ESL ESL News and Views - Such An Underrated Competition (Moto)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League and the Rugby Football League have suspended the season until 3 April as a result of the spread of coronavirus.

Most games went ahead as planned at the weekend, with the RFL saying on Friday that it would be "following the government's guidance as requested".

However, a change to government advice, warning against mass gatherings, has prompted the postponement.

It applies to all tiers, including the men's, women's and community game.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Well, if you turn on the TV, you get a lecture from the govt about staying indoors every ad break!

1408 deaths up to today in the UK.

Reactions: S J

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Oh, and Hungary is now a fully-fledged dictatorship. Because these 'strong leaders' there''s nothing they like more than seizing 'emergency powers'.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Well, if you turn on the TV, you get a lecture from the govt about staying indoors every ad break!

1408 deaths up to today in the UK.
Still - you have 70 million people.

The flu would have a strong affect every winter too - wouldn't it ?

I know they blame this on C19, but maybe some (old and frail) would have died anyway ?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
One in four NHS doctors are off sick.

This does not happen with flu.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
That 1408 deaths yesterday: it's now 1789 today.

And, by the way, that's just people dying in hospital. It doesn't include people dying at home.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
That 1408 deaths yesterday: it's now 1789 today.

And, by the way, that's just people dying in hospital. It doesn't include people dying at home.
Do they have figures for people who died around now every year ? From flu, old age, pneumonia ? What is the difference I mean - is it a lot higher ?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
THIS IS NOTHING LIKE FLU OR 'OLD 'AGE'! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO WAKE UP TO THAT??

Australia has had, what, 20 or so deaths so far.There were 563 in the UK yesterday. And there will be more tomorrow. If you were in the UK, would you take it seriously? How long to do you think it will be before Australia has hundreds of deaths a day?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
THIS IS NOTHING LIKE FLU OR 'OLD 'AGE'! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO WAKE UP TO THAT??

Australia has had, what, 20 or so deaths so far.There were 563 in the UK yesterday. And there will be more tomorrow. If you were in the UK, would you take it seriously? How long to do you think it will be before Australia has hundreds of deaths a day?
I fully appreciate that - but have they identified rates of death compared to the usual ? Often we only see stats that show figures that are hard to break down.

I'd like % of people tested that then are shown to have it - vis a vis population. Then deaths also done this way - but include the "normal" annual deaths at this time of the year - by age group etc. It seems we are not being given the full picture.

You have had "563" deaths from 60 million people. So far we've had "20" from 26 million. WHY ? Is it "separation" policy ? Is it the fact we are not connected by land to anywhere else ? Is it because we stopped "inflow" quickly ? Is it because we are warm at the moment and you are cold ?

It is a very bad situation but the media IS using it and doing their best to create panic.

I believe numbers are always up at this time. I'm trying to find our who died and why. A number of ours have been quite old AND suffering from other things - eg cancer, etc. This must come into the equation.

We fully understand the magnitude of the problem.

Archie

Jul 30, 2017
I fully appreciate that - but have they identified rates of death compared to the usual ? Often we only see stats that show figures that are hard to break down.

I'd like % of people tested that then are shown to have it - vis a vis population. Then deaths also done this way - but include the "normal" annual deaths at this time of the year - by age group etc. It seems we are not being given the full picture.

You have had "563" deaths from 60 million people. So far we've had "20" from 26 million. WHY ? Is it "separation" policy ? Is it the fact we are not connected by land to anywhere else ? Is it because we stopped "inflow" quickly ? Is it because we are warm at the moment and you are cold ?

It is a very bad situation but the media IS using it and doing their best to create panic.

I believe numbers are always up at this time. I'm trying to find our who died and why. A number of ours have been quite old AND suffering from other things - eg cancer, etc. This must come into the equation.

We fully understand the magnitude of the problem.
Good points SJ. If we're doing so bad here - in handling it - why aren't we as bad as there ? It is hard to work out.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Good points SJ. If we're doing so bad here - in handling it - why aren't we as bad as there ? It is hard to work out.
Looking at a map - if you draw a line across the globe - the north seems worse than the south. WHY ?

Is it the warmth ? Is it the life style ? Is it the natural separation - but then why in India/Africa etc ?

Is it because Africa/India/South America/Asia is NOT testing as much ?

It is a pity they stopped working on the 2nd Sars virus in 2003. It may have been a help.

Also - how many diagnosed - but recovered ? - Why ?

How many diagnosed but found to have anti-bodies ? - Why ?

Last edited:

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
The media is NOT using it! For ll their faults and biases, broadly speaking, they are not. Why would they want to do that? What is in it for them? It suits you to say that, because you persist in believing that it;s not *that* bad, old people die anyway, what about the flu, etc etc. Somehow you almost sound like your hero Trump, who reckoned it was nothing to worry about.

Have you read the figures from the US and Europe?

Why is it worse in the Northern Hemisphere? Well, I can think of one obvious and plausible reason: generally speaking the Northern Hemisphere is a lot richer than the South; it has a lot more globe-trotting people, whether it's European back-packers or American businessmen. Hence the initial spread of the disease across the world. |The fact that Australia has had less cases thus far is almost entirely due to the very well-observed fact that it is literally 'behind the curve' compared to other countries. There have been plenty of graphics produced, showing that, if you measure from the date when had a country first had 10 fatalities (rather than a fixed date in time), the curves for all countries are remarkably similar.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
moto748 moto748 Are you suggesting we are still to hit the peak ? That our graph showing a fall is not true ? We are "behind the curve" ?

Where has this fact been well observed ?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
SJ I have spent some time explaining to you what the situation is like in Europe and elsewhere with verifiable and checkable facts and references. I have done this out of a sense of concern that people in Australia (if posters on this forum are anything like typical) do not seem to be taking the crisis sufficiently seriously, seemingly preferring to believe that it is all "exaggerated by the media" (out of the Trump playbook, indeed).

Whatever you ask me for, it clearly will never satisfy you.

I suggest that in future you DYOR, and I will will not waste my time and energy posting further.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I don't doubt what you say moto748 moto748 - I just don't think you realise what is happening here. We are in lockdown - only go out for emergencies and groceries.

Do you appreciate that ? The ones you see on TV are the idiots that don't follow the "rules". 99.9% DO follow the rules ! The media shows the 0.1% !

Do you know the curve here is going flat/down ? We may have a spike in winter - who knows - but I'd hope we have something by then - ie 2 months.