ESL ESL News and Views - Such An Underrated Competition (Moto)

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I was there! Much like the NRL GF, not a game that will stay long in the memory, but won by excellent defence and good execution when limited attacking opportunities came along. A fitting send-off to Shaun Wane, for whom I am immensely pleased, and the other departing players. Sam Tomkins will be a big loss , but I fear John Bateman will be a bigger one. As I said to my mate half-way through the second half, Ratchford was clearly MotM, even in a beaten side; he was exceptional.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Saw a little bit - but taped it so will watch later.

Re MoTM - you do see that at times - but its rare they reward them.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
If the MoM decision had been at 80 minutes, his late second try might have swung it for Dom Manfredi, who was superb in both attack and defence, saving tries at one end and scoring them at the other. A fitting reward for his dedication to come back from a two-year injury that threatened his career.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
SL is pretty much copying all the current (2018) NRL laws. So, shot clocks, ditch the 'free-play' rule, and, most controversially, Golden Point. Like many, I don't like GP and would like to see the back of it in NRL and SL.

There still should be one set of rules, though. And as NRL and SL rules increasingly align, it makes the 'International Rules' even more of a joke.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
SL is pretty much copying all the current (2018) NRL laws. So, shot clocks, ditch the 'free-play' rule, and, most controversially, Golden Point. Like many, I don't like GP and would like to see the back of it in NRL and SL.

There still should be one set of rules, though. And as NRL and SL rules increasingly align, it makes the 'International Rules' even more of a joke.
I like GP in big games - eg finals, GF. You need a winner. BUT - I don't see a problem in a draw in the rounds. Can make things interesting when sides start getting 1 point. Throw in the byes and it appears as if teams are doing better than they are … :) Adds interest.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League poised to follow the NRL’s lead and introduce a second referee after adopting golden-point extra time, a reduction from 10 to eight interchanges and shot clocks for scrums and drop-outs for this coming season. The changes, which also include time off whenever the ball is out of play in the last five minutes of matches, will bring Super League closely in line with the rules in the NRL and the northern-hemisphere competition will also trial two referees this year.

The new rules will be in place for next month’s World Club Challenge between Sydney Roosters and Wigan, which is likely to feature a single referee for the last time. It is unclear whether the changes will flow to international level, with Tests currently controlled by one referee and teams allowed 10 interchanges each, while there is no golden point or shot clock.

@moto748 ?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I'll check on that, but I haven't heard about any talk of two refs here. The rest, yeah. And I agree about no GP in normal games, personally.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
But one way or another, as I've said before, it's a joke that we play different rules in different countries; what other sport does that? If we want to be taken seriously, rules should be standardised, and the sooner, the better.

Reactions: S J

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Apparently two refs is being trialled in U19 games in 2019, with a view to extending it to SL matches in 2020.
I don't know where they are going to find the extra refs from.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
But one way or another, as I've said before, it's a joke that we play different rules in different countries; what other sport does that? If we want to be taken seriously, rules should be standardised, and the sooner, the better.
So true. It could happen in some minor junior things - but not at the top level.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
A rugby league player has been found dead in his hotel room the morning after making his debut for Championship side Batley Bulldogs at Toulouse.

The club said it was "greatly saddened to announce the passing" of scrum-half Archie Bruce, 20.

Inquiries are being conducted in France and the club's players have delayed their return home.

Club chairman Kevin Nicholas said: "The Bruce family have requested privacy during this most difficult of times."

He said that Batley Bulldogs, the Rugby Football League and the league's benevolent fund will be supporting the family.

@moto748 Any news ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Batley Bulldogs scrum-half Archie Bruce died as a result of asphyxiation, a post-mortem examination has found.

Reactions: ALX22

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St Helens forward Matty Lees has been nominated for the Super League Young Player of the Year award. The 21-year-old has been shortlisted alongside Leeds Rhinos pair Jack Walker and Harry Newman, Castleford's Jake Trueman and Morgan Smithies of Wigan.

Forward Smithies, 18, is the youngest of the quintet up for the gong. The winner will be named at the Super League Awards on 6 October.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Warrington's Blake Austin, St Helens' Lachlan Coote, Salford's Jackson Hastings, Castleford's Liam Watts and Wigan's George Williams are the five nominees for the 2019 Steve Prescott Man of Steel award.
The shortlist means all five teams in the play-offs are represented.
Australians Austin, Coote and Hastings are all in their first full season in Super League.
The winner will be announced on Sunday, 6 October.
The award was inaugurated in 1977 and ex-England, Hull FC, Wakefield and St Helens full-back Steve Prescott, who died of stomach cancer in 2013, had his name added to it in 2014.