Ref could use the Bin. He has discretion to, I guess - so a penalty can be applied - as in your situation above.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The 2020 Super League season will resume on 2 August, more than four months after it was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic. Three matches will be played on that date at one venue behind closed doors. The revised schedule will contain a further 15 rounds of fixtures, with a four-team play-offs and a Grand Final to follow - set to be in late November.

Remaining games will be played at "a small number of neutral venues" until government directives change.

On 2 August, Hull KR will play Toronto Wolfpack, champions St Helens will face Catalans Dragons and Huddersfield will take on Leeds - all matches that were postponed before the season was suspended.

A full round of fixtures will follow during the weekend of 8-9 August.

A date for fans being allowed back into stadiums remains flexible. Originally Super League clubs were working on the theory that 1 October was the earliest that could happen, but recent indications from government suggest it might be as early as September.

In the meantime the matches will be behind closed doors, with the select neutral venues most likely to be Headingley, Warrington, St Helens. Although Salford and Huddersfield also keen to host matches.

The advantage of the first three in particular is that they are all modern stadiums with good facilities and are owned by their clubs so there would be no potential clash with football co-hosts.

moto748

Well Known Member
Sep 13, 2013
People are moaning about the venues, but the NRL has shown that home advantage counts for very little with no crowds.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
People are moaning about the venues, but the NRL has shown that home advantage counts for very little with no crowds.
Not sure this is true. Some teams do well anywhere - others seem to do better at home. Home games played somewhere else are hardly "home" games.